Does an Extended Undergrad Look Bad in Comparison to Graduating with a Low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBelle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this a few months back

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-at-a-different-school.1211634/#post-17949029

I am having another strong semester as a visiting student. I am applying to this highly regarded private school for a 2nd BA and am thinking I just keep putting off graduation until I get into that school. I've reviewed my app with admissions and because of their unique program for non-trads I have a good chance if I apply for next Fall. But you never know and I might have to try again.

The facts are I need another 2-3 years full time of undergrad. I am fine with that. I just worry if I graduate with my current gpa from my current university, I will be in a position where as someone with a degree where I can't get classes I need or even get into another good school in the mean time for a DIY.

I would think staying at my school is the best decision until another door is open but since I have been going there on and off so long, I wonder if this is just another one of those things I did not realize looks bad to adcoms.

I'm not married, I don't have kids, and I'm a nurse now. I figured going all in like a traditional student would be my best bet. Please tell me if I'm making as much sense out loud to you guys as I do in my own head?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There is very little you can do to legitimately explain away a low GPA; conversely, you can make many solid points about not taking 20 hrs per semester if you're a non traditional. MCAT/GPA, then worry about everything else. Now, if you are legit just chillin' like a villain and taking 6 hrs and have nothing else to do well then that's going to look bad :D