Does higher melting point mean lower freezing point?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ieatshrimp24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question in case I need to spot trends. I understand more solute particles means higher melting point and lower freezing point. But does a compound's inherent melting point affect its freezing point?

Members don't see this ad.

I am assuming you meant a higher boiling point since you referred to solute.

Then you ask does the inherent boiling point effect the freezing point.

This is compound dependent and I don't think one point can be inferred from the other.

These are colligative properties. More solutes means more things to get in the way of creating lattice structures when freezing, so more energy is required. This explains freezing point depression. Boiling point elevation is explained by the greater amount of intermolecular forces in a solution which means more energy is required to break them to enter the gaseous phase. This difficulty to leave the liquid is also what explains vapor pressure depression.

You can see here that they are just inverses of each other. But here's a case where they aren't.

Among branched alkanes, increased branching raises the melting point (=freezing point), and lowers the boiling point. Yet compared to unbranched alkanes, increased branching lowers both.