Does age matter for hematology/oncology fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notcool

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A question from an older friend not on SDN (although I'm also interested in oncology):

Practically speaking, assuming an otherwise decent application (e.g., good mid-tier IM program, good LORs, perhaps working on some research), will older age (40 years old as an IM resident) matter for getting accepted by a hematology and oncology fellowship including community based programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure it will to a minor regard for a few programs. But otherwise, I wouldn't think so. Its not a fellowship that will kill you in regards to hours so I would think your buddy will be fine.

I'm sure it will to a minor regard for a few programs. But otherwise, I wouldn't think so. Its not a fellowship that will kill you in regards to hours so I would think your buddy will be fine.

That depends on volume of Heme/Onc pts. that you have. I imagine that the emotional burden is huge with these patients, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since I'm actually an oncologist who sits on a fellowship admissions committee, I'll answer.

Not really. If you can do the work, you can have the job. The top academic places might pass because they like to pretend that they train academicians who will run labs and get R01s in the future (even though that's probably 10-20% of all fellows at the most), they like the young-uns.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to ensure a career in primary care or hospitalist medicine then yes, by all means, tell PDs you have no interest in research.

It's a stupid game but if you don't play it you can't win it.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to ensure a career in primary care or hospitalist medicine then yes, by all means, tell PDs you have no interest in research.

It's a stupid game but if you don't play it you can't win it.

Another follow up question, Is it OK to be honest and tell the programs that you are not interested in basic science research and running a lab is definitely not one of your career goals (giving the you show clinical research interest)? would the top programs be upset about that ?

Another follow up question, Is it OK to be honest and tell the programs that you are not interested in basic science research and running a lab is definitely not one of your career goals (giving the you show clinical research interest)? would the top programs be upset about that ?
Look...it's simple. Make up a believable story about your interest in some kind of research and have something in your CV to back it up. Get through the interview day with a smile on your face. The end.

Reactions: 1 users
In english: Just. Lie.