Does a DO with a 250+ need to take the USMLE step 2 for psych programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockyBalboa 007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I absolutely loved my psych rotation, hence I am sincerely considering doing a Psych residency.

1. Can anyone give me some input on whether or not I need to take USMLE step 2 to match a psych spot (preferably in chicago) if I have a 250+ on step 1?

2. Also, if anyone could give me any input on the specifics of Advocate Lutheran's psych program vs. UIC chicago campus psych vs Rush psych vs UChicago psych vs Northwestern psych vs Loyola psych, I would really really appreciate that since I am figuring out which ones to do SubInternships at.

Thanking in anticipation,
Rocky Balboa 007

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need step 2. Save your money, youll match at your number 1 with that score.

I know nothing about those programs though

Ask on the psych forums boss. From what I've heard, you should take Step 2. And there will be programs that won't give any D.O.'s a bite regardless of your scores (e.g. Columbia, Mclean, NYU). Not sure how it goes down in Chicago, but there are a few places in NYC where any D.O. has ZERO shot.

Anyhow, I think there is already a solid thread somewhere in the psych forums that breaks down the different Chicago programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Give them less reasons to pass over your application. Take your Step 2 and do well in it

Reactions: 1 user
Hello again,
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

1. I am pretty desperate for a Chicago psych spot because I really want to be close to my family. I would hence be very glad and thankful for any chicago psych spot (I personally have absolutely no preference which one in particular). I would like the psych residents/attendings to give me information about how I can guarantee myself a spot with advocate lutheran general's psych program or rosaland franklin's psych program (especially since both of these programs don't offer subinternships). Do those 2 programs put great emphasis on step 2?

2. I am requesting the sdn moderators to please move this thread to the psychiatry forums.

I just now read advocate lutheran's website and in the FAQ's it says:

"For DO students, our program considers the COMLEX sufficient, so you do not need to take both COMLEX and USMLE." So, I guess they don't put great emphasis on step 2 as long as my level 2 is good.

Last edited:
Just now I also found this:
http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/Por...hiatry/Residency Application Requirements.pdf

I think rosaland franklin does want to see a passing step 2 ck because it says:

"USMLE Scores Requirements
A score of 190 or higher for both Step 1 and Step 2 (CK) within 2 attempts, and
a passing score on Step 2 (CS), with a preference for applicants who have
passed both steps on the first attempt."

So as long as I take it and get a 230ish (my current NBME step 2 ck score range), I should be fine.

Looking forward to hearing from psych residents/attendings about how I can maximize my chances for a chicago psych spot in general and for these 2 programs (advocate lutheran and rosaland franklin), in particular.

Actually yea, you are obviously a good test taker, why not just suck it up and take it.

In all likelihood you will crush it and it will make you a better applicant

Ask on the psych forums boss. From what I've heard, you should take Step 2

You don't even need Step 1 for most psych programs. I don't know about the ones in Chicago specifically, but most programs do not require Step 1 and I don't know of a single psych program that requires Step 2 for DOs. As long as you take Level 2, you'll be fine for most programs. Again, I know nothing about Chicago programs.

1. I am pretty desperate for a Chicago psych spot because I really want to be close to my family. I would hence be very glad and thankful for any chicago psych spot (I personally have absolutely no preference which one in particular). I would like the psych residents/attendings to give me information about how I can guarantee myself a spot with advocate lutheran general's psych program or rosaland franklin's psych program (especially since both of these programs don't offer subinternships). Do those 2 programs put great emphasis on step 2?

You need to go to the psych forum. And no one can guarantee you anything when it comes to the match. If someone tries, that's a sign that they're lying.

I would be careful with this. There are an increasing number of programs every year requiring Step 2 passes in order to rank you

I think there's some confusion here. Yes, programs are requiring the second part of the boards to rank applicants, but in psych and many other specialties, it does not have to be Step 2. COMLEX Level 2 is sufficient.

There are a limited number of programs. Why don't you e-mail the program directors and find out.

Emailing them is a good suggestion. I think I will shoot them all emails in the very near future (specially advocate lutheran general).

Emailing them is a good suggestion. I think I will shoot them all emails in the very near future (specially advocate lutheran general).

This is probably your best bet. You are in the nearly the EXACT place I was one year ago, same score, same specialty, different locations. I skipped Step 2 figuring a solid COMLEX and Step 1 USMLE was enough. I'm kind of kicking myself for it now as I'm waiting on the match. If I had to do it again I'd take it just so I had the peace of mind knowing I did everything I could.

Of course if a PD tells you don't bother that's a different story.

I am getting a very strong vibe that most programs just want me to pass Step 2 and won't be looking at the absolute number. Nonetheless, I have given myself 3ish months of study time (taking a chill 3rd yr elective, radio, as my last 3rd yr rotation, followed by 1 month of school allotted board prep time, followed by 4 weeks of flex time) for Step 2 and shall try my best to crush step 2 just to be safe.

I am getting a very strong vibe that most programs just want me to pass Step 2 and won't be looking at the absolute number. Nonetheless, I have given myself 3ish months of study time (taking a chill 3rd yr elective, radio, as my last 3rd yr rotation, followed by 1 month of school allotted board prep time, followed by 4 weeks of flex time) for Step 2 and shall try my best to crush step 2 just to be safe.

If you have that much time to study you should probably do it.