Does GPA matter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It will matter if you want to do a residency or get another degree, but if you're talking about job hunting, no it won't.

Members don't see this ad.

I just discovered I hired a sub 3.0 GPA intern for my new company. His work is satisfactory, but maybe I should fire him? What do you guys think?

Hate to go off subject, but I find this interesting. If his work is satisfactory (especially if he also has strong work ethics with a positive attitude), then would his grade matter?

Playing devil's advocate, some individuals make poor choices that could affect GPA as they go through school. Some may later realize that after graduation, they will be ones who will be responsible for their patients' lives. By then, even if this maturation prompts them to do better academically later on, it may be too late to make a significant impact on GPA alone.

Yet in a competitive market, one can easily make the argument that there is no room to make mistakes. Why should those "late bloomers" get a second chance or the opportunity to grow up over kids who were focused and responsible from the get-go...

Luck and chaos, perhaps?

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall his work is satisfactory, and his attitude is great, I would say.

I would agree with this. In fact, I think maybe people missed my sarcasm. I'd never consider firing him b/c of his grades. I don't give a crap about that. I hired him because I knew him and felt he would fit well with my company. I had worked with him in another context and liked his work. So grades are not always important, but networking and connections are.

I would agree with this. In fact, I think maybe people missed my sarcasm. I'd never consider firing him b/c of his grades. I don't give a crap about that. I hired him because I knew him and felt he would fit well with my company. I had worked with him in another context and liked his work. So grades are not always important, but networking and connections are.

Totally true based on my experience :thumbup:

I'm fairly new here, so it's a bit harder for me to read between the lines and to put things in context of each author. But rest assured, I'm slowly learning who are the resident jokesters, duelists, diplomats, fanboys, etc... :smuggrin:

Totally true based on my experience :thumbup:

I'm fairly new here, so it's a bit harder for me to read between the lines and to put things in context of each author. But rest assured, I'm slowly learning who are the resident jokesters, duelists, diplomats, fanboys, etc... :smuggrin:

There is a lot of subtext going on in this thread between me and my #1 fanboy... it's fun, and not very subtle, I think. :laugh:

Identifying the #1 fanboy is more difficult than (and perhaps not quite as subtle as) you think!

Especially when there are quite a few of them around from my observation...:smuggrin:

Dare I ask where I fall in this list?

I'm still a newb, so don't hold that against me... but from all your posts that I've read, I'd say you're either an archivist or a fanboy >_>;

Don't kill me.... :scared:

I'm still a newb, so don't hold that against me... but from all your posts that I've read, I'd say you're either an archivist or a fanboy >_>;

Don't kill me.... :scared:

An archivist is someone who archives, right? Not sure I understand how I fit that or what it even means in this context. Fanboy I can agree with. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Archivist... One who gathers information. I can kind of see it. Between the sarcasm and fanboyisms, you are often helpful to others, right? Or maybe he meant anarchist.

Hahahaha. I hadn't think of that. Another awesome title to add to my title bucket for a special individual.

I thought of archivist for owlegrad because of what A4MD said. You're a wealth of info and are often spotted helping newbies navigate through the jungle of pharmacy school, amongst others. Many of your posts also consist of links guiding knowledge-seekers to much older, archived, posts.

It almost feels like you have a way of reading thread IDs like Deweys... or something. That's right, I've almost got you figured out! :cool:

Hahahaha. I hadn't think of that. Another awesome title to add to my title bucket for a special individual.

I thought of archivist for owlegrad because of what A4MD said. You're a wealth of info and are often spotted helping newbies navigate through the jungle of pharmacy school, amongst others. Many of your posts also consist of links guiding knowledge-seekers to much older, archived, posts.

It almost feels like you have a way of reading thread IDs like Deweys... or something. That's right, I've almost got you figured out! :cool:

Why would I kill you for saying something so nice? I am touched. I am blushing. :oops:

I don't think that is my rep at all in fact, I am pretty sure you are confusing me with crazybob, chemguy, tsuki, or someone else. I might have a helpful post here or article there, but most of my posts are sarcasm/fanboyish. It is hard not to have some helpful posts when your post count is over 9000. You are giving me way too much credit. :p

What is a Dewey? Google did not help me.

I might have a helpful post here or article there, but most of my posts are sarcasm/fanboyish. It is hard not to have some helpful posts when your post count is over 9000.

What is a Dewey? Google did not help me.

Loooooooool. :thumbup: :laugh:

I agree on two counts, Owl is a great forum contributor, and also an uncontrollable sarcasm machine / forum trickster.

Btw: Dewey is street slang for the Dewey Decimal System.

... uncontrollable sarcasm machine / forum trickster.

Btw: Dewey is street slang for the Dewey Decimal System.

Ah, my inner nerd is not happy that I missed that reference. My inner nerd is much nerdier than my outer nerd, in case anyone was wondering.

I loved uncontrollable sarcasm machine so much I wanted it as my custom user tag. Sadly it was too many characters, so I made do. :D

Sweat!!!!

May I recommend:

0001888.jpg