Doctoral Intervew Techniques

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CogNeuroGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured that with the doctoral application season upon us at the moment, it would be great to hear some diverse perspective from all over about the "do's and don'ts" in an interview for a doctoral program in some form of applied psychology. While there may not be a singular rule to be applied, it would still be great to gather some consensus about the process.

Members don't see this ad.

I figured that with the doctoral application season upon us at the moment, it would be great to hear some diverse perspective from all over about the "do's and don'ts" in an interview for a doctoral program in some form of applied psychology. While there may not be a singular rule to be applied, it would still be great to gather some consensus about the process.

Be a little early, shake everyones hand, make eye contact. Talk to everyone, staff and professors (not just the interviewers), and ask if you can speak with a current student. afterwards send your interviewers thank you emails and wait some more.

This is not going to be much different than any advice given for general job interviews.

***Be informed on the program and be able to fully articulate exactly why you want to be a psychologist. Have questions to ask of the faculty about the program and their work. Do not come off as having a "been there, done that" attitude in regarding to anything psychology related.

Members don't see this ad :)
From personal experience of an applicant who was exceptionally strong on paper. DO NOT get drunk at the dinner the night before interviews and inappropriately hit on female students of the program. Regardless of his stellar CV, he was axed right away from consideration.

From personal experience of an applicant who was exceptionally strong on paper. DO NOT get drunk at the dinner the night before interviews and inappropriately hit on female students of the program. Regardless of his stellar CV, he was axed right away from consideration.

Saw this at least twice. I also witnessed an otherwise stellar applicant make an anti-Semitic joke to a well known diversity researcher, which was truly baffling.

If you are going to get drunk and hit on anyone, make sure that it is the director of training. Why waste time on the other applicants? Sort of reminds me of Grey's Anatomy.

Saw this at least twice. I also witnessed an otherwise stellar applicant make an anti-Semitic joke to a well known diversity researcher, which was truly baffling.
Who was he - Rodney Dangerfield? Wow! Tough crowd in here. I get no respect. What a bunch of stiffs. I've seen better action at the morgue.
Album_no_respect.jpg

Ask questions that make it seem like you are really considering the program. Ask the grad students questions about themselves. Express enthusiasm (I have seen people great on paper "look" like they are disinterested and that can make those with decision making power think you won't accept an offer or aren't all that jazzed about the program/PI). Show your personality (unless your personality is one of those, ahem "acquired tastes" and then...tone it down). BEFORE the interviews have an honest conversation with yourself (and maybe some close friends if you can take their feedback gracefully) about what you do when you're nervous, and think about how that might come across. Some people clam up when they are nervous, others talk too much, some get slightly bossy/know-it-all-y. Then make an effort to work with your own tendencies to put your best self forward. Whether you like it or not, people will be fundamental attribution erroring you and assume your personality is always the way it is at the interview, so you want to be yourself. Ideally your real self, so that both you and the program can make an informed decision about whether you really want to be there or not.

Good stuff. For me personally, I know I have to try really really hard to be likeable to some degree. I suppose I feel like when I go to interviews (in general) or maybe employed somewhere where I want to achieve certain goals, I typically put on a "mask" to make me more likeable. So for instance, I will usually put myself "out there" to the boss if they need extra help, need someone to stay longer, come in on weekends, work for free, etc. If someone comes up and says "can you do all of this again" I have to try really extra hard to not snap, so I put my mask on and typically will say "I am so sorry, that was my fault, I will get this done right away." For me, if I had my way, I essentially wouldn't be employed anywhere. Since I know this, since I know my personality, I try to combat it with putting a mask on so that I am more pleasing or professional.

nobody likes a "pushover..."

But, it is expected that one is proactive and "going the extra mile" (within reason) is pretty much necessary in such a hypercompetitive field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Who was he - Rodney Dangerfield? Wow! Tough crowd in here. I get no respect. What a bunch of stiffs. I've seen better action at the morgue.
Album_no_respect.jpg

I heard most of his zingers in Caddyshack were unscripted and most of the reactions of the cast in the scenes were real/genuine.

"Can you make a shoe smell...?"

Once you hit the interview stage, being generally friendly and nice is super important. If I'm interviewing you, I think you're good enough on paper to take as a student. But people who are abrasive, reactive, moody-looking, or outright rude to current students, undergrads (sometimes I ask my undergrads to go talk to my applicants about the lab during downtime to give them info on the undergrad RA situation in the lab and to see if the applicants are rude or dismissive toward them), or other applicants (I've heard of people refusing to even speak to other applicants who are applying to the same POIs) come off very badly.

Remember that the entire day, including any social activity with grad students, is part of the interview.

And don't hit on anyone. Good god that's weird.

It's not really possible to do one "right thing" that will assure you a spot in the program, but it sure is possible to do something wrong that will move everyone else ahead of you.

I heard most of his zingers in Caddyshack were unscripted and most of the reactions of the cast in the scenes were real/genuine.

"Can you make a shoe smell...?"
He was a great one. He was being politically incorrect before we even had the term. Too bad you can't show up to an interview wearing a cheap flashy suit and dropping wisecracks. Of course by about halfway through internship we had our own comedy routines about some of the more eccentric personnel at the program.