Do you need a degree to get into vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kiwi210

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was planning on just going to school to get my pre-reqs while continuing to work at a small animal clinic and gaining a lot of exotic experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Slow down with the threads there, cowgirl.

There's a search box at the top right of your screen. Click on "More..." and have it search in the pre-vet forum only - it'll take some scrolling to find it. Then search away. Lots of helpful info in old threads.

For the sake of answering your question - no, you don't have to have a degree to apply to vet school. You only need the required courses (which are a little bit different for each school, so you will have to do some research and make sure you have everything is taken care of).

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry!! I just have so many questions.

But would I have a higher chance of getting in if I have a degree in something or does it not matter? I was literally planning on just being a part time student and taking only pre-req courses while I work/research etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think some schools will give you extra points or whatever for having a completed degree. Michigan State comes to mind. I think most schools only care about the pre-reqs, though. Well, aside from the GRE, LORs, experience, etc. that is.

Reactions: 1 user

But would I have a higher chance of getting in if I have a degree in something or does it not matter? I was literally planning on just being a part time student and taking only pre-req courses while I work/research etc.

I don't think you will have higher chances, but the vast majority of those accepted to vet schools have at least a bachelor's degree.

Also, you really need to stop and think things through a bit. Being a part time student is great, but schools also like to see that you can handle the tough curriculum that is vet school. Schools will look at things such as: how many credit hours/semester did this student manage? How well did they handle that? What courses were taken during that term. If you can handle taking around 15+ credit hours of science courses and do well then they will be more likely to think that you could also handle a vet school curriculum. Also, getting a degree could be a good fall back should vet school not work out for whatever reason (obviously we hope this doesn't happen, but it does and is nice to have a fall back without having to go back to school again).

Personally, I think it's very possible to get accepted without a Bachelor's. I applied this cycle as a Junior and was successfully accepted into both Out-of-State and In-State schools. It didn't seem to bother or hinder my application that I was applying without a degree, but I made sure to get the GRE done early, my pre-reqs taken care of, and I had quite a bit of experience before I applied, which helped me a ton. Managing everything is key.

As someone else has already mentioned, do you think you will be able to complete all of the pre-reqs on time as a part time student? It definitely depends on the school you are applying to, but personally all of my semesters were absolutely jammed full (18-20 credits) to get everything in. I know that one adcom mentioned during an interview that even though I won't have a Bachelor's, they thought I well prepared because I took 3-5 upper science classes every semester. That might be something to consider as well, since there are a few schools that weigh in "rigor" of your school and classload/credits.

Last edited:

How are you going to handle vet school if your only experience is being a part-time student? Serious question. Vet school is extremely academically intense.

Taking only pre-reqs and working is risky, as you maybe completely underprepared for the amount of classes you will be taking in vet school. I would highly suggest being a full-time student for at least a short period of time to make sure you can handle the workload.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm actually only one credit short of being full time. I am taking physics, chem, and Calc along with working 25 hours a week and taking up an internship at an aquarium. I think I'll be pretty busy this semester.

I'm actually only one credit short of being full time. I am taking physics, chem, and Calc along with working 25 hours a week and taking up an internship at an aquarium. I think I'll be pretty busy this semester.

Yes, but depending on the scoring system, your being "busy" will still not resonate that you are capable of handling a full load.

You really need to be full time. 3 classes isn't much at all, even with it being all math and science. Unless you are a non-traditional with a real full-time job and a family, there is not reason not to take a full load every semester.

Are you at the State College Campus and plan on driving to Baltimore? Even on weekends, that's like a 3 hour drive to the Inner Harbor if traffic doesn't suck. im assuming the internship will be over the weekend, but just be aware you're going to lose a lot of free time especially if you're still working.

I wish from now on school would advise people who are completely sold on vet school to ONLY take prerequisites. Saves everyone time and money and is common sense. But then again they wouldn't get your $$$ for the women's studies department.

I wish from now on school would advise people who are completely sold on vet school to ONLY take prerequisites. Saves everyone time and money and is common sense. But then again they wouldn't get your $$$ for the women's studies department.
Seriously that was my plan. And if it doesn't work out my back up plan is to go to school to become a CVT.

Are you at the State College Campus and plan on driving to Baltimore? Even on weekends, that's like a 3 hour drive to the Inner Harbor if traffic doesn't suck. im assuming the internship will be over the weekend, but just be aware you're going to lose a lot of free time especially if you're still working.
I am actually at the Berks campus. I live about 30 south of there and commute. Baltimore is only about an hour away from me.

Members don't see this ad :)
While some schools do take into account your work experience, I would still recommend for you to be a full-time student if you can. As a Junior, you will be applying and competing against people that have another year of experience ahead of you, AND most likely a full-time student status with a Bachelor's degree, and some work and get experience on top of that as well.

Since some schools take into account rigor (for instance, at Mizzou your courseload is considered 6 points out of 40. 12 credits or less would get you a 0, while 18 or more would get you 6), I would highly suggest to be full-time and take upper science courses to be considered competitive.

It's good advice for saving money and time, but think of how many people don't actually get into vet school either on their first or subsequent tries. Those people (in addition to the small percentage that fail or drop out) are up a creek without a paddle at that point. Additionally (in my own personal opinion) college is a great learning and growing experience for everyone and being there just to get your courses in takes away from that. If you can't afford it or want to save the money, I can't argue with that, but I think the net positive of getting your degree is worth consideration for those who can swing it.

Reactions: 5 users
No, you don't need a Bachelor's degree to get into vet school; I'm still planning on completing mine, however, just in case I don't get accepted so I can pursue my back-up plan. I know that, as pre-vets, we'd like to think that we all will get in, but that isn't necessarily the case. Vet schools are highly competitive, and even if you think yourself to be a qualified applicant, you may still not get in if the applicant body your cycle happens to be particularly competitive.

That being said, I'm echoing everyone else's sentiments here: I understand the desire to be a part-time student with the internship and job and all, but I seriously think that you need to do, if nothing else, one or two semesters full-time. Actually, preferably 15 or more hours with mostly upper-division science. You're not a non-traditional who is working full-time or raising a family; there isn't much of a reason to only be going part-time. I've personally taken 16-20 hours every semester while working 30+ hours a week and shadowing on the side. Have my grades suffered for it? Maybe a bit, but they are still considerably competitive - at least for my IS and the OOS that I plan on applying to. Unless you literally can't afford to (and even then, surely you could apply for grants and scholarships?), I really, really think you'd get far more out of your time in undergrad by being a full-time student.

It is doable. Is it easy? No, but neither is vet school. It's extremely academically rigorous, and I think everyone else is pointing you in the right direction. The point is that you're going to need to show adcomms that you have not only the raw intelligence to handle a vet school curriculum, but also the discipline, drive and time management skills. That is what you will need to prove, and working part-time while going to school part-time... it won't look too good. You will be taking 20+ hours of hard science in vet school - you need to demonstrate to schools that you can succeed in such a challenging environment. I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but I think the other posters really are bringing up legitimate concerns.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
From Penn Vet's requirements:

While we do consider junior year applicants (90 credits), the more academic course work you have completed the stronger the application.

Personally not many people get into Penn without a degree. IMO someone who has ONLY ever been a part time student is going to struggle to get in, and is going to struggle if they get to school.

I was a full time worker, and a part time post-bac student (plus volunteering), and found the workload a lot harder in vet school.

How are you going to handle vet school if your only experience is being a part-time student? Serious question. Vet school is extremely academically intense.

Taking only pre-reqs and working is risky, as you maybe completely underprepared for the amount of classes you will be taking in vet school. I would highly suggest being a full-time student for at least a short period of time to make sure you can handle the workload.

*shrug* I only took 2 classes per semester, WTF....... I mean, I think your point is valid, and there are definitely schools with a narrow focus on just how many classes you take..... but it's a really poor measure of someone's ability to 'manage workload'.

So, one person took 5 classes/semester off of mom 'n dad's money and lived on campus and had no responsibility other than passing classes as a 20-year-old with a brain completely primed to learn.

I took 2 classes a semester as an older person with a less-primed brain while working 50 hours a week, managing a household with 3 kids, volunteering one afternoon a week at the university hospital, and spending a full day in a private clinic every week.

Which one demonstrates an ability to 'manage workload' better?

I guess I'm just saying I'd be cautious about judging someone's workload based solely on class load.

The flip side is that the only assessment that matters is the one the schools use. And I think it's definitely true that there are some schools that 'get it' and some that have a narrower 'academic-only' focus. *shrug*

Like most other pre-vet admissions questions, it comes down to one rule: become ridiculously familiar with the admissions procedures at the schools you are interested in and tailor your application to fit.

It's good advice for saving money and time, but think of how many people don't actually get into vet school either on their first or subsequent tries. Those people (in addition to the small percentage that fail or drop out) are up a creek without a paddle at that point. Additionally (in my own personal opinion) college is a great learning and growing experience for everyone and being there just to get your courses in takes away from that. If you can't afford it or want to save the money, I can't argue with that, but I think the net positive of getting your degree is worth consideration for those who can swing it.

Why are they up a creek without a paddle? Is there something that prevents them from returning to undergrad classes to finish up?

I dunno, TRH. I'm totally on board with "do the minimum to try and get in" - it just seems to me that the 'con' of "what if I don't get in?" is overwhelmed by the pro of potentially saving 1.5 years or so of undergrad tuition. Worst case, you don't get in ... and you go pay for the extra undergrad schooling you would have done anyway? I'm not even sure it's a real 'con'?

*shrug* I only took 2 classes per semester, WTF....... I mean, I think your point is valid, and there are definitely schools with a narrow focus on just how many classes you take..... but it's a really poor measure of someone's ability to 'manage workload'.

So, one person took 5 classes/semester off of mom 'n dad's money and lived on campus and had no responsibility other than passing classes as a 20-year-old with a brain completely primed to learn.

I took 2 classes a semester as an older person with a less-primed brain while working 50 hours a week, managing a household with 3 kids, volunteering one afternoon a week at the university hospital, and spending a full day in a private clinic every week.

Which one demonstrates an ability to 'manage workload' better?

I guess I'm just saying I'd be cautious about judging someone's workload based solely on class load.

The flip side is that the only assessment that matters is the one the schools use. And I think it's definitely true that there are some schools that 'get it' and some that have a narrower 'academic-only' focus. *shrug*

Like most other pre-vet admissions questions, it comes down to one rule: become ridiculously familiar with the admissions procedures at the schools you are interested in and tailor your application to fit.

Maybe it is just me, but I find a massive difference between a 35 year old with a career, kids, etc doing a part-time schedule to obtain pre-reqs vs. a 20 something year old doing a part-time schedule, part-time work and maybe shadowing/volunteering a bit. Personally, I did 18+ credits/semester and still worked 20-30 hours/week and still volunteered. So who is better prepared? The person with the part-time school schedule/work or the one with full time school schedule and work. I think the point is that this person (as far as we are aware) is not some career changer in their 30's with a family to take care of and a full time job to uphold. So this person will have to compete against those that are "non-traditional" and truly balancing quite a hectic schedule and those that are in their 20's but have been able to do school full-time, work part-time and volunteer.

Why are they up a creek without a paddle? Is there something that prevents them from returning to undergrad classes to finish up?

I dunno, TRH. I'm totally on board with "do the minimum to try and get in" - it just seems to me that the 'con' of "what if I don't get in?" is overwhelmed by the pro of potentially saving 1.5 years or so of undergrad tuition. Worst case, you don't get in ... and you go pay for the extra undergrad schooling you would have done anyway? I'm not even sure it's a real 'con'?

The other thing that this person will have to keep in mind as a non-degree student, is that priority for certain courses is given to degree seeking students. Even as a junior, with a stated major I still had to fill out a couple petitions and sit in/show up first day to see if students would not show up and I could get their spot in the class. Certain courses, depending upon the school, fill up quickly and then you can not get into those classes once they fill up. This is going to heavily depend upon the school but it is something to keep in mind.

Obviously saving the undergrad tuition is nice and I agree with doing it if you can. My point with the "having something to fall back on" is that if you get to vet school, get through a year or two and then something comes up and you don't finish/can't finish then you are already at a point of having a degree and having the potential to use that degree to get a job without having to go back to school (thus more time for your vet school loans to accrue interest). I understand that not many people get to vet school and don't finish, but there are a few in each class, so the potential is there.

The other thing that this person will have to keep in mind as a non-degree student, is that priority for certain courses is given to degree seeking students. Even as a junior, with a stated major I still had to fill out a couple petitions and sit in/show up first day to see if students would not show up and I could get their spot in the class. Certain courses, depending upon the school, fill up quickly and then you can not get into those classes once they fill up. This is going to heavily depend upon the school but it is something to keep in mind.

Obviously saving the undergrad tuition is nice and I agree with doing it if you can. My point with the "having something to fall back on" is that if you get to vet school, get through a year or two and then something comes up and you don't finish/can't finish then you are already at a point of having a degree and having the potential to use that degree to get a job without having to go back to school (thus more time for your vet school loans to accrue interest). I understand that not many people get to vet school and don't finish, but there are a few in each class, so the potential is there.

Another thing to consider is that if you're non-degree seeking, you don't qualify for most financial aid. There might be some outside sources that can help with the cost of classes, but I don't think any sort of governmental funds can go to non-degree seeking students.

Another thing to consider is that if you're non-degree seeking, you don't qualify for most financial aid. There might be some outside sources that can help with the cost of classes, but I don't think any sort of governmental funds can go to non-degree seeking students.

I believe you also have to be taking a minimum of 12 credit hours/semester to be considered for financial aid, if I remember correctly.

First off, my point with the 'workload' was that the way some schools evaluate workload just plain sucks. I think you went right past that. :)

I still don't see that paying extra to finish a degree ahead of time on the off chance you fail out of vet school is a smart risk:reward evaluation. Maybe at a place like Ross, which has a high attrition rate, it would make more sense. But here, for instance, where our attrition rate is very small .... you're undertaking thousands in extra debt - that will accumulate into more thousands with interest payments while you're in training for another 4, 5, or 8 years (DVM, DVM+internship, DVM+internship+residency).... to be prepared for the 1-4% chance you won't make it through the program?

That doesn't seem wise to me.

Obviously every person has a different level of risk acceptance, so there's no "right" answer. But I think you'd have to be SUPER risk averse, and perhaps a bit financially unwise, to decide that it's better to finish an undergrad degree purely for the reasons you're suggesting. There are other factors, though - like the admissions policies at the vet school to which you're applying, or just plain academic interest, or ... whatever ... that might make it worthwhile. But if it's only "to be prepared if you don't get in or fail out"? That's overkill.

I believe you also have to be taking a minimum of 12 credit hours/semester to be considered for financial aid, if I remember correctly.

You're probably right. I honestly didn't pay attention to the minimum credit requirements since I was always well above it. I only found out about the non-degree seeking part when I took online classes or courses over the summer at a different school.

Obviously every person has a different level of risk acceptance, so there's no "right" answer. But I think you'd have to be SUPER risk averse, and perhaps a bit financially unwise, to decide that it's better to finish an undergrad degree purely for the reasons you're suggesting. There are other factors, though - like the admissions policies at the vet school to which you're applying, or just plain academic interest, or ... whatever ... that might make it worthwhile. But if it's only "to be prepared if you don't get in or fail out"? That's overkill.

I agree with you and most vet school admission policies state that a degree is not needed, but if you look at their stats of accepted students, there are maybe 1 or 2 students without a degree that are accepted each year. I don't see anything wrong with applying a year early when already signed up as a degree seeking student and if you get in, then by all means go for it, but I find it a massive risk to sit back as a 20 year old and say I will just take pre-reqs, work part-time and do some volunteer stuff. To me, it shows that you are doing the minimum you possibly can to get accepted.

As an adcom, what is making me pick the person doing the bare minimum over the student doing the full-time schedule and taking more than just the pre-reqs? That student doing the bare minimum had better have some gleaming, gold, fancy schmancy other part of their application that just makes me want them in my school, because as an adcom I will have 200+ other students who have done much more than the bare minimum.

Obviously, this is not talking about non-trads. I find it acceptable for a non-trad to just do pre-reqs. That might seem a bit biased or "unfair" but there are definite reasons for that and I am sure you get why I say that.

I agree with you and most vet school admission policies state that a degree is not needed, but if you look at their stats of accepted students, there are maybe 1 or 2 students without a degree that are accepted each year.

True, though we did have more in my class - I know of at least 6 that received their degree after the first year. So I wonder if the landscape is changing, or if it's just noise in the statistics, or ....

So I guess the question is: is it only 1-2 (or whatever) students because that's just the traditional route (finishing a degree)? Or is it 1-2 (or whatever) because schools preferentially admit people with degrees?

I suspect that it's some of the latter but quite a bit of the former. I've given a lot of tours, and most undergrads are surprised to find out you can get in without a degree - they just assumed it was required.

As an adcom, what is making me pick the person doing the bare minimum over the student doing the full-time schedule and taking more than just the pre-reqs? That student doing the bare minimum had better have some gleaming, gold, fancy schmancy other part of their application that just makes me want them in my school, because as an adcom I will have 200+ other students who have done much more than the bare minimum.

Yeah, but that's at DVMD CVM. And if it were LIS CVM I'd look at it the same way you do. But some schools place a lot of emphasis on academic workload and some don't.

So it all comes back to what I was really trying to say: you need to be intimately familiar with the schools you want to apply to. If they place a lot of value on a heavy academic load ... well then. You'd better do it. But if they don't ... why bother? Go get the background that they DO place emphasis on.

That might seem a bit biased or "unfair" but there are definite reasons for that and I am sure you get why I say that.

Totally. :)

Yeah, but that's at DVMD CVM. And if it were LIS CVM I'd look at it the same way you do. But some schools place a lot of emphasis on academic workload and some don't.

DVMD CVM is opening up soon.... I will teach about dragons and the healing powers of unicorn poop... :)

Reactions: 3 users
I do see what you're saying LIS, but like DVMD said I think the difference there is one of maturity. Someone who has been around for a while, had jobs, managed family, has had more life experience, etc. is already better equipped to handle certain demands (on average) than a 20 year old college student.

I don't mean it to sound all "Oh kids nowadays, they know nothing" - not at all. Just that I think older non-trads who take the part-time route usually have a lot of experience already in terms of time management and stress. So it isn't usually as necessary for them to "immerse" themselves. The average college-age person does not have as much life experience to draw on (yet) so they have to take what is available at that stage in their life - classes, working, volunteering.

And as much as I hate to say it, vet schools is SO academically oriented for the first 3 years, I don't think an experience of only taking classes part time will work for everyone. Some people like you, who already have juggled a lot of things in life, may work it out. But not everyone. That being said, I do agree that how school evaluate "workload" leaves quite a bit to be desired.

You're absolutely right - they can go back and finish. I didn't mean for it to sound like that's the end of the education line. WhenI reflect on it more, I guess I just see college as an important time for people to mature. I know a lot of people that went through college and changed their mind from vet med, and not just because the courses were hard or they did poorly or whatever, but because they had the chance to explore some other stuff as a college student and it made them realize that something else out there got them really excited. Everyone seems to say they are sold, set, dedicated, passionate about, etc about vet med (because they've wanted to be a vet since the age of one month or whatever)...but these are people who oftentimes haven't thought outside of the box. I fully admit that if I had allowed myself to look away from the vet med hard track, I might easily be elsewhere. The idea of a wave of 19 or 20 year olds who just cranked through the pre-reqs and apply to school makes me think vet school will become even more like high school than it already is...I think people need the time to marinate in college a bit. Maybe two years-ish is enough, I don't know.

But you're right: there's a huge benefit to students time and money wise to just do pre-reqs. But you can bet your buttons that if I were on an admissions committee, I wouldn't be too keen on admitting those students.

ETA: I assume the OP is a traditional student; I can totally see going to school for just the pre-reqs as a non-trad or even as a traditional age student with other serious responsibilities. The point about being able to balance workload is an important one in my opinion.

Seriously that was my plan. And if it doesn't work out my back up plan is to go to school to become a CVT.

Somewhat unrelated, but do you know what each of these careers entails? I know many techs who would not be happy as a vet and vice versa. The day in and day out of each of these is quite different.

I can understand the workload is a lot in vet school and it's good to be a full time student to help prepare for the workload, but it's not like I'm taking just three classes and not doing anything else. I'm planning on taking three classes along with working 25 hours a week and having an internship. Yes it's a valid point that being part time will not help me prepare but I'm doing other things to help with my career. The time I spend with everything will equal to being a full time student. Considering the workload between school, work, and my internship, I think I will be prepared for the vet school workload.

I can understand the workload is a lot in vet school and it's good to be a full time student to help prepare for the workload, but it's not like I'm taking just three classes and not doing anything else. I'm planning on taking three classes along with working 25 hours a week and having an internship. Yes it's a valid point that being part time will not help me prepare but I'm doing other things to help with my career. The time I spend with everything will equal to being a full time student. Considering the workload between school, work, and my internship, I think I will be prepared for the vet school workload.

I think the point people are also trying to make is that a lot of people who apply do all those things in addition to a full course load and might even have other extracurriculars that are demanding. No one is really saying you can't do it this way, we're just trying to let you know the type of applications/applicants you're up against. Some of the things I've seen on the Successful Applicants threads are ridiculously impressive and put mine to shame. The whole process is long and expensive and you want to submit the best application you can put together.

Somewhat unrelated, but do you know what each of these careers entails? I know many techs who would not be happy as a vet and vice versa. The day in and day out of each of these is quite different.
I understand and I would much rather be a doctor but I do have an interest in helping with surgery and other medical procedures. Trust me, I have researched and even shadowed for both of these professions. Being a vet would be my first choice but I would be satisfied as a CVT if things do not work out.

See my post above.
You are wrong.

See my post above.
You are wrong.
I understand your point but the point I'm trying to make is different than what you think. Yes the work is obviously going to be harder in vet school than it is now but what I'm trying to say is the time I spend on everything if going to equal the amount of time I would spend being a full time student. I'm sorry but you think taking chemistry, physics, and calculus along with working 25-30 hours a week and having an internship is not going to be time consuming then you're wrong. Yes I get it might a struggle adjusting but I'm more than confident I will be able to handle it considering the amount of work I am able to take on. Last semester I worked the same amount of time along with being a full time student and interning somewhere else and I managed to have a GPA of 3.9.

I understand your point but the point I'm trying to make is different than what you think. Yes the work is obviously going to be harder in vet school than it is now but what I'm trying to say is the time I spend on everything if going to equal the amount of time I would spend being a full time student. I'm sorry but you think taking chemistry, physics, and calculus along with working 25-30 hours a week and having an internship is not going to be time consuming then you're wrong. Yes I get it might a struggle adjusting but I'm more than confident I will be able to handle it considering the amount of work I am able to take on. Last semester I worked the same amount of time along with being a full time student and interning somewhere else and I managed to have a GPA of 3.9.

I don't think SOV is disagreeing and saying what you are doing isn't time consuming- It sounds like it definitely is. I think what he is getting at (please correct me if I'm wrong SOV) is that while what you are doing now would take around the same time-frame in vet school, it's what you are doing with that time. Volunteering and working, while exhausting, is not the same thing as being in a lecture hall for that same amount of time having a million things being pushed and crammed into your brain. To my understanding it's a completely different type of workload, even if they are technically the same hour wise.

As Orca mentioned, there are soooo many successful applicants that go to school full time AND work AND get experience AND get extracurricular AND get research. I think full time status is continually being recommended not necessarily because you won't be able to handle vet school workload (heck, there might be people that take 2 classes a semester and be fine and people that take 5 classes and struggle, we won't really know until we get there), but because in the eyes of the ad com, you need all that you can to make yourself stand out, and make you look like you are prepared to handle vet school, especially if you are planning on applying early.

From Ohio State's website:
Are my chances of admission to the Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine better if I attend Ohio State as an undergraduate and/or take required science courses there?

No. You may attend any accredited college or university. We do not have preferred schools from which we select applicants. We do however, consider the overall educational quality of your college experience; your course load (full-time vs. part-time); continuity of program; challenge of the curriculum; employment during education, and so forth.

From Missouri:
An academic score will be assigned to each student
by using cumulative grade point average (20 percent),
the last three full-time undergraduate semesters while
working toward a bachelor’s degree (summer not
included) (10 percent), average undergraduate course
load (6 percent), and performance on the MCAT or GRE
general examination (4 percent). Cumulative GPA must
be at least 3.00/4.00. Grades for repeated courses are
averaged for calculation of GPA.

From Tufts:
Veterinary medical education requires strong abilities; 50 percent of the total admissions evaluation is given for academic achievement and aptitude. The following is the Admissions Formula:

25% College Grade Point Average
25% Graduate Record Exam (Verbal & Quantitative)
5% Quality of the Academic Program
(a challenging curriculum, full course load)
5% Personal Essay
20% Experience working with animals and with the veterinary profession
10% Non-Cognitive Skills
10% All other achievements (community involvement; non-academic interests, abilities; personal characteristics such as reliability, honesty, and dedication to service)

From Washington:
When evaluating an applicant, the CVM Admissions Committee considers both academic and non-academic qualities. Committee members ask themselves: How likely is it that this applicant will be able to successfully complete our rigorous, science based veterinary curriculum? To answer this question the applicant's academic indices (i.e., cumulative GPA, science GPA, last 45-semester hour GPA, prerequisite GPA, grades in upper division science courses, course load per semester, and Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores) and record of academic honors, scholarships, etc.

From NCSU:
Educational Experience Consideration will be given to academic excellence, the course load per term, employment concurrent with school attendance, and participation in intercollegiate athletics.

From Cornell:
A bonus of up to 5 percent may be awarded by the Admissions Committee for quality of academic program. Factors considered in giving this bonus are: enrolling in a challenging curriculum, carrying a full course load to completion, and exceeding minimum pre-veterinary course requirements.

For UTK:
Average course load per full term (at least 12 credit hours) successfully completed will be assigned points as follows:
15 hours = 1 18 hours = 4
16 hours = 2 19 hours = 5
17 hours = 3 20 hours = 6

From Oregon:
Students who have taken heavy course loads (i.e. 15 or more credits per term) and performed well are likely to be better prepared for the veterinary curriculum which averages 17-21 credits per term

From Iowa:
Courseload (5%)
This looks at the credits/term that are taken during the Fall, Winter, and Spring terms

So it matters different amounts to different schools, but it DOES matter. This is the point we are all trying to make. It's not like you are automatically shunned because you are not full-time, but it *is* something that is considered in the application, so just keep that in mind.

One semester for me included taking biochem, ochem 2, ochem lab, physics 2, physics 2 lab and 2 history courses. Along with that, I also worked 20-30 hours/week and volunteered. Some times I was travelling 2 hours back to Phoenix to work on a Saturday, most of the time was just working at the vet clinic in town.

So yeah, taking 3 courses, working part time and doing an internship will and does pale in comparison to many of the people you will be applying with/against when it comes time to submit your application.

I don't think SOV is disagreeing and saying what you are doing isn't time consuming- It sounds like it definitely is. I think what he is getting at (please correct me if I'm wrong SOV) is that while what you are doing now would take around the same time-frame in vet school, it's what you are doing with that time. Volunteering and working, while exhausting, is not the same thing as being in a lecture hall for that same amount of time having a million things being pushed and crammed into your brain. To my understanding it's a completely different type of workload, even if they are technically the same hour wise.

This is another big thing. Sure, working, volunteering and school all at once is time consuming, but the amount of info you get in vet school is even more time consuming. I don't think there has been a single exam since vet school started where I can say that I reviewed all of the notes. There are definitely many missed lectures. It is a completely different ball game. Vet school and keeping up is mountains more demanding than undergrad with work and volunteering.

Just some anecdotal evidence that points to the benefits of being a full-time student, regardless of work or extracurriculars. Texas A&M is another school that looks more favorably and gives more weight to students that took more than 15 credits a semester for multiple semesters. In the last year of my graduate program, I was taking 15 and 19 credit hours, working 35-40 hours a week, participating in a 12-hour/week internship, and volunteering during the weekdays and weekends. When I was speaking with an Ad Com member after receiving my acceptance, I was told that the heavy course load was a contributing factor to my being accepted--academics are very important. You will be going up against some of the most brilliant and amazing people, so you want to give yourself every advantage possible. That is all we're trying to say.

In the end, it's your decision and your life...but we really are trying to help you out. That's the most wonderful thing about this forum. Imagine if we can save you from regret now...but hindsight is 50/50.

The idea of a wave of 19 or 20 year olds who just cranked through the pre-reqs and apply to school makes me think vet school will become even more like high school than it already is...I think people need the time to marinate in college a bit. .

Ha. That's totally fair. At least, in my experience in vet school. It does feel some days like there should be a minimum age requirement.

Ha. That's totally fair. At least, in my experience in vet school. It does feel some days like there should be a minimum age requirement.

Having been around a bunch of 18/19/20 year olds in vet school. I am a firm believer in that there should be a minimum age requirement.

Based on your reading comprehension, I don't think you are ready for vet school.
READ my post AGAIN. (to recap: I worked FULL TIME, and took all those pre-reqs, and did the volunteering (and was married with fur babies though that is less relevant) and I STILL thought it was a very hard transition. )

It is not the amount of time you spend doing "things", it is the amount of time you have to be doing one and only thing, day in, and day out ad nauseum to a degree you cannot imagine. If you haven't at least had a taste of an undergrad full time load EVER in your life, you will likely be overwhelmed unless you are an exceptional learner (like photographic memory or something). I did have that experience (in the distant past), and even though it was no comparison, it is a lot different than being a part time student and doing other things. In fact, being busy makes your life very easy IMO. Everything has a time, and your days have interesting variety.

Having been around a bunch of 18/19/20 year olds in vet school. I am a firm believer in that there should be a minimum age requirement.
Yeah, this is the reason why I didn't apply this year. My sister, who has already gone through the process, said that it was very clear which people got in earlier than 4 years, and which ones got in after 4 years of undergrad. She said that the ones who didn't just weren't mature enough. After this semester, i will have around 130 credits thanks to a crazy amount of AP classes in high school. But I'd much rather spend the last year doing stuff that I want to do and will not get a chance to do afterwards (teaching a clinical immunology class, writing a DMP thesis on a jazz topic that has been my focus throughout my undergraduate career, etc.) then rushing into vet school at a point that is earlier than most people are ready to do so.

I know several people here (as in my school) who decided to not have the initial college experience and just be a part time student and then transfer into my undergraduate university. The maturity level is honestly worlds apart. Undergraduate school is not just about the classes you take, it's about the things you do, all of which contribute to making you a more mature, functional, and overall better human being.

So if you (the person who started this thread) are going to debate it from an academic side (and trust me, there are huuuugeeee benefits to both your application and to your abilities to do well academically), then think of it from a life perspective and making yourself an overall more mature and better person.

Based on your reading comprehension, I don't think you are ready for vet school.
READ my post AGAIN. (to recap: I worked FULL TIME, and took all those pre-reqs, and did the volunteering (and was married with fur babies though that is less relevant) and I STILL thought it was a very hard transition. )

It is not the amount of time you spend doing "things", it is the amount of time you have to be doing one and only thing, day in, and day out ad nauseum to a degree you cannot imagine. If you haven't at least had a taste of an undergrad full time load EVER in your life, you will likely be overwhelmed unless you are an exceptional learner (like photographic memory or something). I did have that experience (in the distant past), and even though it was no comparison, it is a lot different than being a part time student and doing other things. In fact, being busy makes your life very easy IMO. Everything has a time, and your days
have interesting variety.

Your rude comments are not appreciated. I must have read one of your posts wrong. That does not mean I have poor reading comprehension. I appreciate your advice but I'm not interested in what you have to say when you're so rude.

I didn't find the post rude at all other than the very mild jab in the first sentence. I think you're being a little overly sensitive.

It is not the amount of time you spend doing "things", it is the amount of time you have to be doing one and only thing, day in, and day out ad nauseum to a degree you cannot imagine. If you haven't at least had a taste of an undergrad full time load EVER in your life, you will likely be overwhelmed unless you are an exceptional learner (like photographic memory or something). I did have that experience (in the distant past), and even though it was no comparison, it is a lot different than being a part time student and doing other things. In fact, being busy makes your life very easy IMO. Everything has a time, and your days have interesting variety.

Absolutely.

Vet school is academics on steroids for the first three years.

In no way is taking 3 classes, even hard ones, and having jobs/volunteering 20-30 or so hours a week equivalent and it will not prepare you for the workload.

Reactions: 3 users