Does anyone know anyone who has gotten in with a GRE <1100? (more)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lewi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good GRE tutoring program?

Thanks for your time,
Chris

Members don't see this ad.

lewi said:
Can anyone recommend a good GRE tutoring program?

Thanks for your time,
Chris
Kaplan is expensive but a great program if you can afford to take their classes.

I took Kaplan for the GRE and it was a great choice for me! I took it during the summer and it was about 2 nights a week for 2-3 hours plus all of the out of class time that you want to put into it...It cost me about $1000 and that was 2 years ago so I am not sure if the prices are still the same..

It is great for someone who really wants to focus on different areas of the GRE in a structured way..it really breaks it down and helps you to get your highest score..The course is more intensive on verbal and quantitative section with only a brief focus on the analytical writing (because you are either a good writer on not)..Hope this helps and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that the GRE book produced by The princeton review was much more helpful than kaplan's. Kaplan provides a basic overview and common study techniques for the GRE, while Princeton provides alternative, non-traditional tricks to go about solving problems, in particular for the math portion. Both books offering CDs and practice tests that will point out your week areas. But really, I think that doing well is a state of mind - you just have to be dilligent. The best advice is to study vocab words like crazy and do math problems until you are tired. I hope this helps!

Darla

I have always used Princeton review books... I like them a lot because they teach you how to take the test. How to analyze the test and how to solve specific types of questions regardless of what's being asked. They do teach you tricks to the test, not how to study for the test. If you can learn those, you'll definitely raise your score.

I think you do need a good GRE score, or rather, you need to be in a good percentile. Unless you have great grades to make up for it. But you can improve your score with some hard work, and the schools will only look at the best score, so keep trying!

Princeton Review it is!!!!

CoffeeCrazy said:
I have always used Princeton review books... I like them a lot because they teach you how to take the test. How to analyze the test and how to solve specific types of questions regardless of what's being asked. They do teach you tricks to the test, not how to study for the test. If you can learn those, you'll definitely raise your score.

I think you do need a good GRE score, or rather, you need to be in a good percentile. Unless you have great grades to make up for it. But you can improve your score with some hard work, and the schools will only look at the best score, so keep trying!

Does anyone know how much the analytical writing score is considered by vet schools when making admissions decisions? It may vary from school to school, but the programs I've been looking at don't seem to take it into account, or at least it seems that way on their websites.

bern said:
Does anyone know how much the analytical writing score is considered by vet schools when making admissions decisions? It may vary from school to school, but the programs I've been looking at don't seem to take it into account, or at least it seems that way on their websites.

Bern,
It does matter at most schools. I think that what they do is convert the scores into an 800 scale, like a 5.5 would be like a 750 or something. Some schools do not care about it but I think now that it has been out for a couple of years they are starting to really look at it.

Beauty

Some schools place much more emphasis on GRE scores than others. Tufts first-years, for instance, average over 1300 combined.

LSU, on the other hand, publishes an average score of only around 1000.

Ironically, LSU's first-year class has a significantly higher average undergrad GPA.

If you decide to study on your own I'd get Barron's. They have a pretty detailed math section which is really great for review---geometry, probablilty, all that fun stuff. and of course vocab and writing review. I think its the best book to study the GRE by far in my opinion. =)

I took a practice gre and scored like a 1230. I then took Kaplan's class, and studied my ass off for about three months. I also bought a Princeton Review Book and used that to study too. When I finally took the test, my combined score on math and verbal was a 1430. (Now I just have to finish my prereques before my score expires!)

I totally recommend taking a class if you can afford it. It really helps you stay on track. If you can't afford a course, buy some review books (not just one) and practice, practice, practice. Most books come with a cd-rom that simulates the computer adaptive test. Make sure to take as many of those tests as you can (doesn't hurt to take the same test more than once). Really get good at doing math computations fast. Just practice with a pen and paper until you get real good. The little tips Kaplan gives you really helps. I found it especially helped on the math comparison questions.

Also, on the Princeton Review website, they have a Word de Jour section and they have a new GRE and SAT word every day. Keep a list of the words and make flashcards. Practice!! If I can do, anyone can! :laugh: