Does being a non-responder to vaccine effect anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boogy'sChick15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my current internship at a hospital, I was required to get titers for practically every vaccination. In doing so, I found out despite receiving all vaccinations as a baby, I had no immunity for chickenpox, Hep B, mumps, or measles. I retook all the series and received booster shots and the only one that remained negative was for chickenpox. Per doctors orders I took another booster, still negative, and then ANOTHER one, and still negative. In fact, it was lower after each booster.

I am just curious as to whether being a non responder to the chickenpox vaccine would cause any problems when it comes to getting into med school, finding jobs in hospitals, etc. in the future?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a semi-similar situation to yours. Hospital volunteer titer came up with no immunity to rubella. Got an MMR booster, still not immune. Got another one and I finally titered ok. However, the HR nurse told me that they would not give me another booster after the second one if I still did not show immunity and I would still be ok to volunteer (volunteers follow same vaccination requirements as hospital employees). So my guess is it won't be a problem.

I would be a lot less concerned about its impact for med school and jobs and more concerned about what will happen when you get exposed to a case of the active disease... Because at least for chicken pox you likely will.

Reactions: 1 user