Doctor Shadowing in Austin, TX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gwiddlebones

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Are there any doctors or does anyone know of any doctors in Austin, TX who wouldn't mind being shadowed in the summer?
Particularly maybe in ER or surgery?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

gwiddlebones said:
Hey everyone,

Are there any doctors or does anyone know of any doctors in Austin, TX who wouldn't mind being shadowed in the summer?
Particularly maybe in ER or surgery?

Thanks.

Try volunteering in one of the ERs. I volunteered at Seton Southwest (Oak Hill area, across the street from ACC Pinnacle) and the ER docs there are really nice. I'm sure that if you talk to one of them, especially if you've been volunteering for a while, they'd be glad for you to shadow. One of the non-Brack Setons is always a good place to start . . . fewer gung ho freshman pre-meds are able to get there, so it's easier to get started and actually into the hospital. At Brack I think you have to work in the gift shop for a while . . . a semester maybe?

Good luck!

I would just contact a physician directly. A lot of physicians in Austin are really cool and would take you into their clinics. I've shadowed a couple of physicians at Brack and Children's and all it took was an email or phone call.

But you can surely volunteer if you want...they always need people at the gift shops.