Do you need to use the Pre-Health Committee?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flossiraptor863

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a larger school where a pre-health committee is utilized in order to help students in applying to dental school. The way that ours is set up, our GPA is included but our DAT scores are not. I have a year to pull my GPA up (oGPA=3.6 but sGPA=3.2), but I know coming into this year that my 22 on the DAT and my extra-curriculars are going to carry me further than my GPA probably will.

I was wondering: if your school offers a pre-health committee letter, are you required to utilize that, or can you apply separate from the committee?

Members don't see this ad.

You are not required to use it, but dental schools that have come to visit my school (which is large as well), said that they will really wonder why you didn't go through the committee, and it looks bad. So I would definitely go through . Plus, they said it is easier for them to read that way.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you can do it man. It'll be a lot easier since a committee letter fulfills most schools rec letter requirements that are otherwise a pain to get.

If you can do it man. It'll be a lot easier since a committee letter fulfills most schools rec letter requirements that are otherwise a pain to get.
Not for VCU. Committee letter was a pain to get, and VCU is the only one who has a problem with my letter, because it is not 2 science prof and a dentist. I've had a hell of a time trying to get those letter. And I'm in state for VCU.

I'd assume it's preferred to have a committee letter but I haven't had any problems with sending independent letters.....a bunch of my apps still call it a "committee letter" once theyre submitted anyway.

I actually refused to use my pre health advising/committtee because their secretary treated me like s**t and said I'd never get into dental school. She's been great motivation.