General Admissions & OTCAS Does GRE really affect if I am going to apply USC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baka2017

Baka
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys!
Does anyone know any USC students having not perfect GRE scores but still got accepted?
I took GRE 3 times this year. My Writing section got improved but my verbal still bad.
-Overall GPA:3.57
-Prerequisite GPA: 3.8
-GRE: verbal(144), quant(164), 4.0 writing portion
-Over 250 volunteer hours
-Good recommendation letters(1 from an OT, 1 from college professor, 1 from hospital supervisor)
I wonder if I have any chance to get into USC since they require 154 on verbal section…..

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have an answer for you, but I would recommend applying to multiple schools just to be safe.

It states on their website "conditional acceptance is possible if a minimum requirement is not met" and to contact the program with specific situations. I was in a similar situation to yours, wondering if it was even worth applying, so I emailed the admissions office. This is the response I got...

"Applicants for the early decision deadline (November 30) should meet all of the GPA and GRE general test admission criteria and plan to enroll in the program if admitted.

Applicants can be considered for the regular decision deadline (February 15) even if they do not meet all of the GPA and GRE general test admission criteria:

(1) 3.0 cumulative GPA

(2) 153 on the verbal section

(3) 144 on the quantitative section

(4) 3.5 on the analytical writing section

Therefore you would be considered for conditional admission at the February deadline with your current GRE scores. To be a competitive applicant, my standard response is to look at each of the admission criteria and do your best to maximize each of the areas. That would include cumulative GPA (which would be hard to impact on short notice!), GRE score, prerequisite grades, the essay, and selecting recommenders who can attest to your suitability for the program academically as well as in light of the fact that occupational therapy is a helping profession. Of course all of your volunteer experience will be very valuable in terms of making a solid decision, your essay development, and ultimately your success in whatever program you enroll. We pay attention to the GRE score, and pay attention to the fact that the student has made an effort to maximize their score (i.e. studied and retook the test), but it does not dominate the decisions of the admission committee. The committee looks at each of the areas listed above in its efforts to make good decisions. Because programs are experiencing growing numbers of applicants, when I communicate with all applicants, I encourage them to consider more than one program since my hope is that there will be a place for all students who are strong candidates such as yourself. I hope that this is in some way helpful to you."

Overall, I think you definitely apply!! Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have an answer for you, but I would recommend applying to multiple schools just to be safe.

Thank you!
I only applied 4 schools and 3 of them required GRE scores.
I hope my GPA and working/volunteering experience could somehow help me~

It states on their website "conditional acceptance is possible if a minimum requirement is not met" and to contact the program with specific situations. I was in a similar situation to yours, wondering if it was even worth applying, so I emailed the admissions office. This is the response I got...

"Applicants for the early decision deadline (November 30) should meet all of the GPA and GRE general test admission criteria and plan to enroll in the program if admitted.

Applicants can be considered for the regular decision deadline (February 15) even if they do not meet all of the GPA and GRE general test admission criteria:

(1) 3.0 cumulative GPA

(2) 153 on the verbal section

(3) 144 on the quantitative section

(4) 3.5 on the analytical writing section

Therefore you would be considered for conditional admission at the February deadline with your current GRE scores. To be a competitive applicant, my standard response is to look at each of the admission criteria and do your best to maximize each of the areas. That would include cumulative GPA (which would be hard to impact on short notice!), GRE score, prerequisite grades, the essay, and selecting recommenders who can attest to your suitability for the program academically as well as in light of the fact that occupational therapy is a helping profession. Of course all of your volunteer experience will be very valuable in terms of making a solid decision, your essay development, and ultimately your success in whatever program you enroll. We pay attention to the GRE score, and pay attention to the fact that the student has made an effort to maximize their score (i.e. studied and retook the test), but it does not dominate the decisions of the admission committee. The committee looks at each of the areas listed above in its efforts to make good decisions. Because programs are experiencing growing numbers of applicants, when I communicate with all applicants, I encourage them to consider more than one program since my hope is that there will be a place for all students who are strong candidates such as yourself. I hope that this is in some way helpful to you."

Overall, I think you definitely apply!! Good luck :)
Thank you!
It really helps me! At least let me feel less stressed.
I think right now the only thing i can change or help me become more competitive is my personal essay.
And hopefully I can hear from LLU soon~