Does it look bad to take 13 credit hours to study for MCAT 2015 look bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asigna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I got a little issue:

I'm planning to take 13 credit hours of Physics 1 with lab, Ecology, Cell bio, and a writing class. I'm trying to keep my schedule light so I can study for the 2015 MCAT during fall and spring semester- but does this look bad? Also would switching Anatomy and Physiology for Ecology be too much workload if I'm trying to study for MCAT, even if I get to 14 credit hours?

I've taken 12 my first semester due to dropping a class, 17 next semester, 16, and now 15, along with bringing in 6 transfer credits and taking a summer class too. My GPA is 3.901 so that's not an issue, but I'm just wondering if this is fine.

Suggestions please! Thanks ahead!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean I don't think it would be a big deal but would taking 13/14 credit hours for my junior year be fine? I plan to do 17-18 my senior year and then prob take a course in the summer.

You will be fine. Do all you can to prepare; you and I both. Good luck!

I guess I'm just fixated on the NUMBER of credit hours rather than the content. My friend always tells me it's not necessarily about how many credit hours you take, its about WHAT you take. Hopefully I can get this mindset in..

I wouldn't worry about it. Taking less credits now will force you to take more credits in the future so it will all balance out. Plus with a 3.9 gpa no one will be concerned about you not taking a heavier course load.

At the end of the day, your MCAT score is just as significant as your GPA, so do your best to have enough time to prepare for it as best as you can!

Hey everyone I got a little issue:

I'm planning to take 13 credit hours of Physics 1 with lab, Ecology, Cell bio, and a writing class. I'm trying to keep my schedule light so I can study for the 2015 MCAT during fall and spring semester- but does this look bad? Also would switching Anatomy and Physiology for Ecology be too much workload if I'm trying to study for MCAT, even if I get to 14 credit hours?

I've taken 12 my first semester due to dropping a class, 17 next semester, 16, and now 15, along with bringing in 6 transfer credits and taking a summer class too. My GPA is 3.901 so that's not an issue, but I'm just wondering if this is fine.

Suggestions please! Thanks ahead!
13 hours is full-time, no? Sounds like neurosis.

I highly doubt a medical school is going to care about how many credit hours you took a semester, don't worry bout' it!

I think you forgot what the start of the thread subject was before you finished typing it, so you typed it again.

Seriously though, you're fine. 13 credit hours is full time, no one cares.

It will not hurt you. I took 13 units nearly every quarter of college and I did quite well this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you forgot what the start of the thread subject was before you finished typing it, so you typed it again.

Seriously though, you're fine. 13 credit hours is full time, no one cares.

Yeah haha I just noticed that.

I guess I'm focusing too much on being "competitive" by taking more credit hours.

I guess I'm focusing too much on being "competitive" by taking more credit hours.
This is how a smart person can become a nut case. Nobody wants this.

Get a good MCAT. Apply to places that might want you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing the same, taking less credits while MCAT studying this semester. It's fine; plus you're taking 3 science classes, that's by no means taking it easy.

Looks like I'm not the only one who had that idea. My reasoning is that you need a decent MCAT score to get into Med school, you don't need to take 15+ credit hours each semester. Priorities...

Relax! I had a few semesters of 13 credit hours. No one cared. Don't worry so much about the minute details.

Never took over 15 credits while in school. It was not brough up one time in interviews. Multiple acceptances.

I only took 12 credit hours per semester my junior year. Was it looked down upon? Probably. BUT, I used the extra time to study for the MCAT. With the extra time, I scored much better than my peers. In the end, I think a great MCAT score is better than a "hey look at me, I took 18 credit hours."