Does anyone have information on how to get into Canadian dental schools or practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azzure221

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have information on how to get into Canadian dental schools or practice there?

Members don't see this ad.

you must pass ee exam and toefl and then apply for 2 years program to be certified and then work in canada

Hi yasi,

My friend who is a dentist from India would be coming in 2 months to canada cos shes been married to a canadian permanent resident. what is the procedure for her to get a licence & practice there?also what do you mean by ee exam? Would it be easy for her since her hubby is a permanent resident ? Thanx in advance,

Members don't see this ad :)
hey Azzure,
here is the info that you will find informative regarding practicing dentistry in Canada

There are 2 ways in which one can obtain licensure to practice dentistry in Canada

1. Attending dental Schools:

At this moment there are 6 dental schools in Canada offering Advanced Standing program for two years.

These are
-Universty of Toronto (25 seats) offering QP
-University of Western Ontario (12 seats) offering QP
-Dalhousie University (8 seats) offering QP
-Universty of British Colombia (max of 12 seats) offering IDDP
-University of Manitoba (max of 7 seats) offering IDDP
-Univresity of Alberta (max of 8 seats) offering IDDP

QP-Qualifying Program. Students in this program will be able to practice only in Canada

IDDP-International Dental Degree Program. Students in this program will be able to practice in Canada and US

Requirements of each university vary but in general the selection of the candidate is based on
-Elegibility Exam
-English Language Test (IELTS/Toefl/Cantest/TSE)
-Grades obtained during dental school
-Dental Experience
-Letters of Recommendation
-Psycomotor Skills performed in Simulation Clinics

for more info contact www.acfd.ca

Note:- Mcgill university also accepts international dentist but their selection depends on the availability of seats. I am not to sure of the process but as I see it depending on the vacancies in the regular program ,the university will accomodate international dentist to either the 2nd or 3rd year

2.L'ordre de dentist du Qubec:

The province of Qubec has only recently (in the past one year and a half) approved to conduct test for international dentist from nonaccredit programs

The procedure involves 4 parts

I. Submiting your dental school scores,proof of work experience ,letter of recommendation etc to their office in Montreal, Qubec for evaluation.

II. after they aprove of your credentials they will direct you to take their Part 1written test.

III. After clearing Part 1, part 2 is taken which is a clinical simulation test ie performed on manikins

IV. part 3 is the regular licensure test for the province of qubec

On clearing part 3, you will be given a provincial licence to practice dentistry in the province of Qubec only. An evaluation after 3 years to grade your profeciency with the French language will convert your provincial licnece to a full licence to practice dentistry in the province of Qubec only.
Note:- the whole process takes about 18 months and cost about $15000 cnd.
for more info contact www.odq.qc.ca

I hope that this information will be of assistance to you.

message me if you need anymore information

regards
wcl

hi wlc,,,

i gave my EE this yr (may15th) and scored 76%. do u think i sud go ahead applying for the universty or sud i give my exam again for a better score.
is it true dat if u give yr EE on sept 2004 or may 2005 the admission will be only in 2006. if this true i might as well prepare nicely n give it the exam again on may 2005. what say.
also pls tell me how do we prepare for the clinical exam or the prelearning assesment exam and slo for the interview.
plz reply asap.
thanx.

hi drdoc,
76 is a decent score however i hear that the average in the acfd has gone up this year.... you may reconsider taking the ee exam again in sept.
usually a score of 80 and over is a competive score to get interview calls although univ of dalhousie last year did not call anyone below 83...
I think if you do retake the ee exam in sept, the updated score will be considered by the universities provided you have applied before the deadline

the selection for the interview is based on various points and ee is just one of them
the others english language scores,work experience,acadamic back ground, refrences.
once selected for the interview , wht matters is how you perform on the interview and assesment test.
I hope this answers your questions.....
All the best
regards
wcl