About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Does anyone know of any D.O. that accept applicants with a 23 MCAT score?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by FutureDoctor127, Oct 6, 2010.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. FutureDoctor127

FutureDoctor127

SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Are there any schools out there that would actually take someone with a 23 on the MCAT? I applied to 8, but I'm having major doubts because my score is so terrible.

I need advice, please!!
  2. elftown

elftown

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
  3. CardioPlus

CardioPlus PGY-1

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I don't know any personally... but I'm sure there definitely are... I had a friend that got into PCOM and NYCOM with a 24

It also depends on how the score of 23 was divided. An 8,8,7 is much more likely than a 9,9,5 because some schools won't take a section that's lower than a certain number (say 7 for example). What are your section scores?
  4. Ben9o6

Ben9o6 Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    It depends. I would think you would have a good chance of getting accepted with a BALANCED 23 MCAT score if you apply early. If you have a 23 MCAT score with a breakdown of 10-8-5, for example, then it may be a more difficult to get an interview.

I took the MCAT once and got a balanced 24. I submitted my app on June 1st and have had a pretty successful application cycle.
  5. FutureDoctor127

FutureDoctor127

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Which ones?

I applied to:
    NOVA
    LECOM-B
    DMU
    AZCOM
    ATSU-SOMA
    UMDNJ-COM
    PCOM
    PCOM-GA

My top choice would have been NOVA, but I've been told that they want something around a 26. Which ones do you think would be a good bet? Thank you!
  6. FutureDoctor127

FutureDoctor127

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Which ones?

I applied to:
    NOVA
    LECOM-B
    DMU
    AZCOM
    ATSU-SOMA
    UMDNJ-COM
    PCOM
    PCOM-GA

My top choice would have been NOVA, but I've been told that they want something around a 26. Which ones do you think would be a good bet? Thank you!
  7. FutureDoctor127

FutureDoctor127

SDN 2+ Year Member
    sorry for the double post!

took it 8/5 and got PS: 8, VR: 9, BS: 6
    retook it 9/2 and did even worse for some reason PS:7, VR: 8, BS: 6

i honestly thought i did better, but clearly that wasn't the case
  8. Ben9o6

Ben9o6 Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    My honest advice is you have 3 options:

1. Study for the MCAT and retake it. You shouldn't apply unless you get all sections above an 8, with maybe one 7. Apply early next cycle (June 1st). This is the option I would pick.

2. Apply caribbean this year.

3. Apply DO this year and hope for the best. This option can potentially waste a lot of money.
  9. elftown

elftown

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
  10. FutureDoctor127

FutureDoctor127

SDN 2+ Year Member
    i actually studied really hard for this. i'm not sure what happened. especially since i felt so confident after the second one. all i do know is that i can't give up. eventually, i'm going to get in somewhere...i hope.

so i did primaries back in june for those 8 schools. i've received secondaries for all, and completely submitted 3. still working on the rest. seeing my second score, i got completely discouraged though. does MCAT mean THAT much to D.O. schools? i have a 3.6 GPA, involved in a ton of stuff, shadowed both an MD and a DO, volunteered for over 2 years at a children's hospital, have been doing research for a long time. it's just that horrible little score pulling me back.

i looked at caribbean schools briefly today, but honestly, i can't see myself over there. i guess i'm just going to have to look at every school website and see if i can do it. i mean, if a school has an average of 26, it doesn't necessarily mean that they don't admit students with lower scores, right?

thank you all so much for advice so far! i really thought this was a lost cause.
  11. Ben9o6

Ben9o6 Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    It is definitely NOT a lost cause. If your dream is to become a doctor, you should do everything in your power to achieve that. This may mean going to the Caribbean or taking an extra year off to get the MCAT up a few points.

With that said, I don't think you originally applied broadly enough. Some of the schools you applied to are considered upper tier DO schools, stat wise. If you can, apply to schools like LECOM-erie, WVCOM, Ohio University, and VCOM. You may have a chance with your MCAT score if you have stellar extracurriculars and PS.

You made a good point, too. A 26 average means there are a lot of people above and a lot of people below that getting accepted. It can be done with a low MCAT score and there are many underdogs on this site who can attest to that. Some schools do have a cut off per section, though. You might have to look into that with your 6 in BS.

Good luck!
  12. FutureDoctor127

FutureDoctor127

SDN 2+ Year Member
    thanks so much for all your advice! you said you got a balanced 24. where did you apply, and have you gotten any interviews yet?
  13. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing Herd Protection SDN Advisor

Physician Faculty SDN 7+ Year Member