Do you think I'll be able to match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mehshuggah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS3

Pre-clinical years: All honors, I think 2 or 3 HP's

Step I: 254

Peds: HP
FM: P
OB/GYN, Surgery, Anesthesia: P
Psychiatry, Neurology: HP
Medicine: I think I am going to HP

I'm doing research. I think I should have two papers published by the time interview season comes around next year - first author on both.
I've also made a video of a renal reconstruction and narrated it. It's going to be submitted at a midwestern urology conference, I think.

Lay it on me!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an MS3

Pre-clinical years: All honors, I think 2 or 3 HP's

Step I: 254

Peds: HP
FM: P
OB/GYN, Surgery, Anesthesia: P
Psychiatry, Neurology: HP
Medicine: I think I am going to HP

I'm doing research. I think I should have two papers published by the time interview season comes around next year - first author on both.
I've also made a video of a renal reconstruction and narrated it. It's going to be submitted at a midwestern urology conference, I think.

Lay it on me!
I can guess what other people will say. Urology has had a match rate in the high 60s percentile lately. With an above avg step score, avg to below avg 3rd yr grades, and avg research, it will come down to your LORs. If you get decent ones and apply very broadly and have a good personality, you'll probably have an 80-90 percent chance of matching. It's up to you to decide if you want to add a backup specialty to that.

Your stats are pretty good except for your clinical grades. Why only P in surgery, ob/gyn? Any red flags on your rotation evaluations? Your numbers should be good enough to get you in the door to a lot of places. They key is going to be choosing realistic away rotations and doing an awesome job there. That way you can lock down good letters and maximize your chances at those places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are pretty good except for your clinical grades. Why only P in surgery, ob/gyn? Any red flags on your rotation evaluations? Your numbers should be good enough to get you in the door to a lot of places. They key is going to be choosing realistic away rotations and doing an awesome job there. That way you can lock down good letters and maximize your chances at those places.

I don't think there are any red flags from my evaluations, as far as I know at least. All the comments have been great as well. Hard worker, knowledge base excellent, pleasure to be around, etc etc. The surgery fellowship I was working with sat me down at the end of surgery rotation and he told me I was a very good student, at the top end of the bell curve, clinically wise. I even got ~1SD above average on the surgery shelf and got a pass. Not sure why, I would've thought I earned a HP there, but I guess not.

Do you think I work hard on aways and get some letters I'll have a good chance? I also forgot to mention I go to a top-tier urology university with a lot of big name people. I'm going to do aways at University of Minnesota and Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee FYI.

I don't think there are any red flags from my evaluations, as far as I know at least. All the comments have been great as well. Hard worker, knowledge base excellent, pleasure to be around, etc etc. The surgery fellowship I was working with sat me down at the end of surgery rotation and he told me I was a very good student, at the top end of the bell curve, clinically wise. I even got ~1SD above average on the surgery shelf and got a pass. Not sure why, I would've thought I earned a HP there, but I guess not.

Do you think I work hard on aways and get some letters I'll have a good chance? I also forgot to mention I go to a top-tier urology university with a lot of big name people. I'm going to do aways at University of Minnesota and Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee FYI.

That doesn't make sense. If you were one of the best clinical students and nailed the shelf, how could you get a pass?

Good luck.

That doesn't make sense. If you were one of the best clinical students and nailed the shelf, how could you get a pass?

Good luck.

I don't know, but that is what happened. We get comments on our report card thing, but we don't actually see our numerical ratings. My surgery block was 8wks and I only worked with the surgical fellow that gave me the verbal feedback I mentioned for 2 of those 8 wks, but it's not like I changed my work ethic and attitude week by week (at least I hope not), so I figured I did pretty well clinically.

Oh yeah, and I only got 1pt above average on my psychiatry shelf but ended up getting HP lol.

This is why third year is frustrating for me...I don't know what's going on! WOE IS ME :(

The bigger question is: are you sure you want to stick your finger up men's behinds for the rest of your life?

Reactions: 1 user