Menu Icon Search
Close Search

does anyone know how the kaplan curve works?

Discussion in 'Kaplan MCAT Forum' started by squirrel33, 01.16.12.

1. squirrel33

squirrel33

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows what determines how each Kaplan full length is curved?

I know that it tends to be more difficult than AAMC and therefore the curve is more generous...but is it based on percentage correct? or percentage of a certain difficulty level correct (low, med, high and very high according to Kaplan's ranking...)?

I'm at a point where my scores are increasing (thank goodness), but I want to be sure that my recent highest score isn't due to a curve inflation...

I've taken one exam for the past three days and I've improved my score by two points each day- AAMC the first two days and Kaplan being the most recent with my highest score (verbal in particular, where I struggle the most, was improved if this makes a difference).

Thanks!
  2. KaplanPatrick

KaplanPatrick Elite Kaplan Instructor Exhibitor

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN Sponsor SDN Exhibitor SDN 2+ Year Member
    squirell33,

The numbers of our curve are based on the number of questions that you get correct just like the AAMC. Keep those scores increasing. You want to bring that momentum right into test day! In my own personal experience and the experience of other instructors I can honestly say I have heard back from a TON of students over the years and it seems everyone, without exception, scores in the middle of their practice test average, including both Kaplan and AAMC. (This was true for me, as well, back in the day.)

There is always outliers but don't expect yourself to be one. You should focus on getting as many questions correct as possible not always the scaled score given to you. Remember good honest hard work will get you the points you are looking for!

Pat

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal