About the ads

Doctorofmindmd

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by IvanPavlov, May 22, 2009.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. IvanPavlov

IvanPavlov

SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I recently discovered DOCTOROFMINDMD on You Tube. You will enjoy his videos.

The doctor describes himself "As a practicing clinician in America and medical doctor (M.D.), I present real information on mental illness/ the mind / psychiatric medication and current events...."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGhptjGg5rE
  2. Hinglish

Hinglish

Other Health Professions Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I've been sitting here for the past hour watching his videos. Very informative, thanks!
  3. grandslam521

grandslam521 Junior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Informative but extremely creepy!
  4. FuturaDocta

FuturaDocta Pop_Princess_MD

SDN 2+ Year Member
    OMG! I actually posted a vid of this guy in the Lounge and didn't even know you did too!

Anyway, I think he is amazing too. I would love to be one of his students one day. He is wacky cool and super intelligent! He isn't mainstream, as I mentioned before. That just adds to amazingness of him.

Also, I understand why some people think he is creepy. I think it is an act. In his earlier videos he comes off as just informative. He seems to want more subscribers, so he could be a partner. So, I think that is why he start acting like his patients. haha... I think it very productive, because I actually enjoy watching it.
  5. phorensic

phorensic

Medical Student
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    uh that dude is beyond creepy.......i cant even watch a video of his for more than 10 seconds.
  6. FuturaDocta

SDN 2+ Year Member

See some of his earlier vids. He is more professional there. I think he started acting creepy to be more entertaining. He is just trying to make you learn with "interest." Not you in particular, since you seem to already be interested in psychiatry, but the patients or people in general.

I subscribe to him on youtube, because I learn so much from his videos. I would love to be one of his students one day. A plus is that he is super passionate about what he does.

I get why you think he is creepy. It took me a while to get past that. hahaha!
  7. not so calm now

not so calm now MS-4

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    He strongly alludes to having Asperger syndrome in one of the vids...this makes sense as the guy is just really bizarre (but also awesome to watch.) The fact that he uses "your" instead of "you're" a lot really bothers me. I guess there's a possibility he could be a well-researched fake, possibly the crazy brother of a psychiatrist and a patient himself. I really want to believe the guy is real though. That video of him rolling around the hay in a red bikini bottom? Priceless.
  8. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 7+ Year Member
    Nothing I have read in this thread makes me want to click on any of these links.... :eek:
  9. not so calm now

not so calm now MS-4

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    What's interesting is most of his videos have a pretty low viewing count. I figured this guy would be an internet sensation by now.

I guess there's technically no rule that you can't roll around in the hay in your bikini bathing suit and still be a psychiatrist...or vlog about how happy you are that your students are good enough so you don't get called in when on call.

Let's figure out who this guy is. Claims he's made and other inductions I've made from watching ~100 of his videos:

• First name is Mark.
    • Age is late 30s.
    • Works at a US academic hospital as attending physician.
    • Research interests include prevention of youth suicide.
    • Lives on large ranch with tons of animals, scenery looks like western U.S. Maybe Montana? Colorado?
  10. VMSmith

VMSmith

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
  11. Faebinder

Faebinder Slow Wave Smurf

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
  12. not so calm now

not so calm now MS-4

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
  13. Hinglish

Hinglish

SDN 2+ Year Member
  14. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 7+ Year Member
    hmm. Liked the "Social Worker" one better. ;)
  15. Hinglish

Hinglish

SDN 2+ Year Member
    the social worker was great too
  16. Encephalopathy

Encephalopathy

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Compazine isn't low-dose chlorpromazine, its prochlorperazine. And chlorpromazine and olanzapine differ by more than just a fluoride atom.

I'm voting that he's an "experienced" patient, especially after seeing that hay video.
  17. VMSmith

VMSmith

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
  18. VMSmith

VMSmith

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
  19. VMSmith

VMSmith

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    In some of these videos he looks like the guy from Quantum Leap.
  20. not so calm now

not so calm now MS-4

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    He's like if Ben Stein and Pauly Shore mated
  21. Solideliquid

Solideliquid Members Only

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
  22. chaz3med

chaz3med

Medical Student
    He's Dr. Mark Armerding.
  23. not so calm now

not so calm now MS-4

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
  24. psymed

psymed

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    thank you for IvanPavlov for introducing us to doctorofmindmd. I really needed a good laugh. Had a bad day. I wasn't going to click on the link but really glad that I did. I like that the videos are super short and don't drag on forever.
  25. not so calm now

not so calm now MS-4

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Just in case more evidence is needed that the identity of this guy has been confirmed:

26. IvanPavlov

IvanPavlov

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks. I am glad that you enjoyed his videos. He recently published a new book on Suicide and is selling autographed copies for $50.

doctorofmindmd's new book. :cool:
  27. FuturaDocta

SDN 2+ Year Member
    And, I believe he will autograph it no charge! Did you get the book yet? I wonder if I could have a personal review of the book before I buy it. thanks!
  28. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    This is great, but it's totally interfering with my step I studying. Oh well. Any thoughts as to what happened to him?
  29. zenman

zenman Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    http://www.spartanmed.org/alumni_success_stories.html

Mark William Viner, MD

A Diplomate - American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Inc. (1998-2018), Dr. Viner is licensed to practice in Utah, Arizona, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada and Connecticut. He completed his education at Spartan in 1989 and thereafter has risen to great heights in the field of Psychiatry.
    He is currently the Chief of Staff, Senior Staff Psychiatrist for the State of Nevada Division of Mental Health and Developmental Services, NNAMHS, besides serving as Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health, University of Nevada.

He holds membership with the American Medical Association, American Psychiatric Association, American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology, American College of Physicians and the American Association of Suicidology. He is on the Advisory Board of Directors for American Health Care, Inc., Roseville, California. He actively contributes as a journal reviewer for the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry.

Dr .Viner has won the Exemplary Psychiatrist Award at National Alliance for the Mentally Ill, Nevada (2008); the Governor’s Citation, State of Maryland, 17th Annual Youth Suicide Prevention Program (2005); Exemplary Psychiatrist Award at the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill, Connecticut, (1994).

Dr. Viner is a great supporter for mental health, having written the book, "Suicide," and having made many appearances both within the State of Nevada and all around the country. Still he claims that it's tough to be recognized as one who studies the most terrible act one can take, that being taking one's own life. He says mental illnesses are such a serious topic, he admits there's much work to be done on erasing the stigma.