Do you need retail experience or any kind of experience to get Pharm Tech job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iZodliquify

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend told me its hard to get one without being certified.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My friend told me its hard to get one without being certified.

What do you mean by being certified? Grab a book and then pay $150 to take the PTCB. If you want to save money, I can send you a Mizner digital copy to study.

It's really easy, all you have to do is just do it :)
It's hard to get a job anywhere, so you just have to keep trying until you get one. Good luck!

It's hard to get a tech job with certification and license. Why? Because every swinging pipe has a C.PhT cert. Why? Because it's piss easy to pass. You need a pulse and about 3 hrs of studying to get those initials.

To even come close to a job, you'll really need experience. And to get experience, you'll need experience. Nice Catch-22 we've landed ourselves in, but there it is.

Sometimes folks luck out and get a job in a pharm as a tech with no experience, but I know for a fact that every day we got apps to the indy pharm I worked at and every day my manager shredded them b/c they had zero experience. Every. Single. Day.

And being a pre-pharmer is even more damning. Think of it from the employer's perspective: He's training you to leave. Yep, you're leaving. In a quantifiable time period no less... Why waste his time?

I've BTDT and it's tough... Your best bet for exp is a hospital pharmacy as a volunteer and even then it'll be a rough go, because there are thousands of unique snowflakes just like you that want to put Pharm.D behind their name and work at Rite-Aid to paint the Wal Green.

I got a pharm tech job at an inpatient pharmacy of a level I trauma center with no experience. They knew I wasn't an idiot based on my interview and saw me pursing pharmacy as a career. They made me get certified within 6 months. The test was cake.

^Did you use any books to study for the Exam?

I got a pharm tech job at an inpatient pharmacy of a level I trauma center with no experience. They knew I wasn't an idiot based on my interview and saw me pursing pharmacy as a career. They made me get certified within 6 months. The test was cake.

WHAT???? Tell me what you did to get that job, please!
I really need a job as a pharm tech. And I can't believe you got a job in a trauma center. You're so lucky.

JOBs are mostly related to networking in pharmacy. If you have the right contacts, then you have a good chance of an interview.

It's harder to get a pharm tech job without experience. The pharmacist manager that wrote my LOR said he prefers to higher applicants that went through the training programs because he knows they have experience, actually remember the material, and will stay longer because of loans.

The only person he has ever hired without going through a Pharm Tech program was a person who volunteered with him for 2 years during his undergrad. He ended up leaving after 6 months of being hired because he got into pharmacy school. LOL

If you're not getting far with applications at least try to volunteer.

If it's a big retail chain, chances are, someone's hiring.

Hint: Busy store with high turnover rate.

If you want a hospital job, try volunteering at a busy hospital pharmacy.

wow passion4sci is still around on the forums!? how's UOP??

I had no pharmacy experience or certification and got a tech job in a nuclear pharmacy actually drawing patient doses under a pharmacists supervision.. and i make more than i've ever made @ a job before :thumbup: Oh, and in nuclear pharmacy, by some oddity, you don't have to be certified to be a technician.

Bear in mind that this is the exception, not the rule. At the hospital where I work, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES would they hire anyone who was not certified and registered with the state board of pharmacy. And as for experience needed....I went in there with a year and a half of retail pharmacy experience, which was soooooo little compared to what the other technicians had (anywhere from 5-20 years in retail, multiple other hospitals before current one, etc.) So it really depends on where you are, but 99 times out of 100 you'll need to work your way up, cutting your teeth in retail first. I was just lucky in that I got out of it pretty quickly.