Does AMCAS ever change the designation of a PHYS/CHEM/BIOL/MATH class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDoIt4Love

Breathe...just believe.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is simple: does AMCAS ever change the BCPM designation/status of a class that your university classifies as BIOL, CHEM, PHYS or MATH?

I'm wondering because I'm considering taking a class called "Changing Views of the Universe," which is designated as physics at my university, but I'm worried AMCAS might change it to philosophy or something.

Members don't see this ad.

My question is simple: does AMCAS ever change the BCPM designation/status of a class that your university classifies as BIOL, CHEM, PHYS or MATH?

I'm wondering because I'm considering taking a class called "Changing Views of the Universe," which is designated as physics at my university, but I'm worried AMCAS might change it to philosophy or something.

Yes, if they feel that its classified incorrectly then they will change it. If they do end up changing your class, and you dont agree, you can always petition.

Depending on how you label the courses on AMCAS, (e.g. according to transcript, full course title, or simply course number) you can sometimes force AMCAS to accept your designations.

For example, instead of calling the course "Changing views of the universe" you can call it "PHY 106" or whatever it is.

I don't know if you're allowed to just write the course name down as "PHYS 250..." I think AMCAS asks you to write the name as it appears on your transcript.

Anybody else know if AMCAS changes course designations for classes that are already titled PHYS MATH CHEM or BIOL to begin with?