Do you need basical AND clinical research as an undergraduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in pursuing an MSTP, but do not know where to start. I'm a chemical engineering major at a large research university, where opportunities for research are available everywhere. Does any sort of research count? Is it okay to work in more than one laboratory? Do MSTPs expect you to have published, by the time that you apply? I have interests in organic chemistry and microbiology and know of professors who are doing research in those areas. Would it be wise to touch base with them and see if I could work in their laboratory and conduct research? What about clinical research? How would I go about doing that and is it necessary?

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm very new to this. I'm very eager to do this, though.

Members don't see this ad.

I apologize. I meant to write "basic;" not "basical."

MD/PhD training is more focused on basic science research than clinical research. Moreover, MD/PhD programs look for independent research experience which is likely very difficult to attain in clinical research as an undergraduate. For basic science research, just contact professors whose research interests you and ask if they have space. No trick there. Many probably won't though and you may end up in a lab that isn't exactly in tune with your interests.

You can work in multiple labs, I worked in three different labs. Lots of people have research jobs during the school year and then go other places during summers. Pretty standard.

You don't need publications by application time, though it certainly helps. I met lots of people on the interview trail that had no publications and still got into top programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD/PhD training is more focused on basic science research than clinical research. Moreover, MD/PhD programs look for independent research experience which is likely very difficult to attain in clinical research as an undergraduate. For basic science research, just contact professors whose research interests you and ask if they have space. No trick there. Many probably won't though and you may end up in a lab that isn't exactly in tune with your interests.

You can work in multiple labs, I worked in three different labs. Lots of people have research jobs during the school year and then go other places during summers. Pretty standard.

You don't need publications by application time, though it certainly helps. I met lots of people on the interview trail that had no publications and still got into top programs.

Did you work in three different labs simultaneously, or were they independent of each other? Is it typical to stay with the same laboratory for 1-3 years?

I only ever worked in one lab at any given time. I worked in one lab for a year, another lab for three years and a third lab (after college) for two years. Yes it's typical to stay for 1-3 (or more) years and an extended length of stay is likely required to get to the level of independence and involvement expected by admission committees.

Does any sort of research count?

Yes, but basic (bench) is most typical and most expected.

Is it okay to work in more than one laboratory?

Yes. But you should have depth of experience as well.

Do MSTPs expect you to have published, by the time that you apply?

No.

I have interests in organic chemistry and microbiology and know of professors who are doing research in those areas. Would it be wise to touch base with them and see if I could work in their laboratory and conduct research?

Yes.

What about clinical research? How would I go about doing that and is it necessary?

Clinical faculty members do clinical research. You would contact them about it. It is not necessary to do so for MSTP.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm very new to this. I'm very eager to do this, though.

You should be reading the resources I have in the stickies.

What if you do research for a couple of years in a couple of laboratories, let's say. Then graduation time comes round. Could I still stay with my laboratories on my former campus while working, if I wanted to?

Also, does doing research in organic chemistry and microbiology count as basic science (bench) research?

Also, does doing research in organic chemistry and microbiology count as basic science (bench) research?

Yes.

What if you do research for a couple of years in a couple of laboratories, let's say. Then graduation time comes round. Could I still stay with my laboratories on my former campus while working, if I wanted to?

Yes.

Thank you for your invaluable input @Neuronix. The ultimate goal here, though, is to have your own project/be independent, correct? You want to start out as a volunteer in a lab (or labs) and work your way up, right? Therefore, the number of years that you spend in a lab is an arbitrary question, is it not? As it will take some people fewer, and others more, years to reach a level of independence in a respective laboratory. Please, feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong in saying that.

Thank you for your invaluable input @Neuronix. The ultimate goal here, though, is to have your own project/be independent, correct? You want to start out as a volunteer in a lab (or labs) and work your way up, right? Therefore, the number of years that you spend in a lab is an arbitrary question, is it not? As it will take some people fewer, and others more, years to reach a level of independence in a respective laboratory. Please, feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong in saying that.

Time and independence are both important and usually correlated. I.e. the more effort you put into labwork and the more skilled you get, the more independent you can be.

I see. If I get taken on as a volunteer in a laboratory, will there be any kind of interview process that I will have to undergo? If so, what is the appropriate attire? Suit and jacket, or just business casual (polo shirt, nice pants, etc.)?

I see. If I get taken on as a volunteer in a laboratory, will there be any kind of interview process that I will have to undergo? If so, what is the appropriate attire? Suit and jacket, or just business casual (polo shirt, nice pants, etc.)?

It depends on the lab. Business casual never hurts. Suit and jacket is overdoing it.

Also, are these prestigious undergraduate summer research programs necessary? Like Harvard SHURP, for example?

http://www.hms.harvard.edu/dms/diversity/shurp/

Not necessary. Not sure how "prestigious" they are. It's fine if you want to do them, but I don't have any experience with that.

Is it possible to get involved in clinical research, as well? If yes, how would I go about doing that?

Is it possible to get involved in clinical research, as well?
Yes
If yes, how would I go about doing that?
Ask a clinical researcher if you can help out?

But you'll get more mileage out of basic science research and you don't want to spread yourself too thin resulting in multiple weak research experiences.

@gutonc : Thanks for the input. I'll stick with basic science research.

Yes

Ask a clinical researcher if you can help out?

But you'll get more mileage out of basic science research and you don't want to spread yourself too thin resulting in multiple weak research experiences.

Where can you find clinical researchers? I've only been able to find them at hospitals and none of them have gotten back to me.

I've just received an email back from the head of clinical research at my university and he's helping me to find any units that they may have openings for the summer of this year. Scratch that last post.