Does it look bad on a med school app if a student takes 12-units semesters all throughout college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoyKim456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a whole semester worth of units credit from AP classes and I have figured out that it is possible for me to complete my graduation, major, and pre-req requirements by only taking 12 units (including a 5 units course the summer after freshman year which is NOT a med school pre req) a semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It might raise eyebrows. Why not just add a couple more fun classes that you will never have the chance to take again?Also keep in mind that a lot of schools don't accept AP credit in place of the prereqs.

Reactions: 1 users
@Aerus About the pre-reqs, my AP credit just gives me units (and fullfills some general ed classes). Those extra units help me get the amount of units I need to graduate. Therefore, I will be taking all my pre reqs at the college introductory level

Members don't see this ad :)
@Aerus About the pre-reqs, my AP credit just gives me units (and fullfills some general ed classes). Those extra units help me get the amount of units I need to graduate. Therefore, I will be taking all my pre reqs at the college introductory level

Then that part is fine. I still highly recommend that you try to take some interesting classes in addition to your 12 units.

Then that part is fine. I still highly recommend that you try to take some interesting classes in addition to your 12 units.
Agreed, you have plenty of room to pick up a minor or just add interesting classes in the mix. Also, many schools require that you have at least 90 credits by the time of your application, so keep that in mind if you plan on applying as a traditional student (summer after junior year).

@Aerus The reason I just want to take 12 units is because I want to do a ton of EC activities (like sports, research, volunteering, or something awesome). How about I take a research project that I get unit credit for during my junior year?

@Aerus The reason I just want to take 12 units is because I want to do a ton of EC activities (like sports, research, volunteering, or something awesome). How about I take a research project that I get unit credit for during my junior year?

It's up to you. GPA comes first. Still, if you have the choice, you still want to avoid multiple semesters/quarters with only 12 units. I've never taken less than 17 units and I'm doing fine in the EC department.

Maybe I can take a 1-2 semesters where I take 16-18 units?

Is 12 units too easy?

It's the bare minimum. Avoid it, as you're going to be taking based on what I've read on here, semesters in med school equivalent to 25-30 credits. You'll look ill prepared and possibly lazy..

Idk, I'm not an ADCOM but the thought of only 12 credits every semester won't reflect well on you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You want to show you can handle a heavy course load. 12 credits/semester probably doesn't accomplish that. Take some elective for 3 credits so you are at a full load.

Having tons of extra activies won't replace courses. Bottom line is you need to prove you can handle med school. How do you expect to answer that question in an interview if you've never taken a full courseload? They would assume you can't

Is 12 units too easy?
This will entirely depend on the difficulty of the classes and the type of student you are, but as a reference most schools operate with an average ~15 credits (4-5 classes) per term to graduate with your degree. Your school might have a "program of study" or something similar where they outline all the classes the major has to take and a recommended guideline of what year/term each class should be taken. You can use this to compare how many credits/term other students in your major are likely taking.

An example of a "program of study" taken from the biochemistry major at Colorado State University. Most terms are 14-17 credits.

If you did pretty well in high school (as I'm assuming you did because of AP credit) you should have no problem handling 14-17 credits/term.

This will entirely depend on the difficulty of the classes and the type of student you are, but as a reference most schools operate with an average ~15 credits (4-5 classes) per term to graduate with your degree. Your school might have a "program of study" or something similar where they outline all the classes the major has to take and a recommended guideline of what year/term each class should be taken. You can use this to compare how many credits/term other students in your major are likely taking.

An example of a "program of study" taken from the biochemistry major at Colorado State University. Most terms are 14-17 credits.

If you did pretty well in high school (as I'm assuming you did because of AP credit) you should have no problem handling 14-17 credits/term.

When you say that, do you mean for a college degree or medical degree?

That doesn't make sense. But because of my AP credit, I can graduate with just taking 12 units a semester.

You shouldn't think about it as "I got AP credit so now I can slack off and do the bare minimum to graduate with a degree" because no medical school will care/want to hear that. The way you should think about it is "I got AP credit so now I can explore a variety of different elective courses to make me a more well rounded person (and coincidentally a more well-rounded applicant)." If you're a full time student you probably pay the same exact tuition whether you take 12 credits or 18 credits. You might as well get your money's worth for a liberal arts education.

Reactions: 2 users
That doesn't make sense. But because of my AP credit, I can graduate with just taking 12 units a semester.
Sure, you could graduate with 12 credits per term. But you (most likely) wouldn't get any med school doing that. Whats more important to you?

I don't get it. What do you mean I wouldn't get any med school doing that?

I understand what you guys mean. One last question. What's more impressive. Average of 14-16 units average with very good EC's or 18-20 units average with basic EC's?

I don't get it. What do you mean I wouldn't get any med school doing that?

Two reasons. I don't know about american school details, but I'm assuming its similar to Canada in that there's a minimum number of courses per term (usually 5) that you need to even apply. If you were in Canada your application wouldn't qualify for a single school.
Secondly, even if you did qualify you would look like a slacker. Like a said, med school is challenging and admission commites want to KNOW you can handle it. If they asked you in an interview why you know you could handle it, what would you say then? There's nothing impressive about a 4.0GPA of 3 courses per term....

I understand what you guys mean. One last question. What's more impressive. Average of 14-16 units average with very good EC's or 18-20 units average with basic EC's?
Option 3:
18 units with impressive EC's

Furthermore, wouldn't med schools recognize that a 12 unit load with organic chem and physics is harder than an 18 unit load of "Mickey Mouse" classes? As far as I am told

Furthermore, wouldn't med schools recognize that a 12 unit load with organic chem and physics is harder than an 18 unit load of "Mickey Mouse" classes? As far as I am told

I think you're having trouble understanding what they mean. Both of the options you suggest are poor choices if you want to prove to an ADCOM you can handle med school. Most (sucessfull) applicants will take a full course load (5 classes per term) of courses like chem, physics, etc with maybe an easy elective or 2. Also wait until you get to university....whatever you decide to major in will dictate which courses you pick more than anything. I don't know of any program that would let you take 18 units of elective...

@ConfusedChemist I really want to do EC's that I enjoy. And I don't want to sacrifice quality. Just cause I choose to take 14-15 units doesn't mean I cannot handle a bigger workload. And EC's like sports and music (what I want to do) those take effort.

And what I was talking about the electives I meant that some majors are easier

And what I was talking about the electives I meant that some majors are easier

Unfortunately, there will be people who take full course loads AND have impressive EC's. This is a seller's market, so you aren't in a position to choose. Take the maximum load of classes you can handle while still maintaining a competitive GPA and doing extracurriculars that show your passion and dedication as a student and person.

Using AP Credits as a reason to take a light load every semester is a poor excuse and will not reflect well on you when you apply to med schools. If you can't handle a full course load with extracurricular activities, how will you handle the med school curriculum? People who were superstars taking 18+ units with tons of awesome EC's still struggle to fit in time to study in med school. If you're already struggling to maintain a full course load on top of quality extracurricular activities, how will you survive later on?

Maybe I'm just underestimating myself? I'm not sure. But the people who do take 18 units and have impressive EC's, are all those units very difficult or are a fair amount of them a bit easy? Because I doubt there are enough hours in the day to do a research project, play a sport, volunteer, and be doing 5 classes at the rigor of of thermodynamics, thermal physics, and quantum mechanics.

Unfortunately, there will be people who take full course loads AND have impressive EC's. This is a seller's market, so you aren't in a position to choose. Take the maximum load of classes you can handle while still maintaining a competitive GPA and doing extracurriculars that show your passion and dedication as a student and person.

Using AP Credits as a reason to take a light load every semester is a poor excuse and will not reflect well on you when you apply to med schools. If you can't handle a full course load with extracurricular activities, how will you handle the med school curriculum? People who were superstars taking 18+ units with tons of awesome EC's still struggle to fit in time to study in med school. If you're already struggling to maintain a full course load on top of quality extracurricular activities, how will you survive later on?
^This. There's so many incredible applicants to medical schools who handle tons of EC's on top of a rigourous program, full course load, and still keep a high GPA. And why would a med school choose someone who 'says' they could handle more if required over someone who's already proven that they can?

Maybe I'm just underestimating myself? I'm not sure. But the people who do take 18 units and have impressive EC's, are all those units very difficult or are a fair amount of them a bit easy? Because I doubt there are enough hours in the day to do a research project, play a sport, volunteer, and be doing 5 classes at the rigor of of thermodynamics, thermal physics, and quantum mechanics.
Haha welcome to university as a premed.
There isn't really enough hours in a day, but thats the challenge

How many units is considered rigorous? 18 or 20?

1. It doesn't matter what you major in as long as you take the pre-reqs. No one said you had to major in a hard science or engineering. You should pick a major based on what you want to learn - a subject you enjoy. Then do very well in that major. No adcom will care if you get you B.A. in art history or if you get a triple B.S. in biology, chemistry, and physics as long as you have a good GPA, good MCAT, and have taken the pre-reqs. So do what you enjoy because you will likely succeed and try harder if you enjoy it. idc if English is the easiest major and everyone gets a 3.9+, you couldn't pay me to take 4 English/writing courses each term. I'll reiterate as long as you get a good GPA it doesn't matter what you major in.

2. You need to prove that you can handle a harder courseload. Anyone can say that they aren't challenged and could do more if they had the time, but the point is you need to prove it. This doesn't mean you need to take 18 credits every term, but 1 term of 3+ science classes at the same time with good grades will prove the point just fine. One of the qualities medical schools look for is a capacity for improvement. If you aren't challenging yourself it will show.

3. As @Aerus pointed out, there will be people who are taking 18+ credits each term of hard science and engineering courses and still fit in time for clinical and non-clinical volunteering, shadowing, sports, and other ECs. It's an arms race for the best CV, there's no advantage to shooting yourself in the foot by saying I could do better. Just do better.

4. You have to work up to all of this. No one just woke up one morning and landed all of their courses and ECs. You'll have time to gauge how difficult of a courseload you can handle and how many ECs you can fit in. As long as you are challenging yourself to be the most competitive applicant you can be, you will be fine. If you ever say "I should have done better/more/harder." Make sure you do it better/more/harder next time.

Edit: typos

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you very much, I really do appreciate it. I think I'll take more units.

Thank you very much, I really do appreciate it. I think I'll take more units.
Good luck, with hard work you'll be fine.
No one said it was easy-there's a reason SDN exists. It's called mutual support lol

Do you guys suggest filling in my classes with a specific minor or just some random classes (like Arabic, religious studies, or history.

Take what interests you. Minors are worth very little so only do it if it interests you.

Do you guys suggest filling in my classes with a specific minor or just some random classes (like Arabic, religious studies, or history.

No, that won't be necessary. Just take random classes that you enjoy.

Would medical schools recognize a 4 unit quantum mechanics course (for fun) as more challenging than a 4 unit Civil War course (for fun)?

Would medical schools recognize a 4 unit quantum mechanics course (for fun) as more challenging than a 4 unit Civil War course (for fun)?
You haven't even started college yet....
Do what YOU enjoy, there's always the chance you don't get into med school, so if that happens do you really want to look back on your college experience with regret?
If you like quantum, take it as an elective. I took Quantum as an elective this year, although I almost dropped it because it scared me! But I kept working at it because I was interested in it, and ended up with the highest grade in the course. Not because it was 'easy' but because I actually liked what I was doing.

Who the hell takes 18+ credit hrs and still has time to do ECs? I'm struggling to keep research and volunteering in my 13 credit hour schedule...

Who the hell takes 18+ credit hrs and still has time to do ECs? I'm struggling to keep research and volunteering in my 13 credit hour schedule...
Me.