Do your LOR writers have to be MDs or PhDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junkct

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can they be MPHs? One of my professors is an MPH and I wanted to get a LOR from him.

Also, if they are "Lecturers" rather than "Professors" (they still are in complete charge of the class, do the grades, make the tests, etc.... just don't do research, which is why they aren't "Professors", even though they have PhD), is it OK to get a LOR from them?

This is all assuming that these LOR would be included in the obligatory 2 science & 1 non-science LORs

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say unless a school you are applying to has a specific rule otherwise your LOR from faculty just need to be from someone who taught a class that you were in. (be they a "Lecturer" or "Professor")

At least that's the intel I've been working off of.

Mine for UNC were a history professor, a linguistics professor, and a genetics PhD.

It depends on the school, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools request full time professors (rather than those who only teach part time). This is the only stipulation I am aware of.

Some schools request full time professors (rather than those who only teach part time). This is the only stipulation I am aware of.

yeah I've heard that too, and I think it's kinda funny because the part-time profs are usually the most reputed (which is why they only have to teach a couple classes and can do research or whatever for the rest of the time)

yeah I've heard that too, and I think it's kinda funny because the part-time profs are usually the most reputed (which is why they only have to teach a couple classes and can do research or whatever for the rest of the time)

"Part time" doesn't refer to course vs. research load. Part time instructors are adjunct instructors - individuals who are only hired to teach specific courses, and do not necessarily maintain other relationships with the university. Some universities only hire part-time instructors on a semester-by-semester basis, rather than guaranteeing a particular course load throughout the year.

Does anyone know if it is alright to use a LOR from a DO to apply to Allopathic schools?

Does anyone know if it is alright to use a LOR from a DO to apply to Allopathic schools?

I've been told that this is relatively common, so shouldn't be a problem. Lots of people apply to med school without any form of clinical LOR in any case.