PhD Does a low UG GPA matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evalucard

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spent five years in medical school in my country and earned a Bachelor of Medicine, and did my MPH in Biostatistics in US. I am applying to PhD programs in Epidemiology but I found my undergraduate GPA ridiculously low after having it WES (an agency that evaluates foreign transcripts) evaluated. The GPA turned out to be 2.72. WES just cut off all the practice courses and some other courses (worth more than 50 credit hours) and even comprehensive exams. Meanwhile, my MPH GPA is about 4 and I got both verbal and quant over 75% in GRE. I am wondering if my application will be automatically "screening out" without even being looked at by the schools because of the awkward UG GPA, or if it will make the committee think that I am "******" or even "dishonest in MPH program and GRE" (glad they don't need to worry about the authenticity of the UG transcript).....I have no idea what to do with it. How do I address it in my SoP? Anyone has advice?

Members don't see this ad.

i think the admission office will notice that you got the BM from a non-US university. My best suggestion (as a fellow international student applying PhD this year) is to contact the programs you are interested in and explain / ask them directly the questions you have here. Good luck!