Does anyone do psychological autopsies/equivocal death analysis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spydra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so I'm curious how you obtained training...during doctoral study, post doc, ceu's post licensure? What do you like/dislike about conducting them? My intention is not to make this my full time career since that likely isn't possible, but more to gather background knowledge and see how this ends up being a supplement to ones Clinical/Forensic duties.

Members don't see this ad.

Never heard of this...

An Equivocal Death Investigation is an in depth investigation into a death that has lingering questions. Many families have come to us for help in understanding the circumstances surrounding a loved ones death. The manners of death can be classified as any of the following: homicide, suicide, natural, accident or undetermined. Sometimes the family/loved one of the deceased individual does not agree with the final determination and have a yearning for more answers.

Source

That doesn't seem like something a clinical or forensic psychologist would do.

"An Equivocal Death Investigation is an in depth investigation into a death that has lingering questions. Many families have come to us for help in understanding the circumstances surrounding a loved ones death. The manners of death can be classified as any of the following: homicide, suicide, natural, accident or undetermined. Sometimes the family/loved one of the deceased individual does not agree with the final determination and have a yearning for more answers. "

Yes, that sounds like forensic pathology.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The VA does psychological autopsies following suicide. It's pretty commonplace. Usually a multidisciplinary committee, sometimes centered in the Suicide Prevention team/coordinator's area. This is not a pathology question. It's to see if there was a breakdown somewhere in the mental health care process, to see if there is a problem that can be fixed so that it does not happen again.

Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps that's been the problem with my information search, seeing the terms used interchangeably when maybe that isn't very accurate. I did take a look at that link, thanks counselor2b, and am surprised that the training is only 2 days and that it seems to be aimed at Master's level practitioners with no mention of a license being required. I imagine if the VA is doing this sort of thing then they'd prefer a doctoral level practitioner and this might be something that can be incorporated into a practicum. Definitely something to ask about since I'm hoping to get some experience in the VA anyway.

Cause of death is a legal determination performed by pathology. This just reeks of some family in denial for either psychological or financial reasons, spending thousands. The end result isn't going to be pretty.

Cause of death is a legal determination performed by pathology. This just reeks of some family in denial for either psychological or financial reasons, spending thousands. The end result isn't going to be pretty.

This isn't getting at the physical cause of death. In the VA, it's undertaken to see if there was a breakdown in care somewhere, opportunities missed and whatnot. It's not started by the family, it's just an automatic thing that the VA will do when a Vet commits suicide who has had mental health contact.

Reactions: 1 user
I went to a conference a couple years ago where psychological autopsies were discussed. I suppose there could be some merrit for research on suicide. However I also feel that there could be some unintended consequences.

I went to a conference a couple years ago where psychological autopsies were discussed. I suppose there could be some merrit for research on suicide. However I also feel that there could be some unintended consequences.

I think this is what made me curious about them. On the one hand I can see how they're useful as a way to improve mental health care which seems to be why the VA does them, but on the other hand it does seem like this sort of thing could get complicated or be completely misinterpreted. It wouldn't surprise me if insurance companies try to use these with intention of not paying out life insurance policies or if families try to use this information to contest wills and trusts. Regardless of the mental health treatment previously received there would still be a lot of unknowns which would likely make this kind of information difficult to use from a legal standpoint.

The VA does psychological autopsies following suicide. It's pretty commonplace. Usually a multidisciplinary committee, sometimes centered in the Suicide Prevention team/coordinator's area. This is not a pathology question. It's to see if there was a breakdown somewhere in the mental health care process, to see if there is a problem that can be fixed so that it does not happen again.

This process is similar to what happens in some law enforcement agencies after an officer dies by suicide.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

This process is similar to what happens in some law enforcement agencies after an officer dies by suicide.

That makes sense as there has been more attention brought to mental health issues in all branches of law enforcement. Maybe this will lead to additional practicum opportunities working directly with law enforcement or military staff and not just criminals or veterans.