doctor LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a no-no to get a LOR from a physician's assistant instead of a doc? I feel like I can get a stronger letter from a PA that I've worked with than a doc, but I don't know if it looks bad or questionable to the adcom if my LOR is from a PA instead. Help please!

Members don't see this ad.

Even a letter from a doc is pretty insignificant as the main letters they look at are the committee or your three professor's letters. I guess if you want/need marginal help use it...def won't HURT anything.

Suey said:
Is it a no-no to get a LOR from a physician's assistant instead of a doc? I feel like I can get a stronger letter from a PA that I've worked with than a doc, but I don't know if it looks bad or questionable to the adcom if my LOR is from a PA instead. Help please!

You can get a letter of recommendation from anyone, but some schools require a letter from a physician.

Obviously, it won't work in that case. All schools don't require the physician letter, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSDOC correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it just osteopathic school that want a rec from a DO?... I think it is a must since less is common knowledge about Osteopathy. I look at it this way, Anyone who has even thought about medicine knows a doc who could b.s. them a rec, so it doesn't seem like allo schools would place any emphasis on one.

BrettBatchelor said:
OSDOC correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it just osteopathic school that want a rec from a DO?... I think it is a must since less is common knowledge about Osteopathy. I look at it this way, Anyone who has even thought about medicine knows a doc who could b.s. them a rec, so it doesn't seem like allo schools would place any emphasis on one.

I don't understand your logic.

However, not all osteopathic schools require D.O. recommendation letters.

Most medical schools in general, however, require a letter from a physician.

Consult each individual school's website for the specifics.

I didn't make up the rules---the schools did. It does make sense that you spent some time learning about the profession you are about to enter, no matter what type of school you will be attending, however.

As far as "B.S.ing a recommendation"---> No, a large percentage of premeds do not know a physician, and specifically shadow a physician for the purpose of recieving such a letter.

Do not get a letter from:

An allied health professional (ie, PA, Nurse, PT, OT, etc.)

Your clergyman

A government official

A relative

A resident physician (loose rule, but you really want one from the highest ranking physician)

A physician who really doesn't know you. Some schools, esp. Osteo ones do want a letter from a physician, but if you have the choice make sure they actually have something valuable to say.

A non-science professor (loose rule and obviously to be broken if a school requires a letter from one

Bottom line is that a letter from a PA for acceptance to medical school will not carry much weight, no matter how well that person knows you or what it takes to be a physician/medical student.

Kimberli Cox said:
Do not get a letter from:

An allied health professional (ie, PA, Nurse, PT, OT, etc.)

Your clergyman

A government official

A relative

A resident physician (loose rule, but you really want one from the highest ranking physician)

A physician who really doesn't know you. Some schools, esp. Osteo ones do want a letter from a physician, but if you have the choice make sure they actually have something valuable to say.

A non-science professor (loose rule and obviously to be broken if a school requires a letter from one

Bottom line is that a letter from a PA for acceptance to medical school will not carry much weight, no matter how well that person knows you or what it takes to be a physician/medical student.

My pre-med advisor specifically wants us to have letters from non-science professors, and as far as I can tell from this board I think most people have had the same experience. I haven't looked at individual schools' requirements, but it seems like most do want letters from non-science professors.

Here's a question: one of my letters from a non-science prof is from a rabbi. He's writing as my professor, not as my clergyman. Is this bad? I hadn't even thought about it before. I don't have the option of not getting it (aside from having already asked from it) since my pre-med committee won't write a composite letter until they have at least 1 letter from a non-science prof.

To the OP: I would think a letter from a PA wouldn't be a great idea. Some people might question it and wonder why you bothered, since the PA doesn't have experience as a doctor so he/she can't really comment on your potential as a doctor.

tigress said:
My pre-med advisor specifically wants us to have letters from non-science professors, and as far as I can tell from this board I think most people have had the same experience. I haven't looked at individual schools' requirements, but it seems like most do want letters from non-science professors.

Here's a question: one of my letters from a non-science prof is from a rabbi. He's writing as my professor, not as my clergyman. Is this bad? I hadn't even thought about it before. I don't have the option of not getting it (aside from having already asked from it) since my pre-med committee won't write a composite letter until they have at least 1 letter from a non-science prof.

To the OP: I would think a letter from a PA wouldn't be a great idea. Some people might question it and wonder why you bothered, since the PA doesn't have experience as a doctor so he/she can't really comment on your potential as a doctor.

As I noted this (letters from Non-science professors) is a loose rule. I should have clarified more and stated that *most* of your letters should be from science professors but a letter from one non-science would be ok and that some schools do require it.

A letter from a rabbi is fine as long as he knows you in an academic sense. My "advice" (such as it is) was meant for those who think a letter from clergy who ONLY knows them in a religious sense is worthwhile. It falls into the same category as government officials - if they don't know you academically or how "fit" you would be for medical school, the LOR is practically worthless IMHO.

Hope this clarifies my thoughts on the matter.

Kimberli Cox said:
As I noted this (letters from Non-science professors) is a loose rule. I should have clarified more and stated that *most* of your letters should be from science professors but a letter from one non-science would be ok and that some schools do require it.

A letter from a rabbi is fine as long as he knows you in an academic sense. My "advice" (such as it is) was meant for those who think a letter from clergy who ONLY knows them in a religious sense is worthwhile. It falls into the same category as government officials - if they don't know you academically or how "fit" you would be for medical school, the LOR is practically worthless IMHO.

Hope this clarifies my thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for the advice :)