Does EVERY Dental School in USA/Canada provide option to become an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hydrogen8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you basically become an oral surgeon going through ANY dental school in USA?

Or do certain schools have programs for it.. that you have to get into?

Can an international student even become an oral surgeon?

Members don't see this ad.

I highly suggest you pursue the DO route. No dental school is going to accept you with your GPA. Much less the OMFS route...

I highly suggest you pursue the DO route. No dental school is going to accept you with your GPA. Much less the OMFS route...

On a another post, someone stated if I boot up my GPA to a 3.02 (or 3.1 if dent schools count repeated courses) and get a DAT of 22 or more, I have reasonable chances for dental school. What's your view on this?

Also why would OMFS look at my UNDERGRAD gpa? Wouldn't they assess me by my dental school performance?

1) Yes, if you work hard and diligently for it.
2) No, you can apply from any CODA-accredited dental school.
3) Several OMS programs have a reputation for taking international graduates but having a US DDS/DMD is ideal.

Are all dental schools CODA-accredited? (in the US and canada?)

Thanks for the info btw. :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
On a another post, someone stated if I boot up my GPA to a 3.02 (or 3.1 if dent schools count repeated courses) and get a DAT of 22 or more, I have reasonable chances for dental school. What's your view on this?

Also why would OMFS look at my UNDERGRAD gpa? Wouldn't they assess me by my dental school performance?

I am going to be honest with you here.
3.02 does not give you reasonable chances of admission into a dental school, even with a 22 DAT.

You would need to have amazing extracurricular activities or a stellar DAT score (like above 26 AA, TS) for the adcoms look over a ~3.0 gpa

Since you asked about international students, I am going to assume you are one, and this makes your chances of acceptance even slimmer.

You should really consider doing a post-bacc, and scoring high on the DAT. Even then, I think it will still be an uphill battle for you.

Theoretically, yes.

Realistically, no.

Some schools are better equipped for it. Some schools are designed to pump out GPs. It's possible for you to get into dental school. But 2.75 is really scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Depending on how many credit hours you have, it's probably impossible to boost your GPA by that much.

Judging by your post history, have you shadowed anybody? That might help you make a decision.

6-year programs, which include 2-3 years of medical school, will assess your undergraduate performance. (Your admission to 6 year programs is a joint consideration between the residency and the medical school, and the medical school is busy accepting kids with 3.7 undergrad GPAs.)

I know some programs that are dual degree [MD + OMFS] will absolutely take your undergrad transcript into consideration

In fact I knew a guy who went to dental school in the US and was accepted by the OMFS program but was rejected by the med school since they took some prereqs for dental school at a community college

I know some programs that are dual degree [MD + OMFS] will absolutely take your undergrad transcript into consideration

In fact I knew a guy who went to dental school in the US and was accepted by the OMFS program but was rejected by the med school since they took some prereqs for dental school at a community college

That sounds terrible!! Could you expand a little on it please?

That sounds terrible!! Could you expand a little on it please?
not much else to say really, he took some courses at CC, med school didn't like it and denied him thus, he couldn't go to that program :shrug:

not much else to say really, he took some courses at CC, med school didn't like it and denied him thus, he couldn't go to that program :shrug:

Not to mention prereqs.

For the record, dental schools dont like it that much either.