Does anyone have tips for a struggling student on the B/B section for the 2015 test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreamstoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Preferably someone who initially struggled with it and improved it.

What are some good sources?

I've used TPR B/B book and feel I know a lot more B/B but my score really didn't improve on non TPR FLs (TPR B/B sections I felt were way more content based than analysis based etc).

I do have some old TBR Bio books. Either 2011 or 2012. I used it briefly on the side when I felt TPR didn't cover a topic well into depth.

Should I use Khan Academy?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go thoroughly through B/R. As in every passage. Go through Khan Academy(some of their passages are good, some are meh but it's a better source than TPR for bio for sure). Look at EK, particularly their new stuff. Next Step is worth checking out as well. Old AAMC bio sections will give you plenty of practice of actually analysis even if the subjects won't really include biochem. All of that should be much better practice than what TPR FL's are. If you combine the FL's of these companies along with the practice books, I'm guessing that's probably close to 500 good quality practice passages.

Just curious what was your AAMC FL and mcat scores? I am struggling with this section too. I did Kaplan previously and felt that they focused more on content (and they cover it nicely in their content review) but not enough on analysis of convoluted Bio passages that real mcat was full of.

Lot's of ABSDKJSHSG4432 gen acting on ABCK764447 locus of control via type III(-) FGDGHS468934 enzyme that was previously inhibited in presence of CDK33394857GAF progen that is induced by blah, blah, blah..... Lot's of experimental research passages like this. This is what killed me. Other than that - discrete content based questions were easy-peasy.