Does anybody else worry about this or is it just me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does anybody else worry about this or is it just me?

• I'm cool

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • I'm awesome

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
D

deleted662474

Dentistry is one of my choices after undergrad, but I wanted to know if anybody else worries about getting injured, whether it's the hand, back, neck, etc and not be able to practice for some time. One of my favorite hobbies is natural bodybuilding. I love lifting weights and the way it makes me feel, so I don't see myself quitting it just so I can practice dentistry. Also, I've noticed that whenever I get really nervous, my hands start to shake. I know this is probably really bad for dentistry, but I wanted to know what you guys think and if any of you also have the same problem. And doesn't hand shaking get worse the more older you get? I just want to make sure that before I go the dental school that I'll be able to practice for a long time (30-35 years). Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
You'll adjust. Just be easy with the caffeine supplements if you're taking any. And I'd start on a joint supplement if you are going to the gym. I'd go as far to recommend wrist wraps. I injured my wrist 2 years ago doing preacher curls. Didn't help that I had extremely small wrists for my age and height. Its a lot better than it use to be but aches sometimes during the rain season.

Reactions: 1 user
Dude you're fine with bodybuilding. Just lay off the pre-workout/ caffeine and any other supplements you're own.

Personally I'll prolly be laying off exercises that mess with the lower back (squats, dead-lifts, BB rows). Dentistry does a number on the lower back and you don't need weights to contribute, but this is all PERSONAL PREFERENCE. Just saying though risk reward. Squats, deadlifts, BB rows, Standing Shoulder press, etc... (anyone that might mess up the back) is prolly not worth it.

And as far as the wrist injury goes, don't move your wrist while lifting weights. Bang no more wrist problems.

Do you think they'll really be that much time for BB in d school. If so what is your regiment going to be?

I mean I'm assuming theres going to be no time and I'm just going to be running, doing shoulder press, pull/chin ups and dips. So cardio, SP, and body weight. No big lifts, no isolation, and nothing that might mess up the lower back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude you're fine with bodybuilding. Just lay off the pre-workout/ caffeine and any other supplements you're own.

Personally I'll prolly be laying off exercises that mess with the lower back (squats, dead-lifts, BB rows). Dentistry does a number on the lower back and you don't need weights to contribute, but this is all PERSONAL PREFERENCE. Just saying though risk reward. Squats, deadlifts, BB rows, Standing Shoulder press, etc... (anyone that might mess up the back) is prolly not worth it.

And as far as the wrist injury goes, don't move your wrist while lifting weights. Bang no more wrist problems.

Do you think they'll really be that much time for BB in d school. If so what is your regiment going to be?

I mean I'm assuming theres going to be no time and I'm just going to be running, doing shoulder press, pull/chin ups and dips. So cardio, SP, and body weight. No big lifts, no isolation, and nothing that might mess up the lower back.

Usually those exercises help your lower back if you do them right.

Reactions: 7 users
I've thought about all of this too! I love lifting and working out as well, but my favorite activity is playing volleyball. I thought I might have tweaked my shoulder a while ago, but it feels fine now. I don't ever want to stop playing, but I do worry about injuries both immediate and long term. I used to take joint supplements because I used to run a lot, but I fell out of the habit. Maybe it's time again...

Just make sure you protect yourself when you do start your practice and get very good disability insurance. Up to that point, unless you are working, there isn't much you can do financially to protect yourself. Working out and being physically fit is your best protection from injury though.

Reactions: 1 users

I'm just going to wait and see how busy I'll be and then I'll go by feel. If I gotta wake up 1-2 hours early or sleep 1-2 hours later, I'll do it.

Me too man!! Compete in WBFF and going for my pro card this year..

D-school won;t slow me down. I am up at 3am to fit everything in. Meals all prepped. Workout is at 4am. Cardio tonight from 8-9.

I sleep 10pm-3am for what it is worth.

Really focus on your mobility and staying healthy. I get a deep tissue massage once a month. Stretch everyday, etc.

Certain other things can help. PM if you want more personal advice.

Reactions: 1 users

Little silly if you ask me. Rows are the foundation to a strong back. While you are getting fatigued my back, neck and everything else will be in top strength and shape. You can't just forgo these crucial movements.

Here is what i plan during dental school.

Up at 3am per usual, cardio/workout around 330-5. Shower, breakfast, off to class. Rest of my meals will be packed for the day. You don;t have time, you make time. Most of my lifting sessions are only 45mins or so. People waster their time in the gym for hours and hours. Get in, get your workout done and get out. Years of training will terach you how to train effectively. It really is that simple. I will be getting my pro card this year guarantee it and never am in the gym longer than 60mins. I do cardio for general health and have a stepper at my house in case time gets tight.

Diet is a completely different topic but again I have my views and it is a simplistic approach; can touch on it if anyone wants. You can not over complicate things when time is a factor. Preparation is KEY!

Me too man!! Compete in WBFF and going for my pro card this year..

D-school won;t slow me down. I am up at 3am to fit everything in. Meals all prepped. Workout is at 4am. Cardio tonight from 8-9.

I sleep 10pm-3am for what it is worth.

Really focus on your mobility and staying healthy. I get a deep tissue massage once a month. Stretch everyday, etc.

Certain other things can help. PM if you want more personal advice.

I'll PM you tomorrow bud. Thanks for the tips.