doctors involved in politics

neur0goddess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Politics has always been my favorite discipline. I absolutely love history and political philosophies, discussing current events, debating different viewpoints (and playing devil's advocate just to learn more about the other side), etc. I know a lot of people think MBTI is a bunch of bs, but for those who don't, I'm the archetypal ENTP (if this helps you understand where my love for politics is coming from).

I desperately want to become a surgeon. I can deal with the long hours, and I've always been independent so I don't mind not being available to loved ones every second of every day. In the future I definitely want to get married, but I don't know about kids. And if I did have any, I'd have 1 or 2. Anyways, I know med school is a long haul but I think the debt, stress, sleep deprivation and lack of social life in my 20's will all be worth it. Some jaded SDN members may laugh at my naïveté, but I've read near every forum and I know of the cons of going into medicine. I've heard the phrase "if there's anything else you'd rather do than medicine, do that" 100 times. I know it's super competitive and that I'll be a slave to the feds until my 40's paying off my student loans. A part of me extrapolates that maybe later on in college I'll realize that medicine isn't for me, but another part of me knows that I CAN become a doctor if I work hard enough and remain motivated.

This is where my aforementioned love for politics comes into play. I'm a natural born leader with a knack for coming up with innovative solutions to problems. This is going to sound super conceited but I always find myself seeing factors, explanations and solutions that other people don't seem too. A lot of the times when I offer input, the response I hear from the other person is something along the lines of, "Wow, I didn't think of that!". Again, this is coming across as pretty
narcissistic but I'm just trying to say that I think I have ingenuity. I can easily see myself giving speeches to the masses, signing or voting through a revolutionary bill, acting as a mediator between two belligerent countries, etc. I want to be a doctor and a politician. Is it impossible to establish myself as a respectable, "famous" doctor and then later on becoming involved in the Senate or the House? I know this is extremely laughable, cliche and naive but I honestly want to be the POTUS. I sincerely apologize if I'm coming across as ludicrous, but jeez these are my aspirations.

Ron Paul did it, but can a Gen Z do it in this day and age? Would I honestly be able to find the time to campaign and get involved with politics while juggling a career in medicine? Or would I have to retire from medicine early? Or should I just completely abandon the thought of becoming a doctor and just fully devote myself to politics?

Sorry for this super long post but please offer some feedback on my predicament. Btw I'm currently 16, a junior in HS.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
One of the most frustrating things I've observed in medical school is how disconnected medical students, and even many doctors are from the politics of medicine. The avg. medical student doesn't have a freaking clue. We need more people in medicine who don't submit to the BS and take a stand for the profession. Obviously, you should major in poli sci/govt. and get actively involved in these things while in undergrad. This will set you up to be a unique applicant, and you would almost certainly have the time to partake, or even create organizations in medical school that open people's eyes to the realities of these issues. I spend hours listening to lectures on how to behave ethically and show compassion, but not once have I been lectured on healthcare politics.

All that being said, I would NOT do this if you would really rather be a politician than a doctor. No way in hell you will be able to make it all the way through med school knowing you ultimately just want to be a politician. It would be an absolute waste of your time. I think many physician politicians made this decision AFTER their medical education.

Sorry for the double edit.

Last edited:
One of the most frustrating things I've observed in medical school is how disconnected medical students, and even many doctors are from the politics of medicine. The avg. medical student doesn't have a freaking clue. We need more people in medicine who don't submit to the BS and take a stand for the profession. Obviously, you should major in poli sci/govt. and get actively involved in these things while in undergrad. This will set you up to be a unique applicant, and you would almost certainly have the time to partake, or even create organizations in medical school that open people's eyes to the realities of these issues. I spend hours listening to lectures on how to behave ethically and show compassion, but not once have I been lectured on healthcare politics. I say go for it!

wow, thank you! I definitely want to study poli sci but I'm also extremely fascinated by neuroscience/neurobiology/psychobiology. Would a double major be practical or just too much work?

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the most frustrating things I've observed in medical school is how disconnected medical students, and even many doctors are from the politics of medicine. The avg. medical student doesn't have a freaking clue. We need more people in medicine who don't submit to the BS and take a stand for the profession. Obviously, you should major in poli sci/govt. and get actively involved in these things while in undergrad. This will set you up to be a unique applicant, and you would almost certainly have the time to partake, or even create organizations in medical school that open people's eyes to the realities of these issues. I spend hours listening to lectures on how to behave ethically and show compassion, but not once have I been lectured on healthcare politics. I say go for it!

EDIT: Upon reading your post again, I'm not sure my response is relevant to your aspirations. Are you looking to become a physician actively involved in politics, or a politician who also happens to be a physician? If it's the former, then yes it's quite possible. If the later then maybe, but not without making medicine your main priority for the next 10-15 years.

The latter. Do you mean 10-15 years starting now or after med school or residency?

The latter. Do you mean 10-15 years starting now or after med school or residency?

You would ultimately need to finish your medical education before getting this involved in politics. It seems like a colossal waste of time to do all of this if you would rather be a politician.

You'll get different opinions on the double major. But I would strongly recommend just majoring in political science. You'll get more than enough of the biology in medical school.

wow, thank you! I definitely want to study poli sci but I'm also extremely fascinated by neuroscience/neurobiology/psychobiology. Would a double major be practical or just too much work?
I have never heard of anyone with a political science and neurobio (or related) double major who actually graduated with the double major in four years, let alone one who also gained admission to medical school straight out of college. I know of a couple who tried and failed.

If your goal is to get into medical school, then you do not need to complete a biology major.

I have never heard of anyone with a political science and neurobio (or related) double major who actually graduated with the double major in four years, let alone one who also gained admission to medical school straight out of college. I know of a couple who tried and failed.

If your goal is to get into medical school, then you do not need to complete a biology major.

a small part of me died reading that to be completely honest lol but thank you for being frank

One of the most frustrating things I've observed in medical school is how disconnected medical students, and even many doctors are from the politics of medicine. The avg. medical student doesn't have a freaking clue. We need more people in medicine who don't submit to the BS and take a stand for the profession. Obviously, you should major in poli sci/govt. and get actively involved in these things while in undergrad. This will set you up to be a unique applicant, and you would almost certainly have the time to partake, or even create organizations in medical school that open people's eyes to the realities of these issues. I spend hours listening to lectures on how to behave ethically and show compassion, but not once have I been lectured on healthcare politics.

All that being said, I would NOT do this if you would really rather be a politician than a doctor. No way in hell you will be able to make it all the way through med school knowing you ultimately just want to be a politician. It would be an absolute waste of your time. I think many physician politicians made this decision AFTER their medical education.

Sorry for the double edit.

This might sound a tad whiny but it's so hard to just KNOW. Like I hear these stories about how medicine is a "calling" and I'm scared that I might be lying to myself about wanting to go into medicine. I can't figure out if I really, deeply just want to go into it to save lives or the prestige/respect/authority/paycheck/bragging rights. Did you ever think about this? How does one know if they're making the right choice?

This might sound a tad whiny but it's so hard to just KNOW. Like I hear these stories about how medicine is a "calling" and I'm scared that I might be lying to myself about wanting to go into medicine. I can't figure out if I really, deeply just want to go into it to save lives or the prestige/respect/authority/paycheck/bragging rights. Did you ever think about this? How does one know if they're making the right choice?

You won't know until you go out and actually experience it (shadowing, volunteering, ER scribe, etc...). It's just as much of a mistake to go into medicine because it's a "calling" and you want to "help people" as it is for money and prestige. The things that draw people into medicine are different for everyone. I was a firefighter before med-school and eventually worked my way into an emergency room to do some volunteering and shadowing before I applied. What drew me was the personalities of the docs, the work environment, the pace, the variety, the ability to use extensive knowledge to solve problems, etc.... "Helping people" was never really a motivation for me. That could be because many of the patients I saw were hostile, disrespectful, seeking drugs, or using the ED as a free clinic. I still enjoyed the interactions and look forward to a career in medicine. I've really been enjoying med school so far, but really don't fit in with the "OMG I'm gonna be a doctor and save the world!" crowd. Medicine is ultimately just a job to me and I have other interests that I pursue while I'm here (politics amongst them as I was a political science major). I look forward to becoming a doc but if you have ANY doubts about being a physician after getting a taste of medicine, DON'T do it.

Also FWIW, as a politician you have the potential to help people on a MUCH larger scale than you could as a doc. Unfortunately, not many politicians use their power to actually do this.

Last edited:
This is where my aforementioned love for politics comes into play. I'm a natural born leader with a knack for coming up with innovative solutions to problems. This is going to sound super conceited but I always find myself seeing factors, explanations and solutions that other people don't seem too. A lot of the times when I offer input, the response I hear from the other person is something along the lines of, "Wow, I didn't think of that!". Again, this is coming across as pretty narcissistic but I'm just trying to say that I think I have ingenuity. I can easily see myself giving speeches to the masses, signing or voting through a revolutionary bill, acting as a mediator between two belligerent countries, etc. I want to be a doctor and a politician. Is it impossible to establish myself as a respectable, "famous" doctor and then later on becoming involved in the Senate or the House? I know this is extremely laughable, cliche and naive but I honestly want to be the POTUS. I sincerely apologize if I'm coming across as ludicrous, but jeez these are my aspirations.

One of my history professors once said, while talking about some of his colleagues, "those who want to be department chairs, probably shouldn't be department chairs." Everyone at one point or another has envisioned themselves as the Harry Truman/buck stops here who possesses the supreme authority or knowledge to address an issue. In all sincerity, how do you know that you possess ingenuity, or are innovative? How do you know that you're a natural-born leader? It's a fair bet that you haven't been exposed to so many people where you're "traits" can be defined as such.

What you'll find as you continue to age is that there is always someone who is smarter/faster/stronger etc. at something than you are. Hopefully, you don't have to learn the hard way.

One of my history professors once said, while talking about some of his colleagues, "those who want to be department chairs, probably shouldn't be department chairs." Everyone at one point or another has envisioned themselves as the Harry Truman/buck stops here who possesses the supreme authority or knowledge to address an issue. In all sincerity, how do you know that you possess ingenuity, or are innovative? How do you know that you're a natural-born leader? It's a fair bet that you haven't been exposed to so many people where you're "traits" can be defined as such.

What you'll find as you continue to age is that there is always someone who is smarter/faster/stronger etc. at something than you are. Hopefully, you don't have to learn the hard way.

Again, I know I sound like I have a God complex but I promise that's not the case. I've been insecure in myself in the past but now I'm starting to realize that I have potential, and I don't think some healthy confidence is a bad thing. I'm not here for pity or attention because I know for a fact that there are always gonna people who are "smarter/faster/stronger" than me in many ways, but don't we all want to believe we're good at something? And the answer to your questions is that I don't know. You're right, I haven't had the chance to actually see if I am any of those things. But I don't need other people's approval; if I realize that I do in fact possess the qualities of a natural born leader then I won't not get involved in politics because of some people's opinions.

Side note: so was your professor saying that people who DON'T want to be department chairs should be department chairs? People should be able to do what they want to do; if someone wants to be a doctor then why shouldn't they be a doctor? Sorry if there's some detail I'm not seeing here, I'm just an overworked junior lol.

& Thanks for your reply!

I don't understand why pre-meds WANT to double major. What is the point?

I guess if they're interested in two distinct subjects? And if their career in medicine doesn't work out they can have a marketable and applicable degree to fall back on (assuming most pre-meds who double major major in a science-related field and a non-science related field, respectively.)

Members don't see this ad :)
"Helping people" was never really a motivation for me.

It's a big relief to hear you say that; the cliche answer to "why medicine" always seem to be some variation of that and I was sure a large majority of doctors went into it for that reason.
Did you enjoy your poli sci major? What does it entail, like what kinds of classes did you take & what exactly do you learn about? Political theory, government, US history, etc? Do you think you'll want to get involved with politics as a career later on?

It's a big relief to hear you say that; the cliche answer to "why medicine" always seem to be some variation of that and I was sure a large majority of doctors went into it for that reason.
Did you enjoy your poli sci major? What does it entail, like what kinds of classes did you take & what exactly do you learn about? Political theory, government, US history, etc? Do you think you'll want to get involved with politics as a career later on?

I enjoyed it because it was a good way to balance out all of the pre-med stuff. It gave me a break from the sciences (which I'm now bombarded with). There's a lot of variety to the major, so I took a mix of stuff ranging from public policy to Middle Eastern politics. It was all pretty cool, but I actually went into the major more interested in politics than I came out of it. I began to see all the shades of gray in politics/policy, became less passionate about issues, and ultimately just got really sick of the polarization we see nowadays. This certainly doesn't happen to everyone, but other than trying to be a voice in healthcare policy, and keeping up with current events, I wouldn't want to get any more involved than this.

I guess if they're interested in two distinct subjects? And if their career in medicine doesn't work out they can have a marketable and applicable degree to fall back on (assuming most pre-meds who double major major in a science-related field and a non-science related field, respectively.)

Probably best to just stick with the marketable major so you don't get in over your head and blow your GPA for a shot at med school. There will be plenty of science waiting for you there, and if you're really so interested in it, there's no need to spend money on classes to learn about it.

Let me GUESS you're a Ben Carson fan boy?
Edit: *girl

Last edited:
Probably best to just stick with the marketable major so you don't get in over your head and blow your GPA for a shot at med school. There will be plenty of science waiting for you there, and if you're really so interested in it, there's no need to spend money on classes to learn about it.

I can't thank you enough for all your insight, you're really helping me make some major life decisions. wish you all the best in your medical career :)

But I don't need other people's approval; if I realize that I do in fact possess the qualities of a natural born leader

What I was trying to insinuate was that it's premature to self-state that one is a "natural-born leader." Leadership is not an innate trait; it possesses subtleties that require refinement, and mistakes, over time. A person develops leadership qualities through active or passive exposure to those qualities. You could have the potential to be a "leader" at some point in your life. However, other people would have a more objective take in determining whether you're a "leader" here and now.

so was your professor saying that people who DON'T want to be department chairs should be department chairs?

What he meant was that they're end-game wasn't to put the department's needs first and foremost. While they wanted to help their department, their primary motivation was that they would be "in charge" of decision-making for whatever issues were in their purview. Ambition can be a good thing, when you temper it within a larger context. But having ambition for ambition's sake usually causes issues down the road.

I don't understand why pre-meds WANT to double major. What is the point?

Eh it depends on the major. I know people who did science majors as well as majors like music or English just because they enjoyed that kind of stuff; this seemed pointless to me. However some subjects can be very useful. I got degrees in biology and economics, which is something that will actually be beneficial unlike music.

Med students are too busy surviving to worry about politics. Read the med school threads. There's not much time for anything else.
Then there is residency. ..

There is one person in the house of representatives in my home state who was an ER doc. However, I am not sure if he is still practicing or if he has completely devoted his time to politics. He spoke in one of my classes, and I was surprised by how down to earth he was. I am glad there are physicians entering the political arena, because they can take up the health issues from the stand point of a physician (not some lawyer or someone far removed from a clinical setting).

There is one person in the house of representatives in my home state who was an ER doc. However, I am not sure if he is still practicing or if he has completely devoted his time to politics. He spoke in one of my classes, and I was surprised by how down to earth he was. I am glad there are physicians entering the political arena, because they can take up the health issues from the stand point of a physician (not some lawyer or someone far removed from a clinical setting).
Are you from Oregon?
Edit: you don't have to answer that publicly lol

If you want to go into politics as a doctor you have to do ophthalmology like Rand Paul, that way you'll be able to see through the Washington bulls&'t!

I too am very interested in both politics and medicine. There are a number of individuals who have done both (but not necessarily simultaneously). Also, there is a lot more to politics than just holding a political office. There are countless of physicians (and med students) who work to lobby congress and local governments. This involves being on Capital Hill/in state houses while also practicing medicine (assuming you don't lobby full time). If you really want to go into politics as a doctor, that's one way to get your foot in the door.

I think you should first decide whether you really want to do medicine. To go want to go into medicine, not alone surgery, is a big enough decision in itself that will delay any political prospects for a while. You also won't realistically make that decision until the middle of college. To be honest, it sounds like you are more interested in politics than medicine (which is completely okay). If I were you, I would walk the line during the beginning of college. You don't even need to choose a major when you first start (some schools won't even let you choose a major, some will make you choose one to act as a placeholder). Take the required English and math and throw in a poli sci course and throw in either bio or chem (or both). By the end of your 1st year of college you will probably have a decent idea if you like the hard or soft sciences more. If you find that you like both, either do bio and take poli sci electives or do poli sci and take the premed pre-req's.

Of course, if you want to go into an elected office you need to refrain from doing anything too extreme during college (wild protests, getting arrested with drugs, getting too involved in controversial topics, etc). It is also good to remember that it takes many years to become an established politician (ex: school board --> state rep --> Congress --> Gov --> POTUS/Secretary) and you are already using many of your years to become a doctor. As a surgeon you will be spending even more years in advanced training. Not to mention that you may take a gap year or 2 between college and med school, start a family, deal with personal hardship, fight off a longstanding career politician, lose a couple elections, etc. All of which will eat up more years of your life.

Do what you think will make you happy. Just realize that it nothing is ever as clear cut as it seems (as I'm sure you already know).

I can think of a few doctors who are involved in politics:

The obvious Rand Paul
Trent Lott, republican senator.
Ben Carson, republican candidate for president in 2016, is a neurosurgeon

But this article does a better job:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/08/u...ir-healing-powers-rush-for-congress.html?_r=0

Ex: "At least 26 more physicians are running for the House, some for re-election. In all, 20 people with medical degrees serve in Congress today, 17 in the House and three in the Senate, a number that has doubled over the last decade, according to the American Medical Association. (By contrast, a Johns Hopkins University study found that from 1960 to 2004, only 25 physicians served in either the House or the Senate.)"

Google/wiki - Bobby Jindal - current Governor of Louisiana - accepted to Yale Law and Harvard Med - turned both down to study @ Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar and turned down Mckinsey and Company (Prestigious consulting company w/ $200K+ starting salary) - for interning at a congressman's office (something I've done as an undergrad).

What I'm saying is - he turned down all these great opportunities and then became someone extremely successful - not the norm, but basically, if you want to pursue a specific goal - going to med school (which takes up half your life) - may not be the best bet. Rand Paul is a Senator because of his father - money came from network of supporters. Many docs are involved on the state level - but going through med school is not necessary. Or you could major in something you like - politically related. I'd actually recommend majoring in finance & Economics - I wish I did, however I majored in neuroscience - nothing "special." (I changed my mind from med school to PA school due to shorter 2 yr program length and ability to practice in any specialty - it also gives me the opportunity to pursue other opportunities at a young age. You honestly sound like me, hence the switch, I would like to help people through medicine, not law, and involve myself in other activities etc ). You can always get involved at the state level - and if lucky, maybe campaign in your late twenties/early thirties. Then move up from state level etc and so forth

I'd recommend law school if politics is a goal. It's intellectually stimulating and you can make a huge difference - even more so than docs. Debt may be a concern - but if from a T14 school - you can land a nice gig.

I enjoy political philosophy and economics as well - reading the likes of Friedman, Hayek, Burke, Smith, Bastiat, Nathaniel Branden, Rand, Peikoff, Mark Levin, Bernstein, Rothbard, Hazlitt, Von Mises etc.
Pursuing personal studies in German idealism, collectivism, socialism, capitalism, fascism, Marxism, subjectivism, relativism, objectivism, egalitarianism, individualism, self-interest etc all that good stuff. - however, I chose PA school, still medicine - giving me the opportunity to practice early on and getting involved with many extracurricular activities(community, political, etc) that I may never get the chance to do with roughly 10+ years passing by because of med school + residency + paying off debt + possibly getting married after - at the end of that path - I'd be in my late thirties - or I can be in my mid-twenties having the opportunity to do all that I value and love.

Med school is one of the biggest endeavors one could pursue. Biggest sacrifice

Last edited:
One of the most frustrating things I've observed in medical school is how disconnected medical students, and even many doctors are from the politics of medicine. The avg. medical student doesn't have a freaking clue. We need more people in medicine who don't submit to the BS and take a stand for the profession.
Hmm... I think the AMA has been powerful enough.

thanks everyone!! your advice has been completely indispensable! :)