do you think med schools have any favoritism for people who went to their undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardsurgguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has heard rumor or anything about schools favoring people who went to their corresponding undergrad school

I guess it would be like a grow your own type of thing
after all, it looks really good on the school if you went to them for undergrad, then medical school and then were really successful

I'm not necessarily talking about favoring when it comes to acceptance, but maybe a favoring when it comes to granting interviews

anybody ever wondered this?

I hope they do this, since my undergrad is somewhere I'd love to go :D
but I haven't gotten an interview from them yet and was complete last few days of july/first few days of august... :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

It is easier to get an interview at if you go to their undergrad (atleast my counser said this for Columbia). Something along the lines at that most people barring something really negative will get an interview here. Getting the interview is so hard that it does help almost knowing you will get one and giving you a shot.

the above is not true everywhere, unfortunately. my undergrad gave me the thin letter despite my decent stats... I think there is a preference almost everywhere, its just more at some places than others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Goose-d said:
the above is not true everywhere, unfortunately. my undergrad gave me the thin letter despite my decent stats... I think there is a preference almost everywhere, its just more at some places than others.

I've heard numerous cases of this. Some were more egregious than this.

I'm not 100% sure it's true, but I was told Cornell gave all applicants an interview. (I didn't apply though - I didn't want to live in NYC).

I would think almost all schools give at least a little priority - if they didn't, it would suggest that the school did not believe in its own products.

Goose, what undergrad. school were you at?

Does anyone know anything about the UW? UWSOM is my #1 choice, so hopefully they give at least a little preference to us huskies! :cool:

lizanne11 said:
Goose, what undergrad. school were you at?

Does anyone know anything about the UW? UWSOM is my #1 choice, so hopefully they give at least a little preference to us huskies! :cool:
Afraid not. Entering UWSOM from UW is statistically more difficult than average (which is already low).

wash u also does not care

i don't think so. there is an epithet for this practice: "intellectual inbreeding"

The more selective the school, the less of a factor being alumni has.

I know for sure that Einstein does, but since the undergrad is <1000 women and around 1200 men total, that's not saying much. :p If you are currently enrolled in the undergrad you're guaranteed an interview, which doesn't help those of us who've already graduated. But I think it does offer a slight preference. OTOH, only 2 women from my undergrad are 1st year at Einstein, and 2 in the second year, so it can't be a huge preference.

TheMightyAngus said:
The more selective the school, the less of a factor being alumni has.

Damn, that is what i was going to say.

I know Case used to reserve a significant number of spots for its own students. I have heard (rumors) that this year they are doing away with holding seats for Case grads and everyone will be evaluated the same regardless of undergrad institution.

Goose-d said:
Yeah, that's what it looks like.