Does anyone know what Temple’s first time pass rates were this year for parts 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Foot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what Temple’s first time pass rates were this year for parts 1 and 2?

I know that you can learn the same material at any school and pass rates do not determine how future students will perform yada yada yada. Please don't just blow me off with a comment like this.

This is a legitimate question. Just as a school will ask for a student's MCAT score, it is reasonable to ask for a schools track record as well.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a legitimate question. Just as a school will ask for a student's MCAT score, it is reasonable to ask for a schools track record as well.

It absolutely is. Schools SHOULD post this information for all to see.

I also deleted this same thread you posted in the other forum. Please refrain from posting the same thread twice. Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me pick a number out of my hat.

Actually hes right, its really a crapshoot. The podiatry boards part 1 is pretty random. I suggest studying broadly and avoid going into too much details that the md students go into. A lot of basic physiology was asked which i didnt study for (i.e. 3 questions about smooth muscle and how they work.............). I knew a lot of those who failed.. and it happened to them only because they were unlucky and didnt study the right stuff.

Actually hes right, its really a crapshoot. The podiatry boards part 1 is pretty random. I suggest studying broadly and avoid going into too much details that the md students go into. A lot of basic physiology was asked which i didnt study for (i.e. 3 questions about smooth muscle and how they work.............). I knew a lot of those who failed.. and it happened to them only because they were unlucky and didnt study the right stuff.

Huh?

Wait a sec. Are you really trying to justify failing a national board exam with being unlucky? It's not luck. You said so yourself. You didn't study for something you should have. You also said it was BASIC stuff. That implies that it should be something everyone is expected to know at that stage of the game.

Let's call a spade a spade shall we?

What frustrates me is that all I read about on this site (it's not the only thing) is about parity, blah, blah, blah...come on folks. At one of the schools 32% failed part 2 (Youch!). Almost a third of the students at that school couldn't pass a basic national board exam that according to some on this site is easier than what the MD students have to sit for, and you want equality? Step up your game!

I was referring to the unsubstantiated pass rate for Temple.

Huh?

Wait a sec. Are you really trying to justify failing a national board exam with being unlucky? It's not luck. You said so yourself. You didn't study for something you should have. You also said it was BASIC stuff. That implies that it should be something everyone is expected to know at that stage of the game.

What frustrates me is that all I read about on this site (it's not the only thing) is about parity, blah, blah, blah...come on folks. At one of the schools 32% failed part 2 (Youch!). Almost a third of the students at that school couldn't pass a basic national board exam that according to some on this site is easier than what the MD students have to sit for, and you want equality? Step up your game!

I completely agree!!!

Huh?

The exam is written by podiatrists, some of the professors at different schools. They submit questions based on what they think is important, and the topics covered is very broad. The problem is that there is no single book that we can review and know most of the material on the exam. Should I go over class notes? Netters? First Aid for USMLE? Board Review Series books? Textbooks? We need multiple sources.. thus choosing the right material to study is half the battle.

I forget which association but I think it was the APMSA that has already discussed this and there is a push to having the USMLE run the exam for podiatry students instead of the NBPME based on the fact that the USMLE already has a system that reviews questions given on prior exams, analyze how students perform, keep the good ones and take out the bad ones. Might I also mention that when I took my exam, there were several typos including where my last question was asking about the anatomy of the thigh and the 4 multiple choice answers were different names of molecular compounds (obviously they had to throw that question out). I'm telling you I know the students who failed the exam and they are just as capable as anyone else. They studied hard. Perhaps we ought to take a moment to consider the exam itself.

Last edited:
...analyze how students perform, keep the good ones and take out the bad ones.

They do this already...

Might I also mention that when I took my exam, there were several typos including where my last question was asking about the anatomy of the thigh and the 4 multiple choice answers were different names of molecular compounds (obviously they had to throw that question out). I'm telling you I know the students who failed the exam and they are just as capable as anyone else. They studied hard. Perhaps we ought to take a moment to consider the exam itself.

This happens with the USMLE as well.

Anyone can have a bad day. No question about it. That is not the fault of the examination.

This happens with the USMLE as well.

Anyone can have a bad day. No question about it. That is not the fault of the examination.

True. However the questions in of itself isnt the main problem. Give me 2 months, the berkeley review books filled with review material and practice tests, i will be confidantly prepared to give you a 32 on the mcat. Give me an outline listing the topics i must cover, no review books availabe for this specific test, no decent practice test and only 1 free month to study for it, no matter how much preparation i can never be sure i know enough along with the fear i may have missed some topics altogether. It shouldnt be like this. Parity? As students we are doing everything we can. I can only hope the examinations committee do the same on their part.

Huh?

:thumbup: