About the ads

*DOCTORAL APPLICANTS READ FIRST* Helpful Threads

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by Therapist4Chnge, Mar 29, 2010.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty Moderator Emeritus

Psychologist
    SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    ALL posts about your statistics, chances of getting into a program, and or related topics MUST be posted in the WAMC: What are my chances thread. DO NOT make your own thread.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Portable Mentor*
    Psychology Graduate School * (external link)

*Added 07/16/13*
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Useful Application Threads:
    Ph.D./Psy.D. comparison
    APA-accredited Clinical/Counseling PhD/PsyD programs on Google Maps
    Admissions Stats: The Big Picture--Clinical, Counseling, & School
    Grad school survival guide (a.k.a. How to not live in a box)
    Advice From A Professor For Applicants To Ph.D. Programs
    Insider's Guide to Clinical/Counseling Psychology Thread
    Housing Resources and Data
    Kiss of Death in the Graduate School Application Process (external Link)
    Program admission rates (external link)
    Program placement into APA-acred internship sites (external link)

Useful Career Threads: (added 12/16/13)
    Describe Your Typical Day in Practice
    Would You Do It Over Again?
    Do You Enjoy The Work That You Do?

The idea is that these threads can still be found and bumped as needed, but non-applicant threads are not lost amongst the many applicant specific threads. If there are other general applicant threads that you think will be helpful, post a link to here, and I may add it to the list. To keep things neat, I may delete suggestions after they are reviewed so that the thread is kept informational and doesn't get off track on discussion of any one topic. -t4c
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. psychgirl77

psychgirl77

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
  3. nycegurl

nycegurl

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  4. psychstudent613

psychstudent613

Pre-Psychology
  5. Therapist4Chnge

Psychologist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
  6. Therapist4Chnge

Psychologist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I added the WAMC thread.
  7. Therapist4Chnge

Psychologist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
  8. Here are some FACTS all students should know. Clinical psychology is probably the most difficult graduate program in terms of how long the training takes and how many requirements you must pass (it will take you 8 years after college to become a licensed psychologist)

1) After completing your bachelor’s degree, a clinical psychology PHD or PsyD will take you an additional 5-7 years of full-time graduate study.

2) If your program is not funded, this may cost you $200,00 in loans.

3) There is a HUGE imbalance and shortage of internship positions (this is a requirement to graduate) and the stipend is $25,000 at best if you get into a super competitive position. There are currently about 100 applicants per 1-2 positions. Look at the APA MATCH RATES for each program before you apply. They should be close to 100%

4) If you are lucky enough to land a post-doc AFTER graduating, this will pay you between 25,000-45,000 on the high end.

5) After you graduate, you will still need 3,000 hours (this includes internship hours) to be licensed. You will need to take a demanding exam and some states have further regulations, such as an oral exam and case formulation, which may have very low passing rates (50% in NJ). This can delay your ability to practice after you graduate for several years!

6) Salaries in clinical psychology are among the lowest compared to other professions, particularly given the extensive training requirements you must pass (yes, its longer than medical school). Current salaries are very low for clinical post-docs (between 25,000-35,000). Average mid-career salaries can range from 60,000-85,000 plus depending on where you work.
  9. asker

asker

Non-Student
    Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum an don't know anything about psychology. I have Bachelor in Arts from international Institute (out of the US) and decided to enroll in online school and study psychology and become important:)

I live in Los Angeles and called to the California board and a few online universities. To be honest, I still don't know what program will be the best to get in psychology that can make me doctor. I know a few people that are Psy.D ad A few Ph.D. I don't know which is better.

I contacted CAPELLA University and enrolled in MS in Mental Health Counseling which is a 4 year program. Not sure why a master must be 4 years but the recruiter said if I want to open my own firm and practice after getting california state board license I have to study this program, even though they have 2 years master program, and will not allow me to practice and open firm after graduation. so, here is the question?

I want to get my doctoral degree and practice in the shortest time and don't know if this program will end up to that or no? please advise!
  10. PrisonPsych

PrisonPsych

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Please go through and read these forums. Online degrees are a waste of time and money and generally will not qualify you to get licensure. Don't waste your money.
  11. Jon Snow

Jon Snow Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    That's not accurate.
    Also not accurate. Average time of completion at a PhD program is 5-7 years (including internship). So, let's say you take 6 years. You are specializing in neuropsychology. That's 2 more years of postdoc. That's 8 years. You don't specialize, it's 7 years. Medical school residencies vary in length but the average is 4 years. So, 4 years medical school, 4 years residency. Some people then specialize further in 1-2 year fellowships. So, 8-10 years for med school. I think we can say that clinical psychology PhD programs are a similar time commitment to medical school.

Consider that postdocs are necessary for to be licensed. It's similar to a residency. If you've gone through a funded program, this isn't that bad a deal. Also, postdoc salaries can be higher than that. The mid-career salary estimate is also highly variable. This depends greatly on context and specialization. Many people START in that range coming out of postdoc.
  12. srabiee

srabiee

asker, have you checked out an MSW?
  13. WhitneyMS

WhitneyMS

Psychology Student
    Doctoral applicants,

I have a question. I heard that you can only hold one offer at a time?? Is this true? That's a little scary...
  14. ndlek21

ndlek21

Psychology Student
    This website discusses it a little:

http://www.temple.edu/psychology/clinical/documents/guidelines.pdf

I think the general rule of thumb is not to hold more than two at once.
  15. WhitneyMS

WhitneyMS

Psychology Student
    Thank you, this was helpful!
  16. Therapist4Chnge

Psychologist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
  17. Therapist4Chnge

Psychologist
    SDN 7+ Year Member