Do you need USMLE to get fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PIacebo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to know if the USMLE was necessary to take if you are thinking of getting a fellowship after residency (in a non competitive specialty). I understand you would need to take all 3 COMLEX levels as an osteopathic student. Would you be limited in getting fellowships if you did an AOA residency vs an ACGME residency too? With the merger going on by 2020, I would be towards the end of my residency so that is why I am not sure if it would make a difference if you take USMLE or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hijack but does anyone know if performance on USMLE step 3 (rather than simply passing) is required or can help in regards to obtaining fellowships. Or if COMLEX level 3 score (rather than simply passing) helps. Debating which one(s) to take and how rigorously to prepare.

In order to take USMLE Step 3, you would have had to take the USMLE Step 2 CS (the MD version of COMLEX PE).

The number of DO's who take USMLE Step 2 CS is practically zero.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wanted to know if the USMLE was necessary to take if you are thinking of getting a fellowship after residency (in a non competitive specialty). I understand you would need to take all 3 COMLEX levels as an osteopathic student. Would you be limited in getting fellowships if you did an AOA residency vs an ACGME residency too? With the merger going on by 2020, I would be towards the end of my residency so that is why I am not sure if it would make a difference if you take USMLE or not.

kind of, sorta, maybe- depends on your fellowship. Some fellowships are exclusively AOA (right now at least). Assuming all AOA fellowships transition to ACGME- you technically could apply AOA but any fellowship is super competitive since you don't have the match system. I'd think if you're wanting to do a fellowship, taking the USMLE would be a smart move. But it could be worthless since it's all up in the air right now. We have no idea what to expect as the time gets closer to 2020. Some ACGME's just don't accept AOA residencies (it's just the way it is). Some because of preference some because they can't. I believe that will all change by 2020 though. I also assume that your residency (whichever you choose) will be ACGME accredited by the end of it so you would go into the fellowship phase being able to apply to any ACGMEs (again assuming it does get accredited). It's also strange if you are caught starting at an AOA residency and it becomes ACGME before you graduate if the USMLE plays any role (I don't know if anyone knows that for now). Once again, a lot of unknowns until 2020.

As always, it depends. Im in an allopathic fellowship and only took USMLE Step 1 which was not reported to the SF Match for fellowship application purposes

Reactions: 1 user