Doctors Without Borders - "must go alone" requirement and alternative programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spin

me right round baby
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd really like to do DWB someday, but it says on their FAQ that you have to go by yourself. What's an international-medicine-loving couple of married doctors supposed to do? Spend 9 months apart? That seems ridiculous, especially since I'm sure that many medically-needy sites could use more than one doctor at a time.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Are there any similar programs that would let significant others stay together during their time abroad? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I'd really like to do DWB someday, but it says on their FAQ that you have to go by yourself. What's an international-medicine-loving couple of married doctors supposed to do? Spend 9 months apart? That seems ridiculous, especially since I'm sure that many medically-needy sites could use more than one doctor at a time.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Are there any similar programs that would let significant others stay together during their time abroad? :confused:

It's not like they have thousands of doctors willing to sacrifice a whole year's worth of salary to go work in thew field, and at least the upped the pay to $1400/month from $1000/month a couple years back. If you or your wife are one of the specialties that they are in need of specifically they will make accommodations. They have a 1 year minimum policy, but I have heard that when they are in desperate need (which is often) they will take on physicians who are only willing to commit to 6 months. I heard it from a DWB speaker at a DWB presentation. In order to have that question answered honestly you should go to one of their information sessions. I respect the fact that unlike PeaceCorp in the info sessions they are truthful (at least to some extent) about the unfortunate scenarios that can and have occurred to field volunteers. And they'll tell you the truth about how lenient you can get them to be. Remember, even though they have the appearance of selective volunteer program, its still YOU they need. And two doctors is better than none.

But you have to have been a working physician (not resident) for a couple years before they'll take you. Who knows if by then the idea of going off to a war torn zone with your wife and offering your services while your student loan debt accumulates may not sound that enticing. You'll just have to see how you really feel about it once you are done with residency. Most residents are so fed up with the meager pay and long hours, that they long for the day they are not residents and can cash in on their rightly deserved $200K. Most med students who enter med school because they want to help underserved areas and war torn countries dont ever end up doing it because reality sets in and you get jaded. Let's see how willing you will be to do this after youve spent 2 years in preclinical classes busting your ass, then another 2 years on rotations where you may or may not bust your ass, and then another 4 years being worked beyond the point of exhaustion, where your days off are so you can sleep before you're next shift....you'll just have to see if by then you really want to do it...and if you are married now, the odds of your having kids or your wife being pregnant by then are pretty high, making the idealistic scenario of going to work in DWB less likely of a reality.

Last edited:
From their FAQ
  • At least 2 years of relevant professional experience
    For physicians, completion of residency satisfies this requirement

Members don't see this ad :)
MSF used to have federal loan deferment during service, like the Peace Corps. Maybe it still does.

MSF used to have federal loan deferment during service, like the Peace Corps. Maybe it still does.

I think the Fedloans site does mention MSF as an acceptable reason for deferment. Of course they will be happy to do so as you get additional interest.

All from MSF-USA's website:

Stipend: "MSF salaries are set so as to reflect the humanitarian spirit of volunteerism while recognizing the high level of professional expertise provided by field staff. Starting gross monthly salary is
approximately $1,731, with subsequent increases based on expertise and experience. "

Couples: "Can couples go on mission together?
No. All posts for first-time field staff are unaccompanied. [emphasis mine] Most mission locations do not allow for friends or family members to visit volunteers. Accompanied posts may be offered to experienced MSF staff, depending on field needs."

Benefits: "
Benefits include: ...Letter of support for student loan deferment". I also thought I'd heard that starting with your second mission, they would pay the INTEREST on your loans too, but I'm not immediately finding that online right now and it may have been in an info session.

There are hundreds to thousands of other opportunities if their requirements don't work for you, depending on what exactly you are looking for. The book "A Practical Guide to Global Health Service" has many of them, tons more online...

Reactions: 1 user
I can't imagine getting so much time off work.

They are all sorts of groups in most any bigger city, especially if there's a med school, that do medical missions for a few weeks. You'd be responsible for travel, but probably not lodging and food. You could meet some of your local colleagues and probably do some teaching. Your SO could come along too.

This documentary definitely changed any idea I ever had of volunteering with MSF:
Living in Emergency | MSF USA - Doctors Without Borders

Most of the areas that you are deployed to are experiencing SIGNIFICANT military conflict. I think in many instances it would be safer to go overseas with the military as a provider. If your interest is providing medical care abroad there are many ways to do this. My impression is that MSF is for folks that really want to go to dangerous areas where no one else will with the understanding that you may not return...

Most of the areas that you are deployed to are experiencing SIGNIFICANT military conflict... My impression is that MSF is for folks that really want to go to dangerous areas where no one else will with the understanding that you may not return...

That's kind of the entire point. Was that somehow unclear before seeing the film?
MSF is definitely not just your average overseas clinical volunteering. There are tons of ways to do that. There are also alternatives to MSF that also provide care in conflict situations. (e.g. Emergency, started in Italy : http://www.emergency.it/history.html)
MSF pays a great deal of attention to security, but they primarily work in pretty intense settings where you can't 100% guarantee safety, sure.
You could go with the military instead, but then you'd kind of be part of the problem (i.e. working for a military system when lots of what MSF does is deal with the after-effects of military conflict.)

Other, tamer alternatives include the Peace Corps, which in the last couple of years has opened a volunteer branch in several countries sub-Saharan Africa in a capacity-building role, where you can help train the trainers more or less and help establish residency programs.

e.g. :
http://www.peacecorps.gov/volunteer/globalhealth/
https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWEbHo...hysician&utm_source=homepg&utm_medium=website