doctor's salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of sites you can use to find out the salary you can get. The second site lets you plug in your zip code or city name which is quite helpful when looking for where you want to practice.

1. http://www.physicianssearch.com/physician/salary1.html

2. http://hotjobs.salary.com/salarywizard/layoutscripts/swzl_newsearch.asp

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, no joke. I've been on this site 4+ years, and you still surpassed me in # of posts.

Whree in VA are you from? I'm from NoVA here.

Q, DO

I'm in Manassas until my husband finds a job in Blacksburg. I would move tomorrow if I could. I hate it here and we have only been here since June 2003. We moved here from Richmond.

It amazes me how many SDNers that are over 2000 and only been here for a year. That's ok, we only speak when we have something important to say, not to pad our post numbers.:cool: :D :cool: :D

interesting site, amy B. Thanks for sharing!:D

Sounds like Q should have been a surgeon! (competitiveness)

:horns:

Hi all,
Although this is going to make me sound money hungry
(which I'm really not, I promise) someone told me that
DOs make less money than MDs. I argued that that must
be simply because more DOs go into primary care specialities
which pay slightly less. Truth be known, I really don't know
if there's any validity to my friend's comment. Will someone
set the record straight for me?

Thanks!

Your argument was correct. The average salary for DOs looks lower because there are more of us in the lower paying primary care fields. On the other hand, DO neurosurgeons can make just as much as MD neurosurgeons. It's all about how much you bill and how many cases you take in any given year, and how much you actually get paid by insurance companies and medicare.

BTW, I am assuming that those salaries are before malpractice premiums? If so, take a healthy chunk out for that.

I think those are after malpractice. However it is before taxes so yeah, say good by to a good chunk of it.

thanks for the info

Originally posted by Amy B
I'm in Manassas until my husband finds a job in Blacksburg. I would move tomorrow if I could. I hate it here and we have only been here since June 2003. We moved here from Richmond.

It amazes me how many SDNers that are over 2000 and only been here for a year. That's ok, we only speak when we have something important to say, not to pad our post numbers.:cool: :D :cool: :D

<Shiver> Manassas. I went to high school in Chantilly... moved there in 1989, graduated HS 95, then went to JMU, graduated 99. I plan on moving back to NoVA when I'm done with residency (2.5 years!). Manassas is just... so... NOT NoVA. :)

And there is no differnece in teh salary between MDs and DOs in the same field. I wholly expect to make 200k+ when I am finished.

Q, DO

do a lot of tax deductions. i know doctors that do so much tax deduction they end up paying only 20 percent of their income on tax...

own a business, give to charities, pay interest on a mortgage for a home, etc.

Originally posted by glorytaker
Am I correct that if you have an annual salary of $100,000 that you would pay about $40,000-50,000 in taxes yearly? I don't keep up with tax code so...

It depends on lots of things. Atleast count 1/3 of your money out in taxes as a good average. But if you're a homeowner, have kids, paying interest on loans, that can help out with your taxes. Tahts' why people hire accountants because they know all the tax breaks you can get. A good accountant is worth their weight in gold.

Q, DO