Doctivism---Is it the new normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeesh...the worst pre-PT gets is "I know this has been answered in detail in 1500 other threads, but how do I go about setting up observation hours with a PT?". Pre-allo puts us to shame...is there such a thing as greater weakness in numbers? lol
I wish Pre-Allo had more of those type of threads. We do have "Would you eat a poop hot dog to get into your #1 school?" thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
O EM GEE. BLACKS GET A BENEFIT! RACISM IS OVERRRR!!!

AFFIRMATIVE ACTION MAKES EVERYTHING OKAY!

And for the 10th time plus 1...O EM GEE I DIDN'T EVEN SAY THAT!!!

Claiming that you were neutral in suggesting affirmative action as a benefit of being black is actually more of an insult than anything else. It's like saying that a family getting money for their kid getting shot by mistake by the cops is benefiting from the system.

:eyebrow: yikes...

So you're saying that many american's have racist perceptions? Okay then.

Yeah. America is seriously on their side with effective policy change, which is why there's no structural racism at all. Of course! We're post racial. We have a black president!

Lets talk about what happens to brutal cops: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...nions-keep-abusive-cops-on-the-street/383258/

According to what I've read and been told by people at the protests, the majority of people getting physical with police were white and were escalating violence with police even though the black protesters were peaceful: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runni...arner_protests_some_whites_behaving_badly.php

Regarding the rest of your post, it doesn't really have much to do with the protests, but I think you should spread the message that black people should speak more eloquently if they want people to listen. That seems to work so well for Obama given all the racial stuff directed at him and he has that entire speaking properly thing down pretty well.

I'm also not sure what black on black violence has to do with police brutality. I'm not in the same rabbit hole you fell into apparently.

O EM GEE. BLACKS GET A BENEFIT! RACISM IS OVERRRR!!!

AFFIRMATIVE ACTION MAKES EVERYTHING OKAY!

Affirmative action is a lousy band-aid to fit a catastrophic problem. While I support it, I think it does little to help in the greater landscape. But a little is still better than nothing I suppose.

Claiming that you were neutral in suggesting affirmative action as a benefit of being black is actually more of an insult than anything else. It's like saying that a family getting money for their kid getting shot by mistake by the cops is benefiting from the system.

First bolded I can't tell whether or not is sarcasm.

Second bolded demonstrates your bias and that you CLEARLY haven't thought this through. Or more understandably, that you have absolutely 0 idea what it means to be a law enforcement officer.

Finally, what the hell do you propose be done??? Complain, Protest, Complain, Protest, but nothing offered as an actual solution. I at least proposed something. To you it's someone else's responsibility to ACTUALLY clean up the problem you "advocate" for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish Pre-Allo had more of those type of threads. We do have "Would you eat a poop hot dog to get into your #1 school?" thread.

:laugh:

I think I actually might have seen that one... :smack:

Yup, 4th congressional district of Illinois was exactly what I was referring to. But that's perfectly ok for some who complain about gerrymandering.

That's not really an intellectually honest argument/comparison. Generally, those who are against Gerrymandering are against using it for competitive advantage by one party. Pretty much every district within a reasonable distance to Cook County is going Dem no matter how they're drawn... Prior to Gutierrez getting elected in IL-4, there wasn't a single hispanic rep in the entire Midwest... not exactly fair representation. What would be your alternative? Having Humboldt Park represented by Rahm Emanuel in IL-5? ha!

If the med students go to the black community to fix the problem, that would probably help. Obviously you can't depend on the community to fix itself, change will NEVER happen in 1000 years.

That's not really an intellectually honest argument/comparison. Generally, those who are against Gerrymandering are against using it for competitive advantage by one party. Pretty much every district within a reasonable distance to Cook County is going Dem no matter how they're drawn... Prior to Garcia getting elected in IL-4, there wasn't a single hispanic rep in the entire Midwest... not exactly fair representation. What would be your alternative? Having Humboldt Park represented by Rahm Emanuel in IL-5? ha!
It's Gutierrez, not Garcia. And the skin color of the representative is not a reflection of a constituency and is not "fair" or "unfair" based on that.

If the med students go to the black community to fix the problem, that would probably help. Obviously you can't depend on the community to fix itself, change will NEVER happen in 1000 years.

Oh you're probably right, so why would a flock of med students go to help a community that doesn't want them there? They've already made it clear that my white a** isn't welcome!

Good luck with that. They're only used as notches in their gun belt when it comes to their CV.

Oh you're probably right, so why would a flock of med students go to help a community that doesn't want them there? They've already made it clear that my white a** isn't welcome!
There's your white privilege showing again, tsk, tsk...

First bolded I can't tell whether or not is sarcasm.

Second bolded demonstrates your bias and that you CLEARLY haven't thought this through. Or more understandably, that you have absolutely 0 idea what it means to be a law enforcement officer.

Finally, what the hell do you propose be done??? Complain, Protest, Complain, Protest, but nothing offered as an actual solution. I at least proposed something. To you it's someone else's responsibility to ACTUALLY clean up the problem you "advocate" for.

What did black on black violence have to do with brown and garner exactly? Or with crawford for that matter.

Ahh hell.

foldem.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, a black police officer is enforcing racism. :smack: Laws are racist constructs of the white man.
So drug laws and three strike laws that incarcerate blacks at alarmingly high rates are not "structural racism?" They surely do an excellent job perpetuating the prison-industrial complex.

Reactions: 1 users
What did black on black violence have to do with brown and garner exactly? Or with crawford for that matter.

Did you watch the video I posted? It has everything to do with cops getting fed up/ pissed off and taking some extreme/stupid actions every so often. They're only human after all.

So drug laws and three strike laws that incarcerate blacks at alarmingly high rates are not "structural racism?" They surely do an excellent job perpetuating the prison-industrial complex.

So do for profit prisons, which some judges actually benefit from.

Did you watch the video I posted? It has everything to do with cops getting fed up/ pissed off and taking some extreme/stupid actions every so often. They're only human after all.

Sorry, missed the video.

I think it's a natural response to expect the worst when you walk into certain areas, however that doesn't make the response right. I'll look at it later.

For the record, I don't hate cops. I just think they should be held to a higher standard because I think they can do better. I'm also worried that these issues might get worse due to the militarization of the police and training to handle threats that are terrorist in nature which are the 'scripts' triggered when handling citizenry. Not okay.

No they aren't - it's called punishing criminals. If a black person chooses to do illicit drugs and is jailed for doing drugs that are against the law, that is not racism. If a black person who is previously convicted of two prior serious criminal offenses and then commits a third and receives a harsher sentence bc of a three strikes law, no, that is not racism.

Of course he didn't! It would have destroyed his entire narrative.

IDK, perhaps blend in? Make peace, bring cookies or some ****. Then, you can go ahead and fix the problems to help them out.

No they aren't - it's called punishing criminals. If a black person chooses to do illicit drugs and is jailed for doing drugs that are against the law, that is not racism. If a black person who is previously convicted of two prior serious criminal offenses and then commits a third and receives a harsher sentence bc of a three strikes law, no, that is not racism.

Is it if say crack cocaine has higher punishments than say heroin and if whites are convicted less and given less jail time for the same offenses.

Also, just fyi:

I grew up in India.
My parents live in the philly area.
I went to college in CT.
And now I live and work in Beantown.

I'm not from boston. Not sure what that had to do with anything.

Side note, how do you define white privilege? You seem to be against the concept and its existence. I'm genuinely curious to understand what you think it is.

So do for profit prisons, which some judges actually benefit from.

Sorry, missed the video.

I think it's a natural response to expect the worst when you walk into certain areas, however that doesn't make the response right. I'll look at it later.

For the record, I don't hate cops. I just think they should be held to a higher standard because I think they can do better. I'm also worried that these issues might get worse due to the militarization of the police and training to handle threats that are terrorist in nature which are the 'scripts' triggered when handling citizenry. Not okay.

I will agree with you that cops can be a**holes, and it tends to attract individuals with a god complex (so does medicine :laugh:) , but I don't think these incidents take place because of sheer racism, but rather because they deal with the same crap over and over and over every day, and lose it every so often. Also using examples like incarceration rates and drug laws will NEVER gather support from majority America because they only become problems AFTER a crime is committed. I also don't buy the poverty/oppression automatically=crime argument. It's just a convenient excuse. I agree that there is correlation, but there are WAAAAY more oppressed/impoverished nations/communities spread all over the globe that don't have these issues on nearly this massive of scale. Start with Mexico where pre-meds all go on their mission trips. :thinking:

Is it if say crack cocaine has higher punishments than say heroin and if whites are convicted less and given less jail time for the same offenses.

Also, just fyi:

I grew up in India.
My parents live in the philly area.
I went to college in CT.
And now I live and work in Beantown.

I'm not from boston. Not sure what that had to do with anything.

Side note, how do you define white privilege? You seem to be against the concept and its existence. I'm genuinely curious to understand what you think it is.

Again crack cocaine has higher punishments because it is associated with so many black on black killings in these communities. Are you saying that trying to deter this behavior is racist? Think through the WHOLE process that led up to these laws. Also, please watch "The Wire" if you ever get a chance. There is no better portrayal of this issue in existence right not. There are even classes taught in universities on this show.

I will agree with you that cops can be a**holes, and it tends to attract individuals with a god complex (so does medicine :laugh:) , but I don't think these incidents take place because of sheer racism, but rather because they deal with the same crap over and over and over every day, and lose it every so often. Also using examples like incarceration rates and drug laws will NEVER gather support from majority America because they only become problems AFTER a crime is committed. I also don't buy the poverty/oppression automatically=crime argument. It's just a convenient excuse. I agree that there is correlation, but there are WAAAAY more oppressed/impoverished nations/communities spread all over the globe that don't have these issues on nearly this massive of scale. Start with Mexico where pre-meds all go on their mission trips. :thinking:

Mission trips won't teach anything, people are too drunk and naked to pay attention :O

Could care less what your race is. You obviously have no idea why crack is given higher jail sentences than the other form.

Mission trips won't teach anything, people are too drunk and naked to pay attention :O

Ugh... mission trips. Too many privileged kids from Penn and Princeton who want to "help the underserved" and seek out the most extreme forms of poverty in exotic locales, yet can't grasp the issues involved in providing care to a lower/lower middle class family from Delaware County.

Listened to the video and I still how that relates to cops and the recent things. No one was arguing that the job of the police doesn't often put them in harms way. No one is saying that those communities are model communities.

People are saying that cops often react with disproportional force when dealing with people of color and people in general and that they should be held accountable when something happens. Where that happens is in a trial because the grand jury is a place to show that 'something happened' not to present all the evidence in a one sided trial.

There are inherent COI's when you think of prosecutors that work with cops being responsible for their trial.

You mean Mexico where a bunch of students disappeared without a trace: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/14/mexican-mayor-jose-luis-abarca-charged-murder-students

Listened to the video and I still how that relates to cops and the recent things. No one was arguing that the job of the police doesn't often put them in harms way. No one is saying that those communities are model communities.

People are saying that cops often react with disproportional force when dealing with people of color and people in general and that they should be held accountable when something happens. Where that happens is in a trial because the grand jury is a place to show that 'something happened' not to present all the evidence in a one sided trial.

There are inherent COI's when you think of prosecutors that work with cops being responsible for their trial.

You mean Mexico where a bunch of students disappeared without a trace: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/14/mexican-mayor-jose-luis-abarca-charged-murder-students

Those were privileged college students abducted by a drug cartel payed off by a local mayor. Absolutely no relevance to this discussion.

Those were privileged college students and protestors abducted and killed by the police and a drug cartel payed off by a local mayor. Absolutely no relevance to this discussion.
ftfy. Is it relevant to the abuse of police powers (and how it's not limited to blacks in the US) now?

Those were privileged college students abducted by a drug cartel payed off by a local mayor. Absolutely no relevance to this discussion.

College is WAY more affordable there, even for the average person. Yes, not to everyone, but not the same rate of cost as in the US.

Mexico has tons of oppression and drug related and crime problems. Are you kidding?

Could care less what your race is. You obviously have no idea why crack is given higher jail sentences than the other form.

I mean, you seemed to care a lot about where I lived so I figured I'd fill in the blanks and make your life easier.

Still waiting on your answer re:white privilege. For realsies.

Again crack cocaine has higher punishments because it is associated with so many black on black killings in these communities. Are you saying that trying to deter this behavior is racist? Think through the WHOLE process that led up to these laws. Also, please watch "The Wire" if you ever get a chance. There is no better portrayal of this issue in existence right not. There are even classes taught in universities on this show.

Ah yes... white people talking about The Wire... A sure sign that's someone's only experience dealing with underprivileged communities is thru TV portrayals.

/seriously, dude? You do know you're acting like a walking stereotype by posting that, right?

Why is it? Please enlighten us.
http://www.usnews.com/news/national/articles/2007/10/01/crack-vs-powder-cocaine-a-gulf-in-penalties
While pure cocaine was introduced for medicinal purposes in the 1880s, crack cocaine emerged in the mid-1980s in part because of its almost immediate high and the fact that it is inexpensive to produce and buy. Highly addictive, the two varieties are classified as Schedule II substances.

As a result of the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1986, Congress set forth different mandatory penalties for cocaine and crack cocaine, with significantly higher punishments for crack cocaine offenses.

Ah yes... white people talking about The Wire...

/seriously, dude?

I know, I know, I know. It shows up on those "only white people" lists but if that's really the only reason you are attacking me over it, then you're not playing fair.

I mean, you seemed to care a lot about where I lived so I figured I'd fill in the blanks and make your life easier.

Still waiting on your answer re:white privilege. For realsies.
I don't wish to entertain you. For realsies.

I don't wish to entertain you. For realsies.

I mean, you seem to dislike the term a lot but you've never quite summarized it. Figured you'd want to.

And you've been entertaining enough so I'm not disappointed.

I mean, you seem to dislike the term a lot but you've never quite summarized it. Figured you'd want to.

And you've been entertaining enough so I'm not disappointed.
Which is why I'm not entertaining you any further. Bc you purpose is just to argue and troll. And you living in Beantown is a perfect fit for you.

Which is why I'm not entertaining you any further. Bc you purpose is just to argue and troll. And you living in Beantown is a perfect fit for you.
Since when is all disagreement trolling? o_O
And wtf does Boston have to do with anything?

Asking to define the strawman you're attacking is trolling?
Apparently. He makes strawmen, blows them down, and pats himself on the back as winning over his opponent so it's not worth it.

Apparently. He makes strawmen, blows them down, and pats himself on the back as winning over his opponent so it's not worth it.

I don't think anyone is winning anything here actually. I just think it's a little funny that you're putting down medical students for protesting because they don't know what they're talking about re: law and law students because they want exams moved (even though they do know law).

What are you talking about?

The relationship of beantown to snow to cocaine. Try to keep up. Jeez!

Regarding why african americans distrust the law/judicial systems.

"When Clyde Ross was still a child, Mississippi authorities claimed his father owed $3,000 in back taxes. The elder Ross could not read. He did not have a lawyer. He did not know anyone at the local courthouse. He could not expect the police to be impartial. Effectively, the Ross family had no way to contest the claim and no protection under the law. The authorities seized the land. They seized the buggy. They took the cows, hogs, and mules. And so for the upkeep of separate but equal, the entire Ross family was reduced to sharecropping."

(I think referring to the 1960's).

From: http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/05/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

I was being facetious when I used the term above to @radkat101. Thought it was obvious.

I knew that, but I still want to know what you think it means. It was actually an honest question.

I don't think anyone is winning anything here actually. I just think it's a little funny that you're putting down medical students for protesting because they don't know what they're talking about re: law and law students because they want exams moved (even though they do know law).
You're right. Such a gallant and majestic sacrifice on the part of med students to lie down on the floor and text for 4 and a half minutes. You're right. about the law schols also, they should accommodate moving final exams for students who participate voluntarily in protests.

You're right. Such a gallant and majestic sacrifice on the part of med students to lie down on the floor and text for 4 and a half minutes. You're right. about the law schols also, they should accommodate moving final exams for students who participate voluntarily in protests.

Already pointed out that there's historical precedent for doing this for protests.

You, our social movement expert, is still avoiding a question. THE PEOPLE DEMAND ANSWERS TO THIS FACT FINDING MISSION!

Already pointed out that there's historical precedent for doing this for protests.

You, our social movement expert, is still avoiding a question. THE PEOPLE DEMAND ANSWERS TO THIS FACT FINDING MISSION!
Oh yes, historical precedent makes it completely ok then!! These protests were on par with the civil rights marches in the 1960s. :rolleyes: