Do you plan to work during dental school, how? Does your schedule allow it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

If you need hormone injections to produce viable sperm, they don't want your sperm.

why not? they are just less active during their trip and will not miss the egg => increase the rate of success

Members don't see this ad :)
Wut???? This is crap. My half of genetic material is only worth $60-70. I call shenanigans.
You can make as much as you want. Women do not have that luxury. With every donation, they are reducing their chances to have their own genetically healthy children. Quite the opportunity cost.

Cain't no one take a joke around here.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol how much would you get for it?

Not sure how much you will get paid for donating your eggs, but I did read this article that there was a 3rd year medical student that was selling her virginity. A guy won the with a bid of $750,000.

I see no reason why you couldn't work 5-10 hours a week if you really prioritize your schedule and don't procrastinate much. In the last 18 years, I have only gone without working for 1 year, and that was my first year of taking DS prereqs. Classes start Monday for me and I'm already itching to work, but I'm going to wait until after the first quarter is over so I can see how much time I will really have and whether or not it will be worth it. I have a few ideas to work for myself, so I can work as little or as much as I would like.

Nice thread going guys! Pretty entertaining :laugh:

I don't know why anyone would work during dental school. I don't have the slightest desire in doing so.

Not sure how much you will get paid for donating your eggs, but I did read this article that there was a 3rd year medical student that was selling her virginity. A guy won the with a bid of $750,000.

wtf really?

Do people take out loans for just about everything then, including personal expenses (food, going out, etc) and living costs?

Why not work before dental school? Working a $16/hr job even for 5 months before dental school will give you a solid amount of cash for personal expenses. I'm working now while taking classes and will be taking the DAT next Summer and I'll keep working through the gap year. Shouldn't be a problem to save up $30k+ for food/housing/etc during dental school. Taking loans out for all of your personal expenses sounds terrible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be far more profitable to either put in more time into studying and thus specialize later on or take your time to learn how to do procedures well.

Why not work before dental school? Working a $16/hr job even for 5 months before dental school will give you a solid amount of cash for personal expenses. I'm working now while taking classes and will be taking the DAT next Summer and I'll keep working through the gap year. Shouldn't be a problem to save up $30k+ for food/housing/etc during dental school. Taking loans out for all of your personal expenses sounds terrible.

It saves you some $ which is good. But then what 2yr? You will still have to take out loan for personal expense, just not as much.

It saves you some $ which is good. But then what 2yr? You will still have to take out loan for personal expense, just not as much.

True. I just meant that taking out loans for everything for all 4 years just seems like such a bad idea. But ultimately, loans are unavoidable. Saving beforehand will at least ease some of the damage and will allow you to have some real fun during your free time. I can't imagine having $0 in my bank account before going away lol

Working a $16/hr job even for 5 months before dental school will give you a solid amount of cash for personal expenses. Shouldn't be a problem to save up $30k+ for food/housing/etc during dental school. Taking loans out for all of your personal expenses sounds terrible.
$16/hr, paid for the DAT expenses, dental school application fee + secondary fees, interview expenses (hotels + flights + food...), car shipping (almost $1000), traveling in August before school starts, apartment rent, moving expenses, buying stuff that I can't move, and unforeseen expenses.
My bank is almost empty.
Saving up $30K is harder than you think unless you want your parents to pay for everything while you're racking up the money.

$16/hr, paid for the DAT expenses, dental school application fee + secondary fees, interview expenses (hotels + flights + food...), car shipping (almost $1000), traveling in August before school starts, apartment rent, moving expenses, buying stuff that I can't move, and unforeseen expenses.
My bank is almost empty.
Saving up $30K is harder than you think unless you want your parents to pay for everything while you're racking up the money.

True. I was looking at the situation from my shoes and was thinking that the average pre-dent would be able to live at home while working, which would save them from rent and big food costs, or at least they wouldn't be paying out of pocket for tuition/room&board/meal plan [deferring loans until after dental school]. Also assuming that you spent $10k on taking the DAT/traveling/applying, but you still have $5k left in the bank [you were working your $16/hr job before the DAT and had $15k saved]. If you keep making $16/hr and working full-time that's $30k+$5k = $35k. Of course you have to subtract gas, food, and other expenses during that time period. So even if you spent $15k on gas, flight to school, car shipping, apartment rent, furniture, tuition, and food, you still will have around $20k. Nothing huge but you should be able to pay for rent and food for at least a little while. Again this is just me assuming that you wanted to just focus on saving and earning money before dental school. If you're paying $30k/year for undergrad + rent out of pocket, after getting accepted into dental school, then of course loans will be the only option

Last edited:
True. I was looking at the situation from my shoes and was thinking that the average pre-dent would be able to live at home while working, which would save them from rent and big food costs, or at least they wouldn't be paying out of pocket for tuition/room&board/meal plan [deferring loans until after dental school]. Also assuming that you spent $10k on taking the DAT/traveling/applying, but you still have $5k left in the bank [you were working your $16/hr job before the DAT and had $15k saved]. If you keep making $16/hr and working full-time that's $30k+$5k = $35k. Of course you have to subtract gas, food, and other expenses during that time period. So even if you spent $15k on gas, flight to school, car shipping, apartment rent, furniture, tuition, and food, you still will have around $20k. Nothing huge but you should be able to pay for rent and food for at least a little while. Again this is just me assuming that you wanted to just focus on saving and earning money before dental school. If you're paying $30k/year for undergrad + rent out of pocket, after getting accepted into dental school, then of course loans will be the only option

Yeah, but then you have those pesky things like taxes, social security and such taken out of your paycheck so even if you didn't spend a dime you still wouldn't have $30,000. If you are putting away everything you have to pay for expenses in dental school, you would be MUCH farther ahead putting that money into retirement accounts and letting it grow and then taking out loans for all of your dental school costs, living expenses, etc. Growth on that 30K will far surpass whatever interest you would pay on those loans.

Just some quick calculations..if you put that 30K into an investment account, let it grow over the next 40 years without adding anything to the account, assuming a modest 6% return (historical average is 8%), that 30K would grow to $308,571. If you took out that 30K in student loans your first year of dental school, you will make $55,132 in total loan payments for that 30K at the current interest rate assuming you are on a 20 year payback schedule. So, by not taking out that loan, you will lose $253,439. And, just by waiting 5 more years to put that 30K away, the money will only grow to $230,582 so worst case spending that money vs investing and taking out a loan, you will lose $77,989.

You're not saving $30k at $16/hr anytime soon. $10K is seriously hard at that pay rate.

Just some quick calculations..if you put that 30K into an investment account, let it grow over the next 40 years without adding anything to the account, assuming a modest 6% return (historical average is 8%), that 30K would grow to $308,571. If you took out that 30K in student loans your first year of dental school, you will make $55,132 in total loan payments for that 30K at the current interest rate assuming you are on a 20 year payback schedule. So, by not taking out that loan, you will lose $253,439. And, just by waiting 5 more years to put that 30K away, the money will only grow to $230,582 so worst case spending that money vs investing and taking out a loan, you will lose $77,989.

lol. Where do you have an extra $30k laying around? Let's be realistic here.

lol. Where do you have an extra $30k laying around? Let's be realistic here.

I was being realistic....at least for the poster who thinks he can save 30K making $16/hour :lol:

Take loans and do your best in the school, this way you will be able to pay off your loans in 5 years and not 20-30 years and invest a lot more with much better return later.
Saving before school is very wise, as well as paying the loan interest to avoid paying interest on interest. In regards to investing no one mentioned inflation, which will eat into your profit. In my opinion it is very important to enjoy life while you want more then just soft slippers

Doubt anyone plays online poker here but I'm just gonna keep grinding those microstakes on the weekends.