Does anyone here have a useless undergraduate degree if you don't get into dental ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not to be negative here, but I want to survey the reality of dental applicants are facing. Do you have a useless undergraduate degree that can't get you a decent job if you don't get into dental school? If so, what is it?

Members don't see this ad.

Smooth Operater said:
Not to be negative here, but I want to survey the reality of dental applicants are facing. Do you have a useless undergraduate degree that can't get you a decent job if you don't get into dental school? If so, what is it?

I have two degrees and a minor in spanish and business

I have a degree in philosophy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Life sciences (biology) and German linguistics with a minor in chemistry. I also will have an Associates of Science degree from IUPUI in Respiratory Therapy.

My UG degree was in dance and minor was in theater.

Chemical engineering...useless because I can't tolerate it...will sell degree for outstanding student loan balance. :D

Biochemistry/Math for major with Biology/French for minors.

I can't imagine what i'd use that for.

Personally if I don't get into dental school, I'm just going to become a wildlife biologist or a biology professor. :)

CJWolf said:
Biochemistry/Math for major with Biology/French for minors.

I can't imagine what i'd use that for.

How many years were you in College for????????? :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
art studio & biology double major, yup I would starve.

Dentist 2 be said:
How many years were you in College for????????? :eek:

4 years, it wasn't too bad, I loaded up on classes a lot during my sophomore and junior year. I took 23 one semester and 24 the next semester my sophomore year basically.

I also had AP credits which helped getting some of the lower pre-reqs out of the way. I only got a BA in Biochem and a BA in math, and the biology minor was included in the Biochem major.

Who knows, i didn't mind it at all, I actually enjoy school for the most part, which makes me strange I guess.

toofache32 said:
Classical Guitar Performance = No job.
Ha, my roommate was the exact same major. And you guessed it, no job. He just applied for several music stores in the area :laugh: .

My degree is in Bio, minor in Bus. Admin. If I dont get in dental school, I'll just join the army, go to Iraq, get shot, and be done with it.

I was Econ and Computer Sci minor. I... sucked at both...

IcemanDDS said:
My degree is in Bio, minor in Bus. Admin. If I dont get in dental school, I'll just join the army, go to Iraq, get shot, and be done with it.

haven't you heard of Bush's exit strategy? it's through Syria... so that's where one would get shot at ;)

I really cant do anything with my Psychology degree. THe only thing I could do is grad school, so I would be kinda stuck in limbo if I did not get into dental school.

Biology with minors in chem and biochem. Really not a whole lot to do if I don't get in...except go to grad school, get my PhD and then re-apply and hope that a PhD will make me a more attractive applicant. :rolleyes:

I don't mean to rain on anyones parade right now, but I was hoping maybe to start a new thread on this:

Sorry for the negativity - but I think a well rounded pre-dental student should be well prepared if he/she doesn't get acceptance into dental school.

As competent applicants - you guys must have a 'Plan B' - what is it?

I don't mean to rain on anyones parade right now, but I was hoping maybe to start a new thread on this:

Sorry for the negativity - but I think a well rounded pre-dental student should be well prepared if he/she doesn't get acceptance into dental school.

As competent applicants - you guys must have a 'Plan B' - what is it?

Doctorate in Medicinal/Biophysical Chemistrywith a faculty position/research as a goal.

But i don't think you really need a plan B ... unless you couldn't cut it in undergrad. Does well rounded mean mediocre?

CJWolf said:
Doctorate in Medicinal/Biophysical Chemistrywith a faculty position/research as a goal.

But i don't think you really need a plan B ... unless you couldn't cut it in undergrad. Does well rounded mean mediocre?

well rounded doesn't have to mean excellent
well rounded is someone with decent stats all aound - but for some reason or another he/she did not get accepted

my question is directed to this person -

I take well rounded dental student as being the same as saying a girl has a nice personality.

They're not much to look at but maybe after you get to know them you'll think they're ok.

CJWolf said:
I take well rounded dental student as being the same as saying a girl has a nice personality.

They're not much to look at but maybe after you get to know them you'll think they're ok.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
i never saw it from that angle - good point

but whats wrong with a girl with a nice personality? :confused:

nothing at all. provided they're also very attractive. but if they're attractive, you're not going to describe them as having a great personality.

if someone's a competitive applicant, you're not really going to say they're well rounded. That's why i said well rounded = mediocre at least to me.

CJWolf said:
nothing at all. provided they're also very attractive. but if they're attractive, you're not going to describe them as having a great personality.

if someone's a competitive applicant, you're not really going to say they're well rounded. That's why i said well rounded = mediocre at least to me.

I've finally caught on to your reasoning...

I like it...it's cruel...but I like it!!!

NICE THEORY!!!

ianwright said:
I've finally caught on to your reasoning...

I like it...it's cruel...but I like it!!!

NICE THEORY!!!

Have you heard of the new 'FEMALE THEORUM' which states the nature of females? It is supported by a mathematical equation based on three postulates:

1) Time is money
2) Money is the root of all evil
3) Having a girlfriend mean time and money

Since Time = Money, we can substitute Money in for the 3rd equation.

Girl Friends = Money and Money

Money is the root of all evil can be rewritten:

Money = square root of "All Evil" so...
Money * Money = Evil

We already know:
Girl Friends = Money * Money so...
Girl Friends = Evil

A simple truth many men already know

Good see many of us are on the same boat. I am pursuing Integerated Science which I don't know what I am going to do with it after graduation. :rolleyes:

BS in Neuroscience = B.S.

Yes, major is biochemistry and minor is public health. I wish I had gone to USC to major in Dental Hygiene so that I could still make big bucks if the dental school didn't work out.