Does anyone know why Louisiana requires citizenship or green card for licensure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentaladvocate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why does Louisiana require green card or citizenship for licensure? They don't for doctors, only dentists. Do any other states not grant licenses for non-permanent status?

I am trying to understand this policy.

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you call them?

Last edited:
I did and the answer was a non-answer. The people I spoke to (Dental Assoc) felt foreign dentists were less grounded and more likely to skip if things went bad. Not a very concrete or defensible position. I will ask the dental board executive director but he is new. I really wish to know if other states share that policy.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's pretty obvious. Xenophobia and a way to stifle competition. Probably wouldn't stand up to a supreme court challenge, but no one that wants to fight that fight has the cash to.

I believe you are right. I think the legislature should prove the first choice.

Yes as far as I know only 14 states allow foreign trained dentists to become licensed.

Not foreign trained, but not permanent residents or citizens. As far as I know the only state, which gives a license to a graduate of not accredited dental school is Minnesota

Actually, all the states I am aware of outside of Louisiana do allow foreign born dentists to gain a license if they get a DMD or DDS from CODA school, normally 2 extra years. Obviously, Boards must be passed.

I want to develop support to change this in Louisiana.

Sorry, again, in Louisiana they allow only citizens or those with a green card or from a NAFTA country.