Does it look bad to apply to multiple schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CK8652

PUDDING!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying late this year, but really want to get in this year. I believe I will be a relatively worthy candidate but with my late application and Jan PCAT, I want to be sure I get in at least somewhere. My question is are the schools able to see other schools I apply to? And more importantly, should I list ALL schools (even if like 8+) on the application where it asks what other schools I am applying to ?

Really, I could see them disregarding someone based on the fact they applied to 10+ schools, even if the applicant is very qualified. Anyone know if this is the case?

Members don't see this ad.

Be honest and no, it doesn't matter and no, they won't "disregard" you. They MAY ask, "Why us?" on your interview... but think about it, they could ask, "Why are you SO sure you're going to get into School X(us) that you didn't apply anywhere else?"

Apply widely. Lots and lots of people get into schools just fine applying to 5-10.

I know of no school that would dismiss your app after seeing that you've applied to ">x # of other schools." It's up to you how much cash you're willing to spend on those plane tickets and hotel rooms.

Be prepared for the popular questions at each school: So why us? What attracts you most to our curriculum?

etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, OP. Yes, it is bad to apply to multiple schools. They will spy on you to see if you are the material and what it's going to look like if they find out? That's right, infidelity.
Lol, j/k. But seriously, I have tried to applied to only one school twice, but didn't get accepted.

Hey, OP. Yes, it is bad to apply to multiple schools. They will spy on you to see if you are the material and what it's going to look like if they find out? That's right, infidelity.
Lol, j/k. But seriously, I have tried to applied to only one school twice, but didn't get accepted.

:laugh: :thumbup:

If you know you're a shoe in, apply to one school :thumbup:

Applying to multiple schools is good, they most likely wont know where you applied too unless you specifically told them...

I've know of many med students who apply to over 30 schools each cycle

I applied to a whole bunch. I don't see why PharmCAS would allow a school to see how many schools you are applying to?

I KNOW!!! They should hide that from the schools. lol

I applied to a whole bunch. I don't see why PharmCAS would allow a school to see how many schools you are applying to?

As long has one of your LORs doesn't include a specific school's name, it should be fine.

I've heard from an admissions guy at UT that he read and LOR one time from PharmCAS that mentioned UT and he couldn't help but wonder where else the applicant had applied.

Okay so it's Christmas morning and I'm on SDN... LOL! Anyway... some schools specifically ask what other schools you applied to on the supplemental. I definitely wouldn't lie because that makes you look dishonest if they found out. Also... it is WAY more common for students to apply to 3, 4 or more schools than it is to only apply to one... so this would raise the question that was mentioned previously about how you are so sure you will get in to just this one school. Not saying that you aren't competitive, but admissions are sort of unpredictable. The 'whole package' that one school is searching for might be different than another.

Okay so it's Christmas morning and I'm on SDN... LOL! Anyway... some schools specifically ask what other schools you applied to on the supplemental. I definitely wouldn't lie because that makes you look dishonest if they found out.

They would also say that it makes you unprofessional and you can lose credibility as a future pharmacist.

Also... it is WAY more common for students to apply to 3, 4 or more schools than it is to only apply to one... so this would raise the question that was mentioned previously about how you are so sure you will get in to just this one school. Not saying that you aren't competitive, but admissions are sort of unpredictable. The 'whole package' that one school is searching for might be different than another.

I applied to only one school, but one girl from my school applied to two. Another girl I know applied to 4-5. She got accepted to only 2 schools, but I thought it was good that she applied to multiple schools and had interviews at them.

Yeah they should! I had 4 interviews and none of them asked about the other schools I applied to. So that was cool. Also, I had a unique answer for each of the school's "Why ____ COP?"

As long has one of your LORs doesn't include a specific school's name, it should be fine.

I've heard from an admissions guy at UT that he read and LOR one time from PharmCAS that mentioned UT and he couldn't help but wonder where else the applicant had applied.

People know not to gear personal statement and LORs to a specific school. My LORs were directed to pharmacy as a whole. I never mentioned to the recommender the specific schools I was applying to.

It's fine. Just remember to change the school names on the LORs as someone mentioned above as well as your essays! ( I almost submitted one that said "I want to attend USC..." to another school !!!!)