Does going to an undergrad school with a DO program, lessen your chances of MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevinnn722

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently offered a full paid tuition scholarship to Nova Southeastern University, which has it's own D.O. medical school. If I were to get my degree from Nova, would it lessen my chances of getting into an allopathic medical school like University of Miami? Thanks for the help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you think it would? Take the money and enjoy!

Why would you think it would? Take the money and enjoy!

I just thought since their Pre-Med program feeds directly into their med school, that the curriculum is more D.O. oriented. You're right though, I should be happy that I got the tuition paid for! :)

No just because you go their doesn't mean it will lessen your chances at allopathic school at all :)

I just thought since their Pre-Med program feeds directly into their med school, that the curriculum is more D.O. oriented. You're right though, I should be happy that I got the tuition paid for! :)

What? No undergrad premed program in the country feeds directly into their med school. Derp.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

What? No undergrad premed program in the country feeds directly into their med school. Derp.

I don't want to sound mean or start a fight, but Nova's does. It's called dual admission and it feeds directly into the Medical School without applying, just having the required GPA & MCAT score at the end of your Pre-Med program.

I don't want to sound mean or start a fight, but Nova's does. It's called dual admission and it feeds directly into the Medical School without applying, just having the required GPA & MCAT score at the end of your Pre-Med program.

And that would affect ur AMCAS how exactly?

And Baylor University has a program that you apply to at the same time as the college in which, if you get accepted, you are simultaneously accepted to the University and to BCM.

Nope.

I was recently offered a full paid tuition scholarship to Nova Southeastern University, which has it's own D.O. medical school. If I were to get my degree from Nova, would it lessen my chances of getting into an allopathic medical school like University of Miami? Thanks for the help in advance!

Dual admission is totally different from feeding; by saying feeding you give me the impression that there is no selection at all. Their Dual admission is already predetermined by the time you enter college (some MD programs do this too). According to NOVA's website, "Eligibility for dual admission is determined at the time students are accepted for admission into the undergraduate program. Each dual admission major is unique and has its own eligibility requirements. Only first-time freshmen are eligible to apply for dual admission program in the health professions." Dual admission to NOVA's osteopathic school also requires an interview