Do you need to do a residency for emergency medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Willotree

C/O 2021?
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in either becoming a GP or working in Emergency room.. but definitely don't want further schooling after vet school. Do you need a residency to work as an emergency vet? Would an internship suffice?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't need a residency. Though you could do one. I know vets that work in emergency clinics that never did a residency. An internship that has a lot of emergency medicine might make you feel more comfortable rather than just graduating and going straight into working in emergency med.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't need a residency. Though you could do one. I know vets that work in emergency clinics that never did a residency. An internship that has a lot of emergency medicine might make you feel more comfortable rather than just graduating and going straight into working in emergency med.

Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure it's somewhat regional, but I'm told by one of our board-certified ECC docs here that it isn't (at the moment) necessary. I've been considering it, and I don't want to do an internship/residency (nothing against them - if I were younger I'd be more interested). He told me it was absolutely no big deal and that if you don't want to go the internship/residency route (and ECC is one where you can do an ECC-specific internship rather than the typical rotating internship) you go out into GP, moonlight doing ECC work for a year or so, and then you'd have no trouble getting a job. He did say it would be difficult (at least in our area) to go <straight> from graduation into ECC work. But one year ... meh, big deal.

No idea how accurate he is, but a) he's an ECC doc who probably has his fingers on the pulse of that niche, and b) he worked in private practice ECC work prior to coming to our teaching hospital. All in all, I'd say he's likely to know more about it than most of us.

A lot of my shadowing has been at an emergency clininc. The newest doc graduated class of 2013 and did not do an internship.

Reactions: 1 user
I do emergency work, and I didn't do an internship/residency. A little stressful, but it's working out okay, and I love that I get to be the vet who gets to do just about everything (well at least working towards it). It was really hard finding this position as most ERs in my area wouldnt consider new grads or non-internship trained. You also have to really make sure that for places that hire new grads that they have good mentoring, AND good standard of care. there are a lot of sketchy places out there.

Like MB said as well, a residency definitely isn't necessary (ECC docs often end up in criticalist positions anyway), but an internship will open a lot more positions for you and help you get your feet wet.