Do you need a car in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PooshBag

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

Just a quick question. Do you think it is helpful or necessary to have a car in medical school? Would it make life easier or be something completely unneeded and a waste of space? I'm still far from matriculating and being accepted, but I was just curious.

And, if you do have a car, I'd love to hear what you drive, just for the fun of it.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

depends greatly on the city and the location of clerkships

Reactions: 1 user
^ This. Plus what kind of answer were you expecting? If you live close to the med school/hospitals and can walk, then you walk. If there's good public transit, then use that. If you live too far away for a reasonable walk and parking is not too insane, then you drive.

I drive a Toyota Corolla, so gas expenses are pretty low for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fair enough. Thanks for the replies.

I'd say if you already have a car, keep it for school. If not, it's not worth the extra money.

Also, it really depends on where you go to school... For example, Rochester quite literally requires you to have a car because the public transit there isn't the best. On the other hand, going to a school like Stanford means that you'll probably just need a bike and money for the BART (public transit).

There are very few schools that you can get away with not needing a car at least at some point. I was lucky enough to not need one, but it was because I was lucky with my rotations and was never placed in any away locations that needed a car. I still bike to the hospital/class everyday and it's great. I do however plan to get a car for residency, since I'll finally be able to afford one then.

If you go to a Med school in a major metropolitan area with good public transportation you should be able to do years 1-2 without needing a car.

If you go to a Med school in a major metropolitan area with good public transportation you should be able to do years 1-2 without needing a car.

If the public transportation is so great, then why wouldn't that apply to years 3-4 as well?

I'm thinking schools like NYU, Cornell, Sinai, Columbia.

You could probably get by without a car ever at those schools.

If the public transportation is so great, then why wouldn't that apply to years 3-4 as well?

I'm thinking schools like NYU, Cornell, Sinai, Columbia.

You could probably get by without a car ever at those schools.

1) Some places have good public transportation that isn't 24/7. So, the line you need isn't running when you need to go in for Surgery pre-rounds.

2) Some schools in places with good public transportation, have a few rotations at more distant hospitals. So the transit doesn't go out that far, or doesn't run at the times you'd need (see #1)

Reactions: 4 users
It also depends on you. I'm perfectly fine walking up to 2 miles (rural, suburbs, urban, doesn't matter) and biking 10-15ish miles to get from home to class, so a lot of places I would only use a car if weather requires it

If a car is too expensive at the moment...then I recommend this bad boy.

151214100212-hoverboard-sales-780x439.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't have a car in med school and the school worked with me to set up rotations I could get to by bus or walking. So it's possible. In general, I would say that you will often not need a car for the first two years, and you sometimes will need one for the last two. I did rent a car for one month as an MS4 since I didn't want to be taking the bus to the county hospital at odd times of the day and night. :hungover:

I got along without a car just fine in MS1/2. I bought a car for MS3, mainly because I had a few rotations that were a 20-30 minute drive from the main campus and because buses didn't run to my part of town before 5am. I use this car for 2-3 months out of the year. The rest of the time, I still take public transit and save myself the gas and parking costs.

That being said, in my city many people just bike to the hospital. I have zero biking skills and didn't want to end up as a trauma admit, so I bought a car.

In Texas, yes. In NYC or Boston, maybe not. Way too much variation between locations.

We're "required" to have cars, although you can get through 1st and 2nd year without one.

I drive a Nissan Altima ;)

It depends... Like I doubt you'll go to school in downtown Chicago with a car.

In NYC, most all of the the trains and buses run 24/7, though the late night buses and trains are less frequent. Also, parking in NYC is an expensive nightmare so for any of the schools in NYC, a car is highly discouraged.

In NYC, most all of the the trains and buses run 24/7, though the late night buses and trains are less frequent. Also, parking in NYC is an expensive nightmare so for any of the schools in NYC, a car is highly discouraged.
God bless Texas.. I couldn't imagine life without a car hahaha

As others have said, it depends entirely on the school and city. I didn't have a car until a little more than half way through MS3 and that was only because my in-laws got a new car and just gave us an old Accord. Made it work between public transit and walking in a less than public transit friendly city.

Now, I gave my new Mazda 3 to my wife and am running to the hospital again. Totally worth it.

In NYC, absolutely 100% not. Elsewhere, can't really help you. It really depends on how far you live from the school and what the public transportation system is like / whether you would like to bike instead.

^ This. Plus what kind of answer were you expecting? If you live close to the med school/hospitals and can walk, then you walk. If there's good public transit, then use that. If you live too far away for a reasonable walk and parking is not too insane, then you drive.

I drive a Toyota Corolla, so gas expenses are pretty low for me.

lol

Do you need a car in med school?
Sometimes.
K.

/thread