Does anyone ever feel "READY" for the mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cosmic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's so much information on this stupid test. Has anyone ever felt like the truly knew 90% of the material cold? Honestly, it seems like it's impossible.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I felt ready. I knew I had done everything reasonable for me preparation-wise, and I'd done well on the practice tests. The amount of the material felt insurmountable until probably half way through, at which point I started to see it as doable. Probably a couple weeks out from the test I started to feel "ready."

I'm taking it Thursday too! I know the feeling. I'm just gonna do my best...I've studied like a madman so I hope it pays off!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think 'ready' is a subjective term. When I walked in, I did not feel ready. I knew that I had studied all the subjects, took the practice exams, learned from my mistakes, and had a good understanding of the concepts in general.

Just tell yourself that you won't know everything, and there will be questions that you will not know the answer to. This is completely normal. Just prepare yourself until you feel comfortable enough. There's a point that you get to where you feel comfortable enough with the material.

This is all you can do otherwise you'd keep pushing the date back until you were 'ready' enough.

After four months of studying, I was pretty much ready to get it over with. I was consistently scoring 30+ on my practice tests, and I felt like I was getting decreasing returns from additional studying.

So yeah, I felt ready.

I think that I will never feel ready. I'll probably just become so sick of studying for it, that I'll just want to get it over with.

Mine's Thursday and I feel pretty ready. I'm finishing off with AAMC 10 today as my final practice test. I've done well so I guess I'd call myself cautiously confident. Definitely don't want to go in cocky but I know I'll come out with a good score Thurs. OP, just go in and beat this thing like it's a game, because that's really all this entire app process is -- one giant game. Your classes were Round 1. This is Round 2. Then come primaries, secondaries, and the interview. We've got this.

I have my test in 3 weeks and I can say I'm starting to feel ready. I've been studying for over 4+ months and consistently getting decent scores on practice exams. Also, I feel that I've reached the studying saturation point and studying any further is much lower yield relative to 3 months ago. I was a proverbial sponge during the beginning of the studying process. It was cool learning about these subjects in this very unique way and getting used to the MCAT style. Instead, I'm using the next 3 weeks to continually study weaknesses and relaxing. I cannot continuing studying 7-8 hours/day and have since cut my studying time to about 4 hours a day. It's important to get to a point in your schedule where you accept the fact that you will do well on the exam. I know I won't get a 40, but I do know I'm very capable of getting 30+ on the test. Therefore it is highly probable that I will complete the final stage of the jigsaw puzzle we call the pre-med track. It's exciting to think about the endeavor of ending the college experience and transition into the application process and hopefully becoming a medical student. In terms of the test, I honestly have habituated to the MCAT style and find traditional college tests to be elementary and unable to stimulate my brain. As I look over friend's exams to help them with questions that they missed, I realize how easy those questions are. Difficulty is relative. I used to think college exams were tough. I used to/on the verge of finding the MCAT to be easy. Maybe not easy, but certainly doable! So again, you just gotta' chill and trust that your preparation will sufficiently suffice. Good luck!:thumbup:

I never felt "ready".
Someday you're lucky, you get your favorite topics therefore score better.
Someday you're "unlucky", you get the topics you hate =/

You feel ready when you start getting practice scores consistently in the range that you want.

I was ready for the PS/BS, on those sections I felt like there wasn't anything more I could know, the only thing I could never feel ready for was the verbal. My verbal scores varied so much depending on my stress level, types of passages, and other random things that I could never really predict what score I would get.

Even at the last minute, I felt that there was more prep that I could have done, even though I was scoring well on all of my AAMC practice tests. Even with those feelings, if you're prepped well and your practice scores show it, you're more ready than you think you are. I hit my AAMC average dead-on.

MCAT is intimidating but it's mostly bark IMO. Most of the most gnarly passages can be boiled down to something very manageable.

MCAT is intimidating but it's mostly bark IMO. Most of the most gnarly passages can be boiled down to something very manageable.

True, we are only expected to know the basic concepts but I guess most of us freak out when we see tough looking passages from TBR and TPR or Kaplan...

It wasn't so much me feeling ready...more so I just felt like I could not study anymore and had to get the test over with.:smuggrin: