Doctors with tattoos lol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Supreme28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a tattoo of a daisy in representation of my mother on the crease of my forearm and bicep. Tell me your thoughts about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That's perfectly fine? Lol. You'll be wearing a suit during interviews anyway.

As long as they don't go beyond your cuffs and collar, who will know?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a tattoo of a daisy in representation of my mother on the crease of my forearm and bicep. Tell me your thoughts about this.

That is fine IMO. As long as it's able to be covered up while working

As long as it's not visible while in your work clothes, not an issue. You can still maintain a professional appearance.

3 of the docs at the ER I used to scribe at had tattoos (of course there could have been more). Of those 1 was either a poland or carib medical school grad, 2 were US MD grads. All 3 of them were some of the coolest people ever, and 1 wrote me a great LOR for this cycle. He had a tribal full arm tattoo btw. Total bada$$.

Reactions: 4 users
I have tattoos that would be clearly visible without a white coat or sweater. I don't see it being an issue since I'm covering them anyways. They'll be visible when I'm in scrubs but it'll be fine.

One of my classmates has a pretty large tattoo (probably 4 in x 3 in) on his bicep from when he was a volunteer firefighter. It obviously wasn't visible in professional dress but was clearly visible when wearing scrubs. He said people would frequently ask about it and that, from his perspective, it was generally a negative thing to have.

Take that for what you will, but in terms of having one in a clinical setting it won't matter all that much. Just keep in mind some hospitals have pretty extensive policies regarding tattoos that might require you to wear things like long sleeves in order to cover them.

Reactions: 3 users
You only have the one (and it would be expensive for it to be removed/has sentimental value) so no sense in stressing, but I would caution you not to get anymore. Regardless, of what most on sdn would like to believe medicine is still quite a conservative profession and many of your patients will be elderly. Coming from the baby boomer age they may have doubts about your abilities if they see you sporting tattoos. I would say many of the other workers in a hospital reporting to you would also have questions. Source: Father, and cousin both physicians. I asked them because I was curious about this myself.

You're not going to be wearing a muscle shirt while examining patients. As long as the tattoo is not on your neck, hand/forearm, or maybe ankle, you can get as many tattoos as you want and not worry that much about prejudice. For the times you're wearing scrubs, you can easily cover it up with a 3/4 sleeve or long sleeve shirt underneath if you're required to cover it outside of the OR. But upper arm/delt, shoulder, back, leg etc? Go for it.

It's totally fine, as long as you're a douchey surgeon.

the-todd-approves-meme-generator-the-todd-approves-435324.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not like our opinions will change the tattoo that you already haveo_O

Reactions: 1 users
You're not going to be wearing a muscle shirt while examining patients. As long as the tattoo is not on your neck, hand/forearm, or maybe ankle, you can get as many tattoos as you want and not worry that much about prejudice. For the times you're wearing scrubs, you can easily cover it up with a 3/4 sleeve or long sleeve shirt underneath if you're really worried about it or required to cover it. But upper arm/delt, shoulder, back, leg etc? Go for it.

Awesome girl in my class has full sleeves. They look awesome. They're definitely a little more risky, but ultimately, few people care these days.

I have a tattoo on my forearm (see profile pic) and a huge back piece. I've been a clinical research analyst for many years, and honestly, I've mostly heard complementary things about my visible tattoo. Not even chiars of departments have been bothered by it. I've had one elderly gentleman express his distaste for my forearm tattoo in the 12 years that I've had it. In my experience, it is far more important to behave like a competent, kind, emotionally stable professional and dress like you mean business. One tasteful tattoo is not a big deal.

The second SDN fireside chat (look up on YouTube) addressed this. The one guy said he just plans to wear UnderArmour with his scrubs.

The second SDN fireside chat (look up on YouTube) addressed this. The one guy said he just plans to wear UnderArmour with his scrubs.

And what exactly would that cover? You can't wear long sleeves in the OR. You can really only wear a t-shirt underneath the scrub top, and that doesn't provide any more coverage than the scrub top already does.

Lol I don't have any tattoos or plan on getting any so I didn't think past it, was just mentioning what I've seen.

Idk i'd have to see it . But from what you describe, not really optimistic. A flower tattoo sounds pretty gay regardless of the story.

If i were you i'd offset it with some sleeves. Tribals are always badass, and maybe a quote on your pec.

Idk i'd have to see it . But from what you describe, not really optimistic. A flower tattoo sounds pretty gay regardless of the story.

If i were you i'd offset it with some sleeves. Tribals are always badass, and maybe a quote on your pec.
Its not necessary to insult the OP in making your comment nor to use a phrase which is offensive to a certain segment of society. Please keep your comments professional.

Reactions: 8 users
If it not necessary to insult the OP in making your comment nor to use a phrase which is offensive to a certain segment of society. Please keep your comments professional.
He asked for our opinions on the tattoo. What good would it be if everyone just told it was alright? I'm trying to contribute to a diverse feedback and promote the discussion on sDn

He asked for our opinions on the tattoo. What good would it be if everyone just told it was alright? I'm trying to contribute to a diverse feedback and promote the discussion on sDn
Dissenting opinions are fine. No where in my comment did I say you weren't allowed to give an opinion, dissenting or otherwise.

Please re-read your response and see if you don't see what's offensive about it. My 14 year old nephew was able to maturely see what we meant when we had a talk with him about using that phrase; I'm sure you can as well.

Reactions: 8 users
Maybe off topic, but two most bad ass guy friends of mine have tons of tattoos. One has lots of them on his biceps--former marine, now attending one of the HYPS med schools. Another is practically covered in tattoos which are all over his arms extending down to his wrists-- a former army medic, the most caring, professional and hard working individual I have come to known of. He's "the best guy ever" among his friends and a departmental super star. I have no doubt that he's going to be one hell of a trauma surgeon. I really think their tattoos only add to their bad ass characters.
I personally thought about getting a tattoo in memory of my most beloved dog. I haven't gotten it yet only because I couldn't decide upon the design. I felt like if I got one it would have helped me dealing with the lost a little better with the feeling that she's still with me in someway. If others (EDIT: who happen to see it under nonprofessional setting) think that it's silly to have a paw print tattoo or (a daisy in your case), then...nothing. Don't care.
Although I would definitely cover it up in whatever ways I am required to while working in the hospital. It's probably a safe bet to do that during interview. It seemed to be a golden rule to "not stand out appearance wise" during the interview.

Last edited:
Maybe off topic, but two most bad ass guy friends of mine have tons of tattoos. One has lots of them on his biceps--former marine, now attending one of the HYPS med schools. Another is practically covered in tattoos which are all over his arms extending down to his wrists-- a former army medic, the most caring, professional and hard working individual I have come to known of. He's "the best guy ever" among his friends and a departmental super star. I have no doubt that he's going to be one hell of a trauma surgeon. I really think their tattoos only add to their bad ass characters.
I personally thought about getting a tattoo in memory of my most beloved dog. I haven't gotten it yet only because I couldn't decide upon the design. I felt like if I got one it would have helped me dealing with the lost a little better with the feeling that she's still with me in someway. If others think that it's silly to have a paw print tattoo or (a daisy in your case), then....I guess I won't care...I would definitely cover it up in whatever ways I am required to while working in the hospital/during interview.

Oh yeah cause people really want their doctors to be "bad ass".

The hospital I volunteer for doesn't hire doctors (or anyone for that matter, including volunteers) who have visible tattoos, no exceptions.

Oh yeah cause people really want their doctors to be "bad ass".

The hospital I volunteer for doesn't hire doctors (or anyone for that matter, including volunteers) who have visible tattoos, no exceptions.
They were hardworking, brilliant human beings with humorous and interesting characters. That's what I mean by jokingly referring them to as "bad ass". I guess you might interpret it a little differently. They were perfectly gentlemen, just extraordinary.

The key is "visible". As long as they follow the rules of the hospital and cover it up while working, then I highly doubt that the hospitals will have a problem. it's not like they will be required to strip down during job interviews.

Last edited:
You don't want your doctor to be hardworking, brilliant and amazing human beings with humorous and interesting characters? Your lost.

That's not the point. Of course we want all those things; it's just rather than focus in those characteristics, you described them as "bad ass". Twice.

The key is "visible". As long as they follow the rules of the hospital and cover it up while working, then I highly doubt that the hospitals will have a problem. it's not like they will be required to strip down during job interviews.

You described one as having tattoos "down to his wrists" and that he wants to be a trauma surgeon. His tattoos will therefore be visible in scrubs.

Like the poster above, I also have hospital privileges at places that ban visible tattoos, even for surgeons

That's not the point. Of course we want all those things; it's just rather than focus in those characteristics, you described them as "bad ass". Twice.

You described one as having tattoos "down to his wrists" and that he wants to be a trauma surgeon. His tattoos will therefore be visible in scrubs.

Like the poster above, I also have hospital privileges at places that ban visible tattoos, even for surgeons
Sorry you posted it before I explained myself further. Please refer to the post-edited post. I guess being non-native speaker, I thought "bad ass" had a more positive connotation then what it probably really does.
It necessary, I'm sure he'll wear something under it to cover it up. Worst case, he'll just find a different hospital to work at. And he always have the military hospital to fall back on I guess.

I also think that you're not allowed to wear anything under scrubs at some places, especially if they protrude past the scrubs.

This is keeping me from getting visible tattoos, to be honest.

Last edited:
I have a tattoo on my hand, a ring. It is unobtrusive, and when anyone does ask, no one has been offended by it. If anyone was going to deny me an opportunity over something so superficial, then they are probably doing me a favor. Everything else is covered by professional clothing, though there is a forearm tattoo that shows in scrubs.

On a per diem job I worked, I was asked to wrap it with a bandage. I did that for the day, but explained when they begged me to come back and help again that I wasn't interested and why. That seemed to make a point, since the next time they called a couple weeks later they told me that the policy had been changed.

I have a tattoo on my hand, a ring. It is unobtrusive, and when anyone does ask, no one has been offended by it. If anyone was going to deny me an opportunity over something so superficial, then they are probably doing me a favor. Everything else is covered by professional clothing, though there is a forearm tattoo that shows in scrubs.

On a per diem job I worked, I was asked to wrap it with a bandage. I did that for the day, but explained when they begged me to come back and help again that I wasn't interested and why. That seemed to make a point, since the next time they called a couple weeks later they told me that the policy had been changed.

Yeah that's not going to fly in clinical years, especially on pediatric services when the parents can be considerably more judgmental of who is providing care. I'm on peds now and in addition to visible tattoos being explicitly prohibited, we are also prohibited from having unnatural colors of hair, excessive jewelry, or excessive makeup. Call it unfair, but prepare to perhaps cover up the hand tattoo and definitely the forearm tattoo if the policy says so. You're not going to change hospital policy.

Reactions: 2 users
just because some girl posters on here have crushes on dudes with tats doesn't make them any less trashy, ******ed and unprofessional. also lol at mods getting uppity at using 'gay' as an insult.

You know what they say about opinions and about what else people that have them have, right?

Also, are you that vain that you think people get them only to impress the other sex? How old are you? Like 16? Jeez, I forget that there are so many kids in college on this site too when I have to stop and wonder why people are so bloody immature.

Mine's on my back and I honestly forget I have it most of the time...

I'm glad you got one place to change their policy, but I don't know of your experiences in the medical field however it's one that is very bureaucratic and I doubt you'll be able to make anything change so easily especially when patients complain about such things.

Edit: @Ismet beat me to it.

Also, are you that vain that you think people get them only to impress the other sex? How old are you? Like 16? Jeez, I forget that there are so many kids in college on this site too when I have to stop and wonder why people are so bloody immature.

The majority of things people do is to impress the other sex.

This is correct. Many institutions ban visible tattoos.

Whether it's fair or not is totally irrelevant. It's the way things are, and it's not changing anytime soon.

Maybe if you're still in high school.

Ha, whatever you say. I won't get into an argument here.

Whether it's subconscious or denial, I assure you that many people still do things to impress the other sex (or same if you swing that way).

But I guess people get boob jobs, luxury cars, hair plugs, and wear tons of make up because they just "want to feel good about themselves."

Dunno dude. Mine is covered by a shirt and isn't visible at all. I don't think you have one, but getting a tattoo on your spine/ribs/etc is a really painful way to spend 3-4 hrs just to potentially impress someone.

Is that also your rationale for applying to med school? I'm not sure how old you are, but one of the best lessons I've learned is that people find all sorts of reason to be grouchy and if you start doing things because they make you happy (and are relatively reasonable), then you'll be all the better for it. What's more is that you'll find yourself in company of people whom you genuinely want to be around.

just because some girl posters on here have crushes on dudes with tats doesn't make them any less trashy, ******ed and unprofessional. also lol at mods getting uppity at using 'gay' as an insult.
Son, you have a lot of growing up to do. Making assumptions and insulting people you have never met here before based on a third party comment is not going to serve you well in life. Your bitterness will consume yourself more than other people. If you have never met people with whom you can trust your life with, then you need to live life a little more and start to make new friends. Both of the guys you are referring to have solid up brings, each fought two wars, their academic achievements and personal characters win the admiration of their friends, professors and deans alike.
Oh yeah, thanks for the compliment for assuming that it is appropriate to call me "some girl". As someone who's probably old enough to be your mother, really, thank you.

Son, you have a lot of growing up to do. Making assumptions and insulting people you have never met here before based on a third party comment is not going to serve you well in life. Your bitterness will consume yourself more than other people. If you have never met people with whom you can trust your life with, then you need to live life a little more and start to make new friends. Both of the guys you are referring to have solid up brings, each fought two wars, their academic achievements and personal characters win the admiration of their friends, professors and deans alike.
Oh yeah, thanks for the compliment for assuming that it is appropriate to call me "some girl". As someone who's probably old enough to be your mother, really, thank you.
:troll:

Ha, whatever you say. I won't get into an argument here.

Whether it's subconscious or denial, I assure you that many people still do things to impress the other sex (or same if you swing that way).

But I guess people get boob jobs, luxury cars, hair plugs, and wear tons of make up because they just "want to feel good about themselves."
Some people got it because it's the culture of their immediate environment. Both of my friends got them while they were in the military. They each fought two wars and my medic friend was a super star and saved a lot of lives. No offense, if it's hard for you to imagine that people do things other than to impress the other sex, maybe you should take a moment and wonder if impressing the other sex is only reason that YOU choose to do certain things.

Some people got it because it's the culture of their immediate environment. Both of my friends got them while they were in the military. No offense, if it's hard for you to imagine that people do things other than to impress the other sex, maybe you should take a moment and wonder if impressing the other sex is only reason that YOU choose to do certain things.

Sure, some people do get tats for other reasons. There's always exceptions to everything.

But the majority of other people do things for attention, and usually from the opposite sex. If it's hard for you to imagine that, then you're either in denial or incredibly naive.

Ellul my banned comrade! How thou has fallen at the hands of the mods! Why, o why ellul, did you anger them so?

Sure, some people do get tats for other reasons. There's always exceptions to everything.

But the majority of other people do things for attention, and usually from the opposite sex. If it's hard for you to imagine that, then you're either in denial or incredibly naive.
Maybe it is true that the majority of the people are vein. It's a big maybe. here you see people who have tattoos in memory of his mother, if I get one, it would be in memory of my dog. Even tattoos that are done for aesthetic reasons only can be a mixture of desire to impress and a desire to express oneself. Besides, what's wrong with doing things to impress the other sex? You just have to be smart about it and make sure you do something effective to impress the right kind of people. I loooooove impress guys with my cooking skill and I love to be impressed by the right type of guys.
Lastly, I would not automatically assume people to be vein until proven otherwise. To make generalizing and negative statements aren't my thing, if that's what you call naive, so be it.