Doctors Without Borders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience working as a pharmacist for Doctors Without Borders? Can I choose where to go if I am hired by them?

Asides from humanitarian reasons, I think it would be a pretty awesome thing to have on a resume/CV. I called them today to ask if I can go to Gaza but they told me I have to go through the whole application/interview process which could take months.

As for job security, the pharmacy where I work full-time is owned by a Palestinian dude so I'm pretty sure he'd be cool with it and would let me start where I left off if I decide to go.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That's interesting. I never knew about pharmacists doing anything in doctors without borders. I went to a few PHR meetings while I was on rotations, but I was the only pharmacy student present amongst nurses, med students, doctors, public health students, anthropologists

Members don't see this ad :)
I have spent a lot of time looking into this. I know one person who did it. They were in Malawi for 9 months.

Basically you get about $1500 a month, stipend in local currency, and room and board and travel. I believe they offer you an assignment - you either take it or deny it. But if you deny more than 1 or 2, you are off their list (I am not 100% on this). I have done medical mission work, I definitely some personal satisfaction out of it, but wanted "more" than just acute clinic work - I compared it akin to putting a bandaid on a amputated leg - just a baby step. I yeared for more of an impact.

After my divorce I was getting all set up to apply (only thing is it would have forced me into foreclosure because I had a huge house payment (stupid purchase that took me to long to sell). Once the house was going to be sold, I was gonna sign up. Then I met my now fiance, and felt I couldn't just ditch her for this. I will definitely do more mission trips in the future.

My advice, GO FOR IT, you will NOT regret it one bit.

I have spent a lot of time looking into this. I know one person who did it. They were in Malawi for 9 months.

Basically you get about $1500 a month, stipend in local currency, and room and board and travel. I believe they offer you an assignment - you either take it or deny it. But if you deny more than 1 or 2, you are off their list (I am not 100% on this). I have done medical mission work, I definitely some personal satisfaction out of it, but wanted "more" than just acute clinic work - I compared it akin to putting a bandaid on a amputated leg - just a baby step. I yeared for more of an impact.

After my divorce I was getting all set up to apply (only thing is it would have forced me into foreclosure because I had a huge house payment (stupid purchase that took me to long to sell). Once the house was going to be sold, I was gonna sign up. Then I met my now fiance, and felt I couldn't just ditch her for this. I will definitely do more mission trips in the future.

My advice, GO FOR IT, you will NOT regret it one bit.

See I wanna do it, but there are only a few areas I'm willing to go to. I'd be cool with going to the Middle East (especifically Gaza), I'd be cool with going to South America (south part of it), I'd be cool with going into Eastern Europe. Not really interested in going to Asia or Africa.

TOTE="Sparda29, post: 15538593, member: 195842"]See I wanna do it, but there are only a few areas I'm willing to go to. I'd be cool with going to the Middle East (especifically Gaza), I'd be cool with going to South America (south part of it), I'd be cool with going into Eastern Europe. Not really interested in going to Asia or Africa.[/QUOTE]
You are opposite of me. The " I hate us for supporting Israel" scares me. I do want to o go to Africa and the safari interest me. I want to visit the middle East from the historical aspect but only if I go with my palestian friends.