Does anyone have the answer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charlie2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After talking to post-grad and specialty residencies, no one seems to have the answer as to Board scores and comparing students with the new pass/fail grading.

Currently, as a sophomore in dental school, I have a choice to either take the Boards Part I on December 31, 2011 (I have that date already scheduled) or wait until the new test (with new questions) comes out next year. I do not know if I want to specialize as of yet, but would taking the test in December and getting a numerical score (let’s say an 83 for example) hurt or help me when they compare me to freshmen and others who just have a Pass/Fail grade. The underlying question is whether or not I should take the test in December or wait until next year sometime. And I have heard rumors that some specialties are requiring secondary test like the GRE and USMLE Part I to rank students. Is this true? And do you think the pass/fail test would be more difficult than the current examination?

Other pertinent background information: If I take the test in December, I do not see myself making above an 85 because I have just started preparing. I only have a few hours a week to dedicate to studying due to our rigorous schedule. It sounds nice to just "wait" and take the test at a later point, but I would rather almost get the test out of the way so that I can enjoy my last summer as a dental student. Has anyone heard of what the specialty programs will use to compare students?

Thanks for any information.

Members don't see this ad.

After talking to post-grad and specialty residencies, no one seems to have the answer as to Board scores and comparing students with the new pass/fail grading.

Currently, as a sophomore in dental school, I have a choice to either take the Boards Part I on December 31, 2011 (I have that date already scheduled) or wait until the new test (with new questions) comes out next year. I do not know if I want to specialize as of yet, but would taking the test in December and getting a numerical score (let's say an 83 for example) hurt or help me when they compare me to freshmen and others who just have a Pass/Fail grade. The underlying question is whether or not I should take the test in December or wait until next year sometime. And I have heard rumors that some specialties are requiring secondary test like the GRE and USMLE Part I to rank students. Is this true? And do you think the pass/fail test would be more difficult than the current examination?

Other pertinent background information: If I take the test in December, I do not see myself making above an 85 because I have just started preparing. I only have a few hours a week to dedicate to studying due to our rigorous schedule. It sounds nice to just "wait" and take the test at a later point, but I would rather almost get the test out of the way so that I can enjoy my last summer as a dental student. Has anyone heard of what the specialty programs will use to compare students?

Thanks for any information.

As NYU added DAT for advance standing application procedure... I Guess many universities can come up with this kind of things later just ... for scores .may be say they require GRE .for PG entrance.
As an FTD i know there are many schools in US which give admissions to FTD in PG courses on the basis of GRE scores.... and NBDE is not reqiured FTDs
for example- IUPUI, Boston ( only in some subjects they do require NBDE) ...that means NBDE score is not a sole criteria.
I guess they can extend GRE thing for US graduates so that they can have numerical scores ..
no one knows though what they will do to ovecome this..... mine is just a wild guess.