Does anyone have any advice on cleaning up GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Impalalily1224

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very new to this site. In regards to being a member. But I have done a lot of research and read tons of posts. However, I still feel a bit overwhelmed. I always wanted to be a doctor and go to medical school. It has been my life time dream like many of you. I was always a great student. I never had a bad GPA. However that changed rather quickly. During my freshman year of university I was a 3.0 student my Sophmore year my mother was very sick (she was diagnosed with breast cancer) it really affected me. I also had to take over for my mothers work (which is a home business) working over 40 hours a week while being a full time student in order to help keep us a float through the hard times. As a result my GPA that year was horrible I received F's in 2 Bio courses and just really messed up. And had 2 Ws. After that I had a 2.2GPA. I worked really hard after that to repair and graduated with a 2.6GPA overall. I was depressed and I cried a lot. I am a first generation student I am doing the best I can to navagate through this. I recently enrolled in a non-traditional post-bacc program for three years. I know I have what it takes and I am in a good place to stay focused fully without working such hard hours or being exposed to too much distractions. I know that I can get A's in all my courses. I have very great study habits. My question is do I still have a chance to apply to a MD schools like University of Maryland MS or UC Davis MS....etc.? Please help me . Thank you so much for your time.

P.S. My mom totally kicked cancers butt and she is completely cancer free now. I am so proud of her :).
Sorry for the lengthy post

If you have any tips or tricks to give in order to be an awesome post-bacc student it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Oh and one of those W's I retook and received an A.

* I worked over or about 50-60 hours a weeks sorry for the mistake

Members don't see this ad.

as far as I know --- MD schools average course re-do grades and DO schools replace the higher grade