DoctorLacrosse's Inspirational Comeback Story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Appreciate the kind words more than you know. Thank you!
No problem! I was motivated by your hard work to do better myself as a post-bacc, so I wanted to return the favor!

With your current AACOMAS GPA I believe you are set for DO, although MD is still a long shot. However, with another solid semester it might be worth applying for both because your ending is so much stronger than your beginning, especially if you get a solid MCAT score.

Btw, have you taken it already or are you waiting for your last semester to finish? I took mine last April two days after graduating and got a 28, which is fine for DO. It was nice because I could focus solely on my application during the summer.

Anyway, good luck for you! An A in biochem is incredible, rock these last 16 weeks and you won't look back with regrets on your undergrad days, especially after getting your acceptance(s)!

No problem! I was motivated by your hard work to do better myself as a post-bacc, so I wanted to return the favor!

With your current AACOMAS GPA I believe you are set for DO, although MD is still a long shot. However, with another solid semester it might be worth applying for both because your ending is so much stronger than your beginning, especially if you get a solid MCAT score.

Btw, have you taken it already or are you waiting for your last semester to finish? I took mine last April two days after graduating and got a 28, which is fine for DO. It was nice because I could focus solely on my application during the summer.

Anyway, good luck for you! An A in biochem is incredible, rock these last 16 weeks and you won't look back with regrets on your undergrad days, especially after getting your acceptance(s)!

it really does feel great to turn it around and, despite the despicable start, I'm happy with the lessons I've learned through this journey so far.

Also, I agree my MD GPA is still too low to expect anything there, but I'm also a URM, so with a good mcat score who knows what could happen.

I'm taking my MCAT in March after studying this whole break and the beginning of next semester, so I can focus solely on getting my app together from there, just like you did. can't wait for that first acceptance so I can finally put the regret of my first couple undergrad years behind me. what a glorious day it'll be haha!

Members don't see this ad :)
it really does feel great to turn it around and, despite the despicable start, I'm happy with the lessons I've learned through this journey so far.

Also, I agree my MD GPA is still too low to expect anything there, but I'm also a URM, so with a good mcat score who knows what could happen.

I'm taking my MCAT in March after studying this whole break and the beginning of next semester, so I can focus solely on getting my app together from there, just like you did. can't wait for that first acceptance so I can finally put the regret of my first couple undergrad years behind me. what a glorious day it'll be haha!
You bet! Apply to both if you can afford it, it will only increase your acceptance chances. If you go to LizziM's most recent Q & A session she shared several documents from AMCAS that gives us an insight on how adcoms judge applicants based on their GPAs and MCATs. The documents are on the very last pages of the posts and may be useful for you to determine what MCAT score you should shoot for to improve your chances the most.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your app season!

Reactions: 1 user
Will certainly do that! hope to have good news come next cycle. nervous, but fingers crossed

can't even believe I'm posting another one of these updates so soon. my last semester of undergrad really flew by. it was undoubtedly my best one yet, and I realized that I am completely capable of tackling med school. all of my self doubts have been put to rest, and I'm happy with the turn out. plus I finally graduated haha, feels great!

So here's how my final semester went (23 credits total!):

-5 non-science major courses: A, A, A, A, A-

-Upper division Bio (genetics): A

-Upper division Bio (Evolution): A

-Research credit (not in GPA): A

Semester GPA: 3.96

****FINAL OVERALL GPAs****
-MD: 3.35
-DO: 3.51
-Last 120+ credits: 3.65

Proud of myself. 23 credits was really no joke, especially on top of work, volunteering, and research, but I did it. and I was successful. the hard work paid off.

MCAT plans changed due to the stacked semester load, so that's now early summer. I am studying full time up until then, and really hoping I can kill it. do NOT want to push back anymore, or hurt my submission time anymore. crazy how time flies, just hope I can get my app in this cycle early enough and with a good enough score for an acceptance! As usual, hope you guys are doing just as well. Will update with an MCAT score once I know!!

...Should start titling these "Dear Diary" lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Also, I'd like to thank a few people for their honest input and motivation to do as well as I knew I could. you guys have been great, and really put me on a great path to hopefully someday be a successful applicant!

So thank you @Goro @Catalystik @miltonm @gyngyn @JGimpel @user3 @ChemEngMD ... the motivation and guidance you've given is appreciated! now back to the MCAT studying!

weird to look back at how far I've come. MCAT was taken early July, just waiting on scores to come in.

Primaries already submitted for both AMCAS and AACOMAS. praying for a decent score so I can finally get this applying show on the road!

sending good vibes to all the current applicants out there. good luck to us all!

Last edited:
Just stumbled upon this thread. Holy sh** dude, what a comeback! I started reading from the beginning and as I went on and on I got more into it and excited haha. Your story's amazing, congrats man! You absolutely killed it in the final stretch and have a great upward trend.

Good luck this cycle!

Reactions: 4 users
Just stumbled upon this thread. Holy sh** dude, what a comeback! I started reading from the beginning and as I went on and on I got more into it and excited haha. Your story's amazing, congrats man! You absolutely killed it in the final stretch and have a great upward trend.

Good luck this cycle!

honestly means a lot, thank you! it's nice to have it all documented to look back on someday lol. hopefully others see that as long as you have a plan, it's never too late to keep going for it. Thanks again!

So update...

MCAT scores came in earlier and I wasn't thrilled, to say the least. truly hoped for and expected higher, but I'm getting used to the whole getting let down thing.

ended up with a 27 (pretty balanced)

think I'm going to keep it, apply strategically to both MD and DO, and hope for the best. maybe a low tier MD could be possible, and praying DO is a likely possibility. Going to be a long year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi! Just stumbled upon this. Good job with the increased grades! I have question though, since it looks like you're taking 5-7 classes per semester... How are you doing this?!? I have heard of 4 classes per semester being average, 5 if you really want to push and really, really challenge yourself. How did you manage to take so many classes??

Also, I'm interested in NYCOM too! Good luck with your app :)

Hi! Just stumbled upon this. Good job with the increased grades! I have question though, since it looks like you're taking 5-7 classes per semester... How are you doing this?!? I have heard of 4 classes per semester being average, 5 if you really want to push and really, really challenge yourself. How did you manage to take so many classes??

Also, I'm interested in NYCOM too! Good luck with your app :)

haha thanks! I actually had to beg my advisors to allow me to overload credits every semester. at first they didn't think it was a good idea given my past record, but I convinced them I could. then once I showed I could handle it, they kept allowing it. I made sure not to waste the opportunity and use it to raise my grades as much as I could, as well as trying to show a steep upward trend with high credit loads.

I appreciate the post! If there's anything I can help with, please don't hesitate to ask!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
wow that's crazy! but how did you manage to take like 7 classes and work at the same time? i think that alone is going to give you several interviews because they will be curious, just as i am, at how you did it!!! please tell :) scheduling wise... HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?? would you mind posting like a brief day-to-day or weekly schedule? perhaps it can help me with my own scheduling. i do tend to waste a lot of time....and maybe seeing your schedule will help me eliminate all the time wasted! :)

Well, I tried to roughly calculate it.

So in a week there are 168 hours.

So 5 for research and 2 for volunteering. That leaves 161 hours left. Assuming you slept on average 7 hours a day, that's 161-49, or 112 hours left.

Assuming each class was about 3 hours/week, that's 112-3*8 (using the semester where you took the Islam class), 88 hours left. Giving you about 2 hours everyday to get to and come back from class/relax, shower, eat, or whatnot, that gives 74 hours left. Now if you have all that tim left over to study, that's about 9.25 hours of study time per class per week. I guess it really can work out :) But damn! if that isn't crazy. Now if I were you I would be ordering take out all the time so that I wouldn't waste time cooking..

Last edited:
wow that's crazy! but how did you manage to take like 7 classes and work at the same time? i think that alone is going to give you several interviews because they will be curious, just as i am, at how you did it!!! please tell :) scheduling wise... HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?? would you mind posting like a brief day-to-day or weekly schedule? perhaps it can help me with my own scheduling. i do tend to waste a lot of time....and maybe seeing your schedule will help me eliminate all the time wasted! :)

Well, I tried to roughly calculate it.

So in a week there are 168 hours.

So 5 for research and 2 for volunteering. That leaves 161 hours left. Assuming you slept on average 7 hours a day, that's 161-49, or 112 hours left.

Assuming each class was about 3 hours/week, that's 112-3*8 (using the semester where you took the Islam class), 88 hours left. Giving you about 2 hours everyday to get to and come back from class/relax, shower, eat, or whatnot, that gives 74 hours left. Now if you have all that tim left over to study, that's about 9.25 hours of study time per class per week. I guess it really can work out :) But damn! if that isn't crazy. Now if I were you I would be ordering take out all the time so that I wouldn't waste time cooking..

hahaha you honestly basically figured it all out. my usual days would be like morning classes on days I worked, then work afterwards (usually 8 hour shifts). days without work I could take afternoon classes/labs/research/volunteering depending on the day.

I honestly learned to just stay on top of studying so I wouldn't have to spend too much time doing it, though I admittedly pulled far more all nighters than I'd ever recommend to anyone else, especially for biochem lol. i sacrificed sleep on days when i had to to make the time restrictions work. I also worked every single weekend, 8 hours a day, and studied the mornings before work when I needed to, then study after if needed. it definitely is very difficult, and my sleep patterns sucked, but it's all worth it when you see the grades you pulled off.

edit: also, I lived at home, so luckily my parents did a lot of the cooking! which saved lots of time haha

that is so awesome! also about the all nighters, i know them all too well. that is why i avoid caffeine so that it works to my advantage in staying up. i always found i did better staying up and studying rather than giving up and sleeping..

home cooked meals are definitely the best... what do you do for work if you don't mind me asking?

lastly, and i do apologize for all of my badgering/pestering :(, do you have tips on avoiding burnout? i usually have a burnout spell for my second set of exams or if i can make it through that, then i burn out just before finals which sucks majorly.

also seeing as how you want to go to nycom, you didn't do this at a cuny did you?

that is so awesome! also about the all nighters, i know them all too well. that is why i avoid caffeine so that it works to my advantage in staying up. i always found i did better staying up and studying rather than giving up and sleeping..

home cooked meals are definitely the best... what do you do for work if you don't mind me asking?

lastly, and i do apologize for all of my badgering/pestering :(, do you have tips on avoiding burnout? i usually have a burnout spell for my second set of exams or if i can make it through that, then i burn out just before finals which sucks majorly.

also seeing as how you want to go to nycom, you didn't do this at a cuny did you?

ive had many different clinical jobs, I still work one now. I love it

for burn out, you just really have to keep your eye on the prize and concentrate on why you're doing all this. if you really want to be a doctor then this is what has to get done. keep your mind fresh, enjoy life when you have the time, and always buckle down when the time calls for it. good luck!

Last edited:
that's great to hear and thanks for the advice on burnout :)

glad to help! that's what this thread is all about. hopefully others can learn from my journey.

I just stumbled upon this thread while I was on break at work (yep, I peruse SDN for fun as an applicant lol) and got super excited at your semester GPA jumps haha. So I just wanted to say a huge Congrats!! I have a MCAT retake coming up in Sept so people turning things around is always super inspirational and exciting to hear! Internet high-five at your come-back for all of your grades, and wishing you great luck with this cycle! Keep us updated! :)

I just stumbled upon this thread while I was on break at work (yep, I peruse SDN for fun as an applicant lol) and got super excited at your semester GPA jumps haha. So I just wanted to say a huge Congrats!! I have a MCAT retake coming up in Sept so people turning things around is always super inspirational and exciting to hear! Internet high-five at your come-back for all of your grades, and wishing you great luck with this cycle! Keep us updated! :)

haha I love these comments, thank you! just waiting around for my committee letter to come in at this point which is no fun. good luck on your retake! I almost decided to do the same but didn't want to risk an even lower score. wish you the best!

Last edited:
LOVE this thread! Nice work. I was in the same position as you (I went to an Ivy League and completely botched my science classes) and got a 4.0 in my postbacc program. Boosted my MCAT from a 26 last year to a 30 this year and hoping for a better outcome! I don't know you, but I'm proud of you! LOL

Reactions: 3 users
LOVE this thread! Nice work. I was in the same position as you (I went to an Ivy League and completely botched my science classes) and got a 4.0 in my postbacc program. Boosted my MCAT from a 26 last year to a 30 this year and hoping for a better outcome! I don't know you, but I'm proud of you! LOL

it means a lot, and congrats on your incredible improvements also! I think a lot of people tell us we can't do it, it isn't possible. it's always great to hear about those making it happen. hoping we both have some success!

So the application season is underway, and I'm excited that I got my FIRST INTERVIEW! it's an MD one too, which was an awesome surprise! really hope I can do well, because it would be a dream come true to attend the school interviewing me. hopefully more to come as well.

Also it is crazy how expensive this process is. I applied to a ton of schools though, just needed to give myself the best chance possible. wishing the best for my fellow applicants!

Reactions: 14 users
Congrats! You're gonna do great! :)

Congrats! The sky is the limit with your resolve and determination, feel confident about your accomplishments at your interview!

Congrats! The sky is the limit with your resolve and determination, feel confident about your accomplishments at your interview!

After yesterday it's up to 3 interviews! but I can't thank you guys enough for the supportive words

Reactions: 5 users
After yesterday it's up to 3 interviews! but I can't thank you guys enough for the supportive words

Congratulations!! Super excited for you! Your story is truly inspirational and shows that nothing is impossible with a little courage and determination!! I got a 26 on my MCAT, and as expected, 0 ii. Would you mind sharing where you received ii? If you don't want to share, no worries. Good luck and Congrats!! :)

Congratulations!! Super excited for you! Your story is truly inspirational and shows that nothing is impossible with a little courage and determination!! I got a 26 on my MCAT, and as expected, 0 ii. Would you mind sharing where you received ii? If you don't want to share, no worries. Good luck and Congrats!! :)

thank you very much for the kind words. I wish you the best and hope you land some II soon! check out my post history to find where I got II, should be easy to find, if not, pm me. best of luck!

Awesome to hear you're getting interviews. Make sure and update us when you hear back.

OMFG Share your ways though. Congrats! I am in a similar boat. Started with a 2.6 sGPA at the end of sophomore year. Now up to ~2.85, hopefully 3.0 after this first quarter.

Last edited:
awesome story, with 3 interviews you should be fine, you'll probably get more. I screwed off big time in undergrad for similar "did nothing in high school and aced it anyway" and other reasons, except I didn't turn it around as an undergrad really, rather I didn't really pay that much attention to grades, but was studying art & lit and mainly writing papers so I could get by. I did really turn it around in my post-bacc the last two years and got 9 interviews so far this cycle and just got accepted to two md schools on wednesday. Nobody cared at all about my earlier gpa because I had shown so much improvement. In some interviews I was asked about the weakest part of my application and I mentioned my undergrad gpa and the ADCOM guy said, "that's really no biggie bc your most recent grades show your present commitment etc" and then moved on to other things. As an URM too you'll crush it. Amazing comeback! Here's to second winds and second acts!

Reactions: 1 users
OMFG Share your ways though. Congrats! I am in a similar boat. Started with a 2.6 sGPA at the end of sophomore year. Now up to ~2.85, hopefully 3.0 after this first quarter.

keep adjusting and making improvements, I have faith you'll get there. keep working hard!

awesome story, with 3 interviews you should be fine, you'll probably get more. I screwed off big time in undergrad for similar "did nothing in high school and aced it anyway" and other reasons, except I didn't turn it around as an undergrad really, rather I didn't really pay that much attention to grades, but was studying art & lit and mainly writing papers so I could get by. I did really turn it around in my post-bacc the last two years and got 9 interviews so far this cycle and just got accepted to two md schools on wednesday. Nobody cared at all about my earlier gpa because I had shown so much improvement. In some interviews I was asked about the weakest part of my application and I mentioned my undergrad gpa and the ADCOM guy said, "that's really no biggie bc your most recent grades show your present commitment etc" and then moved on to other things. As an URM too you'll crush it. Amazing comeback! Here's to second winds and second acts!

awesome turnout wow! congrats to you that's incredible. I'm at 3 MD and 1 DO so far. if any of these MD schools give me a shot I'll be forever grateful and certainly won't disappoint. nice to hear others having success with a similar story, and also awesome to hear adcoms understand

I bet you get at least 1, but also D.O. is great, the best Doctor I shadowed by far was a D.O. Pulmonologist, clearly brilliant and the medical education director of his hospital, watching him with patients was like watching an artist at work, and he credits his approach to his Osteopathic training.

I bet you get at least 1, but also D.O. is great, the best Doctor I shadowed by far was a D.O. Pulmonologist, clearly brilliant and the medical education director of his hospital, watching him with patients was like watching an artist at work, and he credits his approach to his Osteopathic training.

I greatly appreciate the encouragement. I've gotten this far with DO being the main goal, as I never imagined even getting a single MD invite. in reality I'd be very happy with either, as I've had similar experiences with DOs as you have, but it would be nice to have slightly fewer hoops to jump through. time will tell, but lets hope you're right!

I'm definitely making one of these threads after first quarter. I hope it'll motivate me more. :)

I'm definitely making one of these threads after first quarter. I hope it'll motivate me more. :)

I'm glad it's had a positive influence on you. I look forward to tracking your progress in your thread!

any updates for you??

have actually been waiting on an acceptance to update the thread, but no luck on that end so far :(

I am up to 6 MD and 2 DO interviews so far though, so I really can't complain. I'm blessed and extremely thankful to even have this many chances. hopefully one of these amazing MD programs takes a chance on me. time will tell, but remaining realistic until then!

Reactions: 11 users
have actually been waiting on an acceptance to update the thread, but no luck on that end so far :(

I am up to 6 MD and 2 DO interviews so far though, so I really can't complain. I'm blessed and extremely thankful to even have this many chances. hopefully one of these amazing MD programs takes a chance on me. time will tell, but remaining realistic until then!

omg that's sooooo awesome dude!!! So happy for you!!

Your a legend dude

Great job—really. You're definitely doing the inspirational thing right. :happy:

Your a legend dude

hahahaha this made me lol. thanks man!

Great job—really. You're definitely doing the inspirational thing right. :happy:

I just figured if I was going to go down this long path with no known future, I might as well record it and hope it helps someone going through similar things. I spent many nights tossing and turning thinking I'd never really get to this point. feels dreamlike to be here. one acceptance and I'll be over the moon. Appreciate it greatly though, thank you.

Reactions: 3 users
DoctorLacrosse, you killed it man. That honestly is incredibly inspiring. With that many interviews you're bound to get in. Way to go brother and best of luck from here on out.